Interview: "no evidence" Apple understands gaming

Comments

• Reply 61 of 192
    Since that the majority of people who own a Mac are casual gamers, why dont Apple start of with something simple that wouldn't take a long time to port? for instance Pop Cap Games make loads of very simple but highly addictive games dont cost very much at all.
  • Reply 62 of 192
    I just wish they would update Hoyle Board Games to run under OSX>

If they would do that I could get a new iMac or maybe even a Mac Pro.

Hey what can I say I like Pachisi
  • Reply 63 of 192
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    But that is sad sad sad. Why's everyone saying Macs don't need games? It's not like having games is something BAD, it's quite on the contrary - it helps platform adoption.

Rants aside, I personally REALLY want to play Half-Life 2 on my Mac. Really. And I'm sure many other people do as well. I've even written to Valve about that, so they're probably seeing the interest in Mac community but it SUCKS to know Apple doesn't want to do anything. The world is not all iPhone. They shouldn't forget Macs and the more types of apps it has - the better.
  • Reply 64 of 192
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Games are "one of the biggest things holding them back in the consumer space," he said. "If you look at a Macintosh right now, it does a lot of things really well compared to a Vista PC, but there are no games.

Boy is this guy clueless! There aren't any games for the PC or Vista either! Games on the computer are dead. Do some research. Consoles sell many more games than PC or Mac games. And there are games for the Mac.

People are not playing games on the computer anymore. The consoles are far more powerful. XBox 360 and PS3 with their HD support blow away anything on a PC screen. PS2 titles still outnumber any competing console or PC. I would much rather play a game on a nice large HDTV any day.

So these poor game developers that still think there is money to be made in PC gaming are pretty clueless. They need to focus their efforts on the consoles.
  • Reply 65 of 192
    Look people,

Steve said no.
  • Reply 66 of 192
    Apple would sell more Macs if they supported the gamer. I used to game semi professionally and the gaming market is huge. Apple really are missing out by ignoring the gaming population. A lot of gamers would gladly move over to OS X. Stability, better recourse management and the fact that it's Unix would appeal to many. It's just the hardware and lack of available titles that's stopping them. If Apple updated their mindset on gaming and came up with some clever marketing to promote it, they could increase their install base dramatically.
  • Reply 67 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Boy is this guy clueless! There aren't any games for the PC or Vista either! Games on the computer are dead. Do some research. Consoles sell many more games than PC or Mac games. And there are games for the Mac.

People are not playing games on the computer anymore. The consoles are far more powerful. XBox 360 and PS3 with their HD support blow away anything on a PC screen. PS2 titles still outnumber any competing console or PC. I would much rather play a game on a nice large HDTV any day.

So these poor game developers that still think there is money to be made in PC gaming are pretty clueless. They need to focus their efforts on the consoles.

Sigh.
  • Reply 68 of 192
    Quote:

You are clearly an idiot. What the heck do you know about the computer game market that someone who works in the computer game industry doesn't? If there wasn't money to be made in the computer game market, do you really think Valve, Blizzard, or EA would waste resources continuing to create games for PC's? Sorry, EA isn't making PC games just for the fun of it. If PC games weren't making money, EA would shut down that division in a heartbeat.

Perhaps you should do some research before talking out of your a**.
  • Reply 69 of 192
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Apple should focus on chess. The chess icon is a beauty while the pawns and the actual chessboard are horrendous to the eye. They should move away from the kitchy grass, metal, marble chessboard or whatever. They even screwed up the wood.
  • Reply 70 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Apple should focus on chess. The chess icon is a beauty while the pawns and the actual chessboard are horrendous to the eye. They should move away from the kitchy grass, metal, marble chessboard or whatever. They even screwed up the wood.

It looks like Apple purchased it in 2003 but it doesn't look like it's been updated since the early 90s. I've always felt they should include more simple games in OS X.
  • Reply 71 of 192
    Sorry I can't not rip this guy. I tried to resist, but I just can't!

Quote:

Boy is this guy clueless! There aren't any games for the PC or Vista either

You are calling the president on one of the most successful game development companies of all time clueless? Valve have been responsible for titles such as Half Life and Counter Strike, two of the most successful games of all time. Then you go on to say that there are not games for the PC or Vista. Unless you're talking about crappy dance games or ultra unrealistic kiddie platform games almost ALL games developed for the XBox or PS can be found for the PC.

Quote:

Do some research.

Yes you do that before you post unfounded comments in the future!

Quote:

People are not playing games on the computer anymore.

Where did you pull that from? The whole professional gaming community is based on it.

Quote:

The consoles are far more powerful.

lol, you have no clue do you.

Quote:

XBox 360 and PS3 with their HD support blow away anything on a PC screen. PS2 titles still outnumber any competing console or PC. I would much rather play a game on a nice large HDTV any day.

Umm.. PC screens are more than capable of displaying HD content. In fact, you will find that there are currently and proportionally far more HD compatable displays being used on gaming 'PCs' than you will find connected up to games console.

Quote:

Yes they do and that's why they make hundreds of millions and you don't!
  • Reply 72 of 192
    tazznbtazznb Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sladuuch View Post

Gaming is huge, and anyone who thinks that "gaming" is nothing but Quake 4 running on a box that looks like a traffic accident with 2 8800GTXs in it and fans the size of a fat lady's thighs is just dead wrong. That crowd is incredibly small, and the vast majority of "gamers" play their games with a minimum of technical knowledge because they (gasp!) like to play games. The Sims 2, for example, is an incredibly popular example of this, and yet it plays like a dog on the MacBook--the most popular Mac sold these days. Don't think many people like playing The Sims? The original in the series was the first game to beat the sales of Myst (12 million copies sold), which came out in 1993. People who have never even heard of a dedicated graphics card play games that require them on the PC side because it doesn't cost $2000 to buy a laptop that comes with one. Lots of people routinely play graphically-intensive titles without being "hardcore" enough to live the "gaming lifestyle" you seem to think that playing games requires.

If the MacBook had an NVIDIA 8400 in it, it'd be no problem for all but the highest-end games these days and would certainly play the kind of "non-hardcore" 3D games people buy in the truckloads. This would help a whole lot.

The other problem is the lack of a low-price expandable desktop. If you want expandability and future-proofness, the $2000+ Mac Pro is the way to go, but it's almost twice the cost of many PC gaming rigs (such as the one I put together for a friend last month, which clocked in at under $800 and included an 8800GTS). A sub-$1000, smaller-form-factor desktop that had a PCI slot and a removable hard drive would be pretty perfect for this (and yes, it could even *gasp!* retain Apple's stunning industrial design!).

Apple's choice to ignore gaming is just that--a choice. If there were a will, there would be a way.

I'm happy that I finally found someone one this msg board that has a clue. These are my sentiments exactly.

I have PLENTY of friends that would buy an Apple computer if Apple had a clue (which it definitely doesn't).

I would love to not have to boot into XP to play any games.

Apple... clue No. 2 Get better friggin' video card support, more cards period, and especially for 3D design.

Even when gaming on PCs was a behemoth Apple has ALWAYS FOUND A WAY TO TOTALLY SCREW IT UP! If Apple were to win over all PC gamers I believe they would definitely more than double their user base..... DUH!

Steve.... STEVE.... S-T-E-V-E !!! there are more computer tastes here outside of your own.

It's sad I had to wait until 2007 to spend money on an Apple computer again.

BTW I'm just a casual gamer who won't buy a computer that I can't do everything with, and (even though I have the technical finesse) I don't like to spend too much time under the chassis.

There are many like me out there. I have a job, and not a lot of free time.
  • Reply 73 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

However, as a shareholder I can how adding better video cards and beating out comparable games in frames-per-second or what ahve you would have bring over more switchers since that seems to be the most important thing to these people and I know many people whose lives are entrenched in WoW. Some to the point of losing girlfriends and leading to divorces. Is it really that addictive?

I don't know about WoW, but my past addiction to Football Manager did more harm to my personal life than getting addicted to dope...

Yes, game addiction is a disease.
  • Reply 74 of 192
    I agree with the Valve guy; I also hear Apple say they are committed to games just about every other year. But still Apple does not address the "real" flaws with gaming on Macs.

On the other hand, Apple may have solved a major flaw with bootcamp. This greatly reduces the number of flaws with Mac gaming: just run windows.

Aside from having a lot more games to choose from, there's this:

- the videocard drivers for Windows are a lot better (people call it "mature", but I don't see any nudity . A nice feature of the nvidia drivers for windows, is to overclock the card. I managed to OC my tired 7300GT from 350Mhz to 500Mhz and make Valve's excellent Half Life 2 run quite acceptable.

- most games are optimized for windows/directX. That is why the same title on the same hardware will run faster on windows, than on mac. see here: http://www.barefeats.com/imacal3.html

- when running windows on a Mac, you should be able to use the latest and greatest videocard. Keep it in another slot and use a monitor switch when you boot back in Mac. Note; Apple did choose to use some non standard powercables in the Mac Pro.

So basically, only three problems remain:

- Please, please, please Apple: why are you the last to still sell the 1900XT? And for uber$$$ too? Please start supporting newer cards. Oh and sell a little adaptor for the powercord inside the Mac Pro. Yet another easy way to make a shameless $19

- optionally bundle Windows with a Mac. Call it "Game edition", or something.

- stop trying to get native Mac games. stop telling people how great gaming on a Mac is.
  • Reply 75 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by okeribok View Post

So basically, only three problems remain:

- Please, please, please Apple: why are you the last to still sell the 1900XT? And for uber$$$ too? Please start supporting newer cards. Oh and sell a little adaptor for the powercord inside the Mac Pro. Yet another easy way to make a shameless $19

- optionally bundle Windows with a Mac. Call it "Game edition", or something.

- stop trying to get native Mac games. stop telling people how great gaming on a Mac is.

If Apple would release a smaller, lower spec Mac Pro with some decent graphics and drivers then it would become the fastest selling Mac in Apple's history.
  • Reply 76 of 192
    [duplicate post]
  • Reply 77 of 192
    Quote:

At least with support groups for drug addiction, such as cocaine ( I went with a friend for support), there were lots of hot, thin women with money. With MMORPG support groups, if they exist, I assume it would be mainly a bunch of over weight men.

Overweight?? That's assuming you get up from your chair to eat!!!

Seriously though, I actually lost weight when I was addicted, and it was sad to find that most people don't take game addiction seriously...
  • Reply 78 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

I don't know about WoW, but my past addiction to Football Manager did more harm to my personal life than getting addicted to dope...

At least with support groups for drug addiction, such as cocaine ( I went with a friend for support), there were lots of hot, thin women with money. With MMORPG support groups, if they exist, I assume it would be mainly a bunch of overweight men with poor diet, poor hygiene and rudimentary social skills. (Yes, I'm well aware of the stereotypes I just implied among addicted gamers, don't blame me, blame South Park's "Make Love Not WarCraft" episode)
  • Reply 79 of 192
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

A semantic comment (?quibble?) here: Las Vegas calls gambling "gaming". From the title I thought that the article was somehow about Apple getting involved with on-line gambling.

No, that's your fault for getting stuck with one definition of the word when it's not the only valid one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the need for a pc to play networked games is gone. the need for a $5,000 pc to get good 3d graphics is gone. i suppose if halo 3 were playable with my keyboard and mouse the way quake was i might try it. no, that would require a $450 console investment.

You are way overplaying the cost of a game PC that it's not funny. If you want to look plausible in your arguments, stay away from the stupid hyperbole.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Microsoft has not officially released an EFI windows yet. HP has EFI servers and they had to make an EFI boot manager to be able to launch windows 2k3.

EFI support is required to be able boot on Itanium servers & workstations, and Microsoft supported both. There is no BIOS for Itanium that I've heard about. They have not taken that knowledge to the x86 versions. Their reasoning when they said that was because there's no point to putting any man-hours into porting it when there's no hardware to use it.
  • Reply 80 of 192
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I know many people whose lives are entrenched in WoW. Some to the point of losing girlfriends and leading to divorces. Is it really that addictive?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

Quote:

At least with support groups for drug addiction, such as cocaine ( I went with a friend for support), there were lots of hot, thin women with money.

I don't follow though. Are you suggesting that people get addicted so they can meet others at support groups? That's the only reasonable interpretation to your response that I can conjure, but that is clearly absurd. Even suggesting that people can choose what they get addicted to is shaky. Getting your impressions of a group from a parody is silly too. Should people get what they know about Mac users from Penny Arcade's early strips?