Briefly: Office 2008 info; 'House' to be pulled from iTunes; more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft continues to reveal itty bitty details of Office 2008 for Mac one at a time in an effort to spur interest in the now tardy productivity suit. Meanwhile, NBC's rift with iTunes has claimed yet another hit TV show. And smartphone maker HTC is preaching iPhone-like sales numbers for one of its own touch-based handsets.

New Office 2008 for Mac Toolbox

Microsoft's Mac Business Unit on Tuesday began offering the second of what it promises to be "several more exciting Sneak Peeks of Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac."

The latest info -- available via the Office 2008 Sneak Peek site -- focuses on the Office Toolbox, which has been revamped as a "one-stop destination for some of the most useful tools in Office for Mac."

Microsoft has incorporated the original Office for Mac Toolbox and Formatting Palette into a single user interface -- a Mac-only feature aimed at providing users with "instant access to the tools they need, including Object Palette, Animation Settings, Citations, and Formula Builder."

Office 2008 for Mac is due for a release in mid-January, about the same time Macworld Expo rolls around. Pricing and package details were disclosed last week.

'House' pulled from iTunes

Meanwhile, it appears that Fox's hit television show "House" will become an unfortunate casualty of NBC's rift with Apple over iTunes pricing.

New episodes of show will not be available on the digital download service, a spokesperson for Apple confirmed to B&C.

Despite airing on Fox, "House" is produced by Universal Media Studios, a subsidiary of NBC Universal, which is severing its ties with iTunes when its contract expires in December.

HTC claims iPhone-like numbers

Taiwan smartphone maker High Tech Computer Corp (HTC) said on Monday it had sold 800,000 units of its own branded HTC Touch phone, launched in Europe and Asia around the same time that Apple's iPhone hit U.S. shelves in June.

"This is better than I expected ... We feel very good about our success," chief executive Peter Chou told Reuters in an interview, adding that the smartphone's popularity was close to that enjoyed by the iPhone.

HTC Touch Dual.

Chou was speaking as HTC launched a second "touch" device, the Touch Dual, which has a keyboard function as well as the touch screen system used in the first phone. Orange has signed on as the Dual's pan-European partner but the handset can also be used by different operators in individual markets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I actually like the looks of that HTC Touch better than the iPhone. I haven't seen one in-person though.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While those are good sales numbers, with them being sold in both Asia and Europe, with the possibility of a much larger audiance during the time both the HTC Touch and the iPhone have been selling, I'm not sure how the numbers compare.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Bogus statistics. Where shall I start? Let's see, how about 800,000 units to a market of +1.5 billion consumers?

But these asian firms are "Born to be wild", huh...
  • Reply 4 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by help4mac View Post

Bogus statistics. Where shall I start? Let's see, how about 800,000 units to a market of +1.5 billion consumers?

But these asian firms are "Born to be wild", huh...

They didn't supply statistics, they supplied a simple sales number, which is why I added the question. You are supplying a statistic.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    The sales numbers are relevant and correct. However, it is AppleInsider's comparison to iPhone sales that is spurious without further qualification.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    man....

NBC really knows how to piss off a ton of people all at once, eh?

Not to mention, watching The Office premiere on the NBC website's new thing WITH COMMERCIALS was an absolutely horrendous experience. It was at the point where I assumed they purposely made it run poorly in Safari, so I gave it a second try in Firefox. Same experience.

Mind you, I also tested the theory that maybe I just had a slow connection at the time. Nope. Everything else I tried loaded fine. So it's just NBC.

Anyone have any personal recommendations for good torrent sites for NBC shows?

EDIT: I worded that weird... it wasnt a horrendous experience because of the commercials. It was horrendous because of how poorly the site ran/loaded everything. The commercials just sorta... made it suck more balls. Oh! Speaking of that, can someone tell me who was in charge of this decision by NBC/Universal so I can go kick them in the balls?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, it appears that Fox's hit television show "House" will become an unfortunate casualty of NBC's rift with Apple over iTunes pricing.

I don't understand the foolish bickering. I'm no Business major, but according to my logic:

A) Consumers can watch this NBC content for free on their television, TIVO, etc.

B) They are lining up by the thousands to BUY that same content for use on their portable devices.

C) The content owners and the distribution gurus should be holding hands and laughing all the way to the bank! They don't even have to pay for DVDs, packaging . . .
  • Reply 8 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"House", another Universal "Hit" Show to which I have only seen one, yes one, episode on actual tv and none on the web, nor purchased from iTunes or other outlets if there was one...

While NBC/Universal is pulling it's content off or will discontinue tv shows sales on iTunes by years end, I have this to say... I used to have premium cable that included HBO with their movies and HBO produced content like "Deadwood", etc. I had direct cable to cable-ready tv connection and all was fine but then my cable company said they were upgrading their system and service and that direct cable hook-up to a cable ready tv was no longer supported and that in order to avoid seeing "snow" on my HBO channel, I needed to rent a "cable box" for $4.95 a month in order to keep all that "Great" HBO content. (on a side note, hey I was bricked by the cable company)

To which I said, "NO THANKS" and reverted to basic cable and a smaller bill!

To date I have not missed HBO and it's content. I have a feeling that most of the iTunes store base will eventually not miss the lack of your content from iTunes, nor search elsewhere for your product. My opinion, keep in mind, but I think it will be the case. Time will tell as will sales numbers.

So, Good-bye NBC/Universal content. I cannot speak for others, but as for me, I will not miss you! To Apple, I have never purchased an NBC/Universal tv show or movie from iTunes, so with regards to me at least, you will not be losing any revenue and NBC/Universal will not be gaining any.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    I also think this is a totally boneheaded move on NBC's part. They should look to CBS as a model of "video everywhere." CBS has taken the position that they'll distribute their video content basicaly anywhere it can be played, whether it's on their website, on AOL, YouTube, Joost, MySpace, etc., with ads, or on iTunes for money. This kind of consumer-minded approach is exactly what these companies will need to do to adapt to the way people want to consume their content. NBC's single-mindedness is only going to increase piracy of their product, and I highly doubt it will lead to much revenue growth for them.

Quote:

"House", another Universal "Hit" Show to which I have only seen one, yes one, episode on actual tv and none on the web, nor purchased from iTunes or other outlets if there was one...

Okay, dude... just because you haven't watched it doesn't mean it's not a hit. It's one of the top-rated shows on TV, consistently ranked in the top 10 primetime programs, because millions of other people do watch it.

---

P.S. AI: I don't understand why you always italicize the names of the networks... FOX and NBC Universal are just corporate names that don't need anything more than appropriate capitalization. It's not like they're the titles of a book or something.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    eyeTV is a simple soluton to this problem. eyeTV also has editing features to quickly remove the commercials.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

The sales numbers are relevant and correct. However, it is AppleInsider's comparison to iPhone sales that is spurious without further qualification.

Appleinsider did not make the comparison, they were just reporting that the CEO was making that comparison. Don't scold the messenger.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Man. NBC finally got me where it hurts. This destroys my plan of canceling my cable service and going iTunes only. I could live without everything else on NBC, but I'm as addicted to House as House is addicted to the Vicodin.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Man. NBC finally got me where it hurts. This destroys my plan of canceling my cable service and going iTunes only. I could live without everything else on NBC, but I'm as addicted to House as House is addicted to the Vicodin.

Many in your position would probably resort to piracy.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    I find it odd that ABC and CBS are more open-minded about distribution than NBC, which remains the ratings cellar.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Are you prevented from installing an antenna? Really, EyeTV can capture from over the air better quality video than what iTunes, hulu or where ever will sell you. Unless geography or local housing regs prevent you, I don't see the point in paying for a video service to get NBC.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

man....

Anyone have any personal recommendations for good torrent sites for NBC shows?

Hmm, don't like the terms, just go out and take it huh? While you are on the torrent site, maybe you could get a copy of Leopard and iLife?
  • Reply 17 of 38
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It's funny that the supposed experts--the phone companies that have been doing this for a while now and laughed at Apple's predicitions that they would come in and shake the industry--are now reeling and using the iPhone to gauge their own success.

But, as expected, all the handset makers have finally paid attention to the USER experience, instead of catering to the technical needs of entrenched cellular providers, and are slowly starting to produce handsets that don't suck donkey balls.

Some have even been almost as good as the iPhone.

The moral is: Don't laugh at your little brother. He might be smarter than you and could eventually kick your stupid ass.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    1) That HTC thing is a piece of shit in real life. I've seen it and used it.

2) NBC are idiots. Guess the TORRENT revolution is back on track baby. May P2P show you the light baby!!
  • Reply 19 of 38
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimmy01 View Post

1) That HTC thing is a piece of shit in real life. I've seen it and used it.

Hardware and/or software wise? I wondered how the Touch interface over WM6 would be.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Many in your position would probably resort to piracy.

I know many would, and hopefully that fact will get NBC back in line, but that's just not how I roll...anymore...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are you prevented from installing an antenna?

I could, but I don't get reception where I live, and my TV doesn't have a tuner built in.