'iPhone Extreme' reference spotted in Apple.com HTML code

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This one's a stretch, but a one-off mention of a product dubbed "iPhone Extreme" in the HTML code of one of Apple Inc.'s iPhone web pages has raised some eyebrows.

Credit for this find goes out to Tom over at the iPhoneBugList, who stumbled upon the reference while attempting to interface his own site with Apple's iPhone feedback form (which is where the reference was spotted).

Nestled within the HTML code for the feedback form is a hidden variable called "product" which contain the value "iPhone Extreme." Unfortunately, that's the extent of the rumor.

Obviously, speculation is that "iPhone Extreme" could represent some new product down the line, a new name for the current iPhone if a cheaper and less capable version is released, or simply nothing at all.

On the other hand, this hidden variable with its associated value of "iPhone Extreme" is currently being submitted to Apple's feedback script each and every time a user fills out the form.

So either Apple is not yet checking for the variable upon submission, or the company is well aware of the naming convention and has implemented it in such a way for a specific reason. It will be interesting to see if the code changes in the coming hours.

Update: The "iPhone Extreme" reference was simply a sloppy copy-and-paste job on the part of an Apple webmaster who apparently used the company's existing AirPort Extreme feedback form in creating one for the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Bring it on baby! The reason for the price drop is so Apple can bump it back up $200 when this "iPhone Extreme" is unleashed.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I refuse to follow any of this crap, lunch time.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I refuse to follow any of this crap, lunch time.

Then why the hell did you post garbage and waste our time -- those of us who DO follow this crap?
  • Reply 4 of 45
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

Then why the hell did you post garbage and waste our time -- those of us who DO follow this crap?

That would be called crap supplemented with more crap. But I'm sure one would make a distinction between what types of crap we're talking about.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Sweet, now that this news has broke, I can be the first to say "Posted from my iPhone Extreme"
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Could just be a web developer having a little fun. The product value is necessary to direct it the location for whatever processing Apple does with the feedback, so instead of just putting in "iPhone" the developer thought it was more interesting to name it the "iPhone Extreme" because, you know, the iPhone rocks to the Extreme!

Or maybe they just wanted something longer than iPhone so it wouldn't be so close to iPod.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Rather unusual name for Apple. Perhaps a "gaming" iPhone?
  • Reply 8 of 45
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Wowwwww, it's EXTREEEEEEEEME. It'll make me want to surf naked with my hair on fire!!!

Seriously, I hate names like that. So played out. \

• Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Wowwwww, it's EXTREEEEEEEEME.

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle reference? Anyone?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I hope they have a better name than that.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    cs1cs1 Posts: 3member
    Look at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ . Airport Extreme is the first product (on that page). I'd say they took the Airport-feedback-page as a template and forgot to change that variable.

(Why do I have time to think about such things...)
  • Reply 12 of 45
    to me it sounds more like an 3G iphone... airport extreme is/was faster 802.11g/n....
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

to me it sounds more like an 3G iphone... airport extreme is/was faster 802.11g/n....

? I didn't talk about the product but the page... did you read the original post?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    This was a pretty awesome find Tom. Even if it turns out to be nothing, i'm impressed. Even better I'm watching war games and the NORAD computer has 9 of the 10 launch codes and is about to blow a gasket over losing a simple game of tic-tac-toe. i'm not sure what that has to do with HTML in the apple website, but if you find the code, "joshua" please alert a dr. stephan falken before contacting an apple chat board.

• Reply 15 of 45
    i did read the whole article, but how did i misinterpret it?

ithought the discovery was about guessing what iphone might be meant by "iphone extreme"??? no????
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Could this be a link to AirportExtreme that would allow you to play tunes from your iphone to a stereo? iPhone would make a great remote unit.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Like, iPhoneFree - No Contracts, No Exclusive Carriers, No Single Network, No Locked Phone, No Hacking, No Releasing without an SDK, No Releasing without Bountiful 3rd Party Apps, & No Firmware Updates that looses 3rd party apps and bricks the phone.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Like, iPhoneFree - No Full Cost Phone (subsidized for free), No Contracts, No Exclusive Carriers, No Single Network, No Locked Phone, No Hacking, No Releasing without an SDK, No Releasing without Bountiful 3rd Party Apps, & No Firmware Updates that looses 3rd party apps and bricks the phone.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

i did read the whole article, but how did i misinterpret it?

ithought the discovery was about guessing what iphone might be meant by "iphone extreme"??? no????

I thought your comment was an answer to my comment... sorry
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the other hand, this hidden variable with its associated value of "iPhone Extreme" is currently being submitted to Apple's feedback script each and every time a user fills out the form.

So either Apple is not yet checking for the variable upon submission, or the company is well aware of the naming convention and has implemented it in such a way for a specific reason. It will be interesting to see if the code changes in the coming hours.

I think the fact that the string is being sent back with every request suggests that the current iPhone is what Apple is referring to internally as the iPhone Extreme and that sometime in the not too distant future they might release some form of iPhone Nano. This would be a cheaper/less capable phone that would be aimed more at the masses than the current iPhone users. This is how I believe that Apple plans to sell 10 million iPhones next year.