Briefly: Office 2008 info; 'House' to be pulled from iTunes; more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Hmm, don't like the terms, just go out and take it huh? While you are on the torrent site, maybe you could get a copy of Leopard and iLife?

Terms? Under what terms can mac users watch these shows, much less download them to an iPod or appleTV? Is there a legal way to watch NBC shows on a mac?

It's not easy to stick to legal options when there are none.

Personally I don't see the appeal of torrents compared with good old usenet.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Hmm, don't like the terms, just go out and take it huh? While you are on the torrent site, maybe you could get a copy of Leopard and iLife?

Haha, it was more of a joke than anything. I used my switch from PC to Apple as sort of a transition to actually paying for everything.

Microsoft didn't deserve my $$. I feel like Apple is a good fair company (at least in comparison to most) so I don't have trouble paying them for things.

NBC on the other hand... losing my respect quickly.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I actually like the looks of that HTC Touch better than the iPhone. I haven't seen one in-person though.

It's a good looking phone. I saw it in Hong Kong.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Terms? Under what terms can mac users watch these shows, much less download them to an iPod or appleTV? Is there a legal way to watch NBC shows on a mac?

It's not easy to stick to legal options when there are none.

Personally I don't see the appeal of torrents compared with good old usenet.

Well, since you put it that way, I guess it's okay to take whatever you like.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

'House' pulled from iTunes

Meanwhile, it appears that Fox's hit television show "House" will become an unfortunate casualty of NBC's rift with Apple over iTunes pricing.

New episodes of show will not be available on the digital download service, a spokesperson for Apple confirmed to B&C.

Despite airing on Fox, "House" is produced by Universal Media Studios, a subsidiary of NBC Universal, which is severing its ties with iTunes when its contract expires in December.

[/c]

Well, cool, now everyone that wants to watch House will get the HIGH DEF version for FREE...because there is no way to pay for the content...and people wonder why The Pirate Bay is so popular...sheesh

When will our corprate overloards understand that us work-a-day joes will pay for the content, we understand that if we do not pay, either with tolerating ads, or parting with a little cash, the content will at some point stop flowing, but damn, drop the DRM, give us an open format, and...oh yea...HIGH DEF...

Raise your hand if you would pay $2 or even more for a HD MP4 episodes totally platform independent and archivable, so we can continue to enjoy the content fot years or maybe generations to come!

Look, I do not want to break the law, nor does any young person who has some smarts and potential...but I CAN NOT PAY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR WHAT I WANT!!!! I do not seek drugs, smuggled moonshine, cuban cigars, or anything like that, just HD for my life (PC, laptop, work during lunch break (hey, I have a 20 inch LCD so why not?) and where ever else I want it!)

Please hollywood, let us pay you for what we want!
  • Reply 26 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reid View Post

Okay, dude... just because you haven't watched it doesn't mean it's not a hit. It's one of the top-rated shows on TV, consistently ranked in the top 10 primetime programs, because millions of other people do watch it.

My post was my post. I have my fav shows other people have theirs. It was not a condemnation and sorry if you took it that way, not my intent! Like I said in my post, "I have a feeling...", "My opinion...", "I cannot speak for others...", "I will not miss you...", okay dude.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I wonder if they "sold" 800k in the same sense that Microsoft reported "sales" of XBox 360s... meaning, they shipped a bunch to retailers to sit on shelves and in warehouses, from which they would eventually be sold in the future.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"House", another Universal "Hit" Show to which I have only seen one, yes one, episode on actual tv and none on the web, nor purchased from iTunes or other outlets if there was one...

So it's only a hit if YOU watch it?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I would rather watch the shows in HD and 5.1 surround on my Widescreen HDTV. I don't know why anyone would pay for iTunes content when it is 480 resolution and 4:3 aspect. Pretty sad when they advertise the AppleTV to be connected to a Widescreen TV when none of the TV shows are sold in 16:9 ratio. If I am not home, no worries, my TiVo Series 3 will record the HD content.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Hardware and/or software wise? I wondered how the Touch interface over WM6 would be.

Both. It feels clunky and royally unintuitive. Typical MS software. Worth nothing.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

With a USB<-TV Tuner box. Many of which will also allow you to receive the FREE OVER-THE-AIR Digital version of the programming if your local NBC affiliate has gotten around to making the equipment upgrade. (Eventually they all will, because of Congress's analog shut-off ruling.)

(Or in the case of House, I guess you'd replace "NBC" with "Fox" in the above paragraph...)
  • Reply 32 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

My post was my post. I have my fav shows other people have theirs. It was not a condemnation and sorry if you took it that way, not my intent! Like I said in my post, "I have a feeling...", "My opinion...", "I cannot speak for others...", "I will not miss you...", okay dude.

The problem is that your quotes around hit suggested incredulity about whether it really is a hit. Your opinion can be that it's not good, but it doesn't make it not a hit and such an attitude about facts really tells me that your opinion isn't credible either.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

With a USB<-TV Tuner box. Many of which will also allow you to receive the FREE OVER-THE-AIR Digital version of the programming if your local NBC affiliate has gotten around to making the equipment upgrade. (Eventually they all will, because of Congress's analog shut-off ruling.))

Exactly what areas haven't added digital already? I consider my area to be below standard on many things but ALL locals are transmitting digitally, even the independent or minor network affiliates. All the major network affiliates transmit HD if it's available too.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I would rather watch the shows in HD and 5.1 surround on my Widescreen HDTV. I don't know why anyone would pay for iTunes content when it is 480 resolution and 4:3 aspect.

In my case, it's the only way to get it (Heroes) without paying through the nose for cable or satellite. I only want to watch 2 shows so there's no way I'm subscribing for that. I'm also too far away from any major population center to get free over-the-air broadcasts.

BTW, Heroes is in 16:9 and looks better on my TV from my iPod than it does on my parents highly-compressed satellite signal.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    NBC-U is owned and run by people in GE (General Electric) who have proven they can lose huge amounts of money in nearly every market they enter. They screwed up more businesses than they improved after "acquiring" them. Once they lose enough money on NBC-U, they'll break it up, sell it off, and it will heal itself. Unless Microsoft buys it.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I would rather watch the shows in HD and 5.1 surround on my Widescreen HDTV. I don't know why anyone would pay for iTunes content when it is 480 resolution and 4:3 aspect. Pretty sad when they advertise the AppleTV to be connected to a Widescreen TV when none of the TV shows are sold in 16:9 ratio. If I am not home, no worries, my TiVo Series 3 will record the HD content.

Thats interesting. Most all of my shows on AppleTV are in 16:9 ratio. Maybe you have a wrong setting.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Screw NBC. ..and Universal. Greedy gets, both of 'em.

Lemon Bon Bon.