Apple unleashes new "Seed Update" for Leopard testers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    gjwgjw Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The requirements for Leopard I read this week state it requires FireWire. Why?

FireWire was also a requirement for Tiger.

And on-board USB was a requirement for Panther.

Sometimes Apple throws something into the system requirements that on the surface don't seem particularly relevant. The reason for this is because the introduction of that feature coincides with some other change that is relevant but is much more difficult for the typical user to identify. 10.3 didn't need USB, for example. It needed the New World ROM; but try explaining what that means to Grandpa Chester.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:

? Two are related to .Mac syncing & Contacts/iCal & Back to Mac. I'm having this too but .Mac really needs some improvement. I put the blame there.

I suspect the new Contacts/iCal data format might be incompatible between the Leopard and Tiger versions. The way they sync, as far as I understand, is just copying their data files to and from iDisk.

Quote:

? Issues with Remote Desktop 3.1 on Leopard. This can be solved with a Remote Desktop update via Software Update. Leopard has it's own remote desktop built into Finder which may be causing some issues with use of frameworks. I find it much simpler to use, though it has less features. It doesn't work when connecting to Tiger.

I was able to connect to Tiger from Leopard using its native "Screen sharing" option, when browsing available shares. The problem with Leopard's native remote access tools is that there's no way to install packages remotely, no way to collect information about remote systems, no way to observe users' screen (you're given full control instead), and no way to chat with the remote user, all of which are quite important features for remote administration.

Quote:

? Time Machine** won't let you restore files that aren't owned by the user. This is also a seemingly simple fix that can be pushed out with an update to Time Machine. Time Machine shouldn't even be listing these files owned by Root as it's not even enabled by default.

Since there's technically no "root" user in Mac OS X (it exists, but you can't log into GUI as root - it's all purely sudo based), you _should_ be able to restore files, owned by root, the same way you'd do in Finder: with a prompt for your password. But in Time Machine currently nothing happens - no error messages, no prompts for password, no job is done. It quietly ignores your instructions. It is a bug, in my opinion, and I'm sure quote a lot of people would stumble upon it almost the first time they'd have to use it to restore a file.

Another thing, I was surprised that Apple Mail doesn't have support for Time Machine, the way Address Book does, for example.

Quote:

? No Resolution Independence as far as i can tell looks like a no but I can't be sure, but I really don't need it on my notebook displays so I haven't given it much thought. Apple won't hold off going Gold to wait for RI to be ready.

? There are some cosmetics that need to be worked out. Save for iTunes, Aqua scroll bars are still in most apos. Again, this won't keep Apple from going Gold. I think it says that Apple has focused on stability and speed of Leopard instead of the little things that can be fixed later screams to me that an October release is going to happen.

All this, while not such a big deal, is just another reason for Windows people to make fun of Apple. Apple was making fun of Vista, because it was delayed by so much - and yet, Leopard got delayed. They were making fun of Vista because a lot of major features didn't make it to release, and yet again: looks like some of the features, promised in Leopard, are not going to make it. It just looks very immature of Steve Jobs and his colleagues to make fun of Vista, and yet suffer from all the same problems at the same time.

I'm really saddened by what's going on with Apple lately. It's slowly, but surely, becomes a laughingstock of computer industry. Childish attitude and jabs towards its competitors, strange attitude towards developers of iPhone applications, totally sucky support for .Mac and iTunes... I'm not sure what exactly they're trying to achieve, but I'm sure as hell: they're risking to anger their most valuable asset - their user base.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farlander View Post

All this, while not such a big deal, is just another reason for Windows people to make fun of Apple. Apple was making fun of Vista, because it was delayed by so much - and yet, Leopard got delayed. They were making fun of Vista because a lot of major features didn't make it to release, and yet again: looks like some of the features, promised in Leopard, are not going to make it. It just looks very immature of Steve Jobs and his colleagues to make fun of Vista, and yet suffer from all the same problems at the same time.

I'm really saddened by what's going on with Apple lately. It's slowly, but surely, becomes a laughingstock of computer industry. Childish attitude and jabs towards its competitors, strange attitude towards developers of iPhone applications, totally sucky support for .Mac and iTunes... I'm not sure what exactly they're trying to achieve, but I'm sure as hell: they're risking to anger their most valuable asset - their user base.

I agree with everything you are saying and Apple surely seems to be spreading itself a little thin these days. Finding new OS X programmers can't be easy when you consider Apple's growth.

Leopard will surely be compared to Vista when it officially arrives but as a user of both Leopard much more stable and faster, especially with older machines. The ease of use of network shares and screen shring in Leopard over Tiger and the loss of a freezing Finder when a shrae goes away are a major plus. In comparison, I have had nothing but trouble getting Vista to network with even WinXP, though hopefully SP1 will resolve this. And the delays with Vista are nothing compared to the 4(?) month delay of Leopard.

I do think Apple made the right choice with focusing on the iPhone first as it will surely help to sell more Macs.

I predict Gold on Thursday, October 4th at 2:30pm.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Let's hope so.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:

And the delays with Vista are nothing compared to the 4(?) month delay of Leopard.

I do think Apple made the right choice with focusing on the iPhone first as it will surely help to sell more Macs.

Seeing as how Vista/Longhorn was originally slated for release in 2005 (or earlier?) and didn't make it until 2007, I think you meant that a 4 month Leopard delay is nothing compared to the 2 year delay of Vista.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Good enough.....never is.

I can certainly wait. Even though it is killing me.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Seeing as how Vista/Longhorn was originally slated for release in 2005 (or earlier?) and didn't make it until 2007, I think you meant that a 4 month Leopard delay is nothing compared to the 2 year delay of Vista.

Ouch.

...well said!
  • Reply 28 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for clarifying.

BTW, Leopard is so ready to go Gold.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

I don't think it will be delayed again. I think it will go Gold soon for a Tuesday, October 30th release. I know some of the issues farlander mentions* are real (haven't checked everything) but I think that the overall stability & speed for items that most people will be using are 'good enough' for x.0 release, especially when compared to Vista's release. Plus, in the weeks that Apple needs it printed Apple will still be working on the x.1, which we may see in Software Update the day if the release or very soon after.

* Here are his issues with the latest build:

? Two are related to .Mac syncing & Contacts/iCal & Back to Mac. I'm having this too but .Mac really needs some improvement. I put the blame there.

? Issues with Remote Desktop 3.1 on Leopard. This can be solved with a Remote Desktop update via Software Update. Leopard has it's own remote desktop built into Finder which may be causing some issues with use of frameworks. I find it much simpler to use, though it has less features. It doesn't work when connecting to Tiger.

? Front Row freezing on some Video_TS files. Again, I don't think this is a deal breaker for going Gold. An update to Front Row down the line should do the trick.

? Time Machine** won't let you restore files that aren't owned by the user. This is also a seemingly simple fix that can be pushed out with an update to Time Machine. Time Machine shouldn't even be listing these files owned by Root as it's not even enabled by default.

? No Resolution Independence as far as i can tell looks like a no but I can't be sure, but I really don't need it on my notebook displays so I haven't given it much thought. Apple won't hold off going Gold to wait for RI to be ready.

? There are some cosmetics that need to be worked out. Save for iTunes, Aqua scroll bars are still in most apos. Again, this won't keep Apple from going Gold. I think it says that Apple has focused on stability and speed of Leopard instead of the little things that can be fixed later screams to me that an October release is going to happen.

** We've all seen the latest default background and startup background of build 9A559. To me it's directly relating to Time Machine. I wonder if Apple will also be selling an Apple-branded external HDD enclosure and drive when Leopard is released. The requirements for Leopard I read this week state it requires FireWire. Why? That makes no sense to me unless Apple--for marketing reason-- is really trying to showcase Time Machine. If so, then I'd also expect to see FW800 on the next iteration of Macbook.

Also do not forget Mail crashes when using stationary and having "spell before sending" in preferences
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for clarifying.

BTW, Leopard is so ready to go Gold.

I've found a couple more bugs in the current beta... One of which is quite a big show stopper: Front Row is not working with shared content (from other macs on the network). Another - Time Machine hangs occasionally during an incremental backup (had it happened on three occasions, all at night, so can't really tell exactly why it froze, but the only way to fix that was to completely reboot the system).

So to me it still looks like beta. If it is released as it is right now - it will make Apple look even worse than it already does, with iPhone locking and everything. I seriously doubt Apple needs more bad publicity right now. Although, if they are not ready for release this month - whatever they do, it's not going to be pretty: either release buggy product, or delay the release until it's more stable...
  • Reply 31 of 32
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    I think,

end of october: announcement of release to avoid loss of face

somewhere in november: actual release
  • Reply 32 of 32
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    This seed update slows down my WLAN in two ways:

* When waking my MacBook from sleep it takes about twice as long to reconnect to the WLAN as it did before the update. It's a question of seconds of course, but it is really noticable anyway. I can easily open a new Safari window and start to load a web page before the reconnect is finished (the web page load of course fails since there is no connection). Really annoying.

By the way, I have the same problem with 10.4 after the latest airport security update was installed.

* Some web pages take longer to load. This is not as noticable as the above problem, but still quite easy to see.

The update also moves the airport object (in network settings) to the bottom of the list. Moving it back to the top changes nothing though.

I also tried to delete airport settings and plist:s, network connection and network object (i.e. delete the airport object from the network settings list and re-creating it). Didn't change anything.

I reinstalled the 9A559 version and problems disappeared.