sherlock 3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i don't know if this has been discussed, but what do you guys think of sherlock 3?

i am not impressed...it is SLOW...when i click on one of the icons, it'll take 5-10 seconds to start...i hope this can be accounted by the fact that sherlock 3 is new and it needs more time to get optimized.

??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The only problem I have had with 10.2 is the stupid Mac Help... I don't even dare open that thing.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    The problem here is that each time Sherlock is run, it contacts a master server to check if the plugins are up to date.

Depending on the connection, this can take a few seconds. Hopefully Apple will change how this works in a future version.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Not only is it dirt slow it has "unexpected quit" on me a couple times. Stocks are delayed and lack the flexibility of the yahoo portfolios. Pictures often tells me that it can't find anything before it displays stuff; usually it does not come up with as good hits as google. I like the interface for Movies and Yellow Pages, but other than that I was not favorably impressed.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I'd be impressed if it worked well. It is slow to launch ans switch between panes. It does have bugs (such as saying no pictures...but showing you [very few...] pictures anyway). I'm sorry, but I see no excuse here. Watson does even more stuff and is far faster and more smooth.

A slighlty more fancy presentation (nicer icons, etc) should not make Sherlock crawl. Sometimes Apple just gets new things out the door fast, and I understand why. But here, I think the performance is way off expectancies.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    If you hate Sherlock so much why don't you just use Watson, besides the fact that it costs $30?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Sherlock would be a great app for me if it just had movie listings or yellow pages for canada. Oh well, maybe another release.

Basically, this just boils it down to a fancy google. Just like google, only way slower.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I typed in (as a test) Asian @ss with out the @, but an A, and it gave me 6 pictures of donkeys. I laughed my @ss off. no pun intended.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Also. I tried it in Watson which also searches Lycos for pictures, and got exactly what I was looking for (as a test of course)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    i don't need sherlock 3 or watson. it came with my computer free and i figured i'd try it out. then i came here and asked if anyone had a similar experience. that's all.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I'm not impressed either. Watson is by far a superior product. Sherlock is also missing logical features that Watson does have. The only think that I really use is the Movies feature and the Translator. Those are pretty useful for scheduling dates and doing French homework. I'm sure that Apple will put out an update soon.