iTunes Cover art

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Quick question. This is my first iPod, I'm largely ignorant of the whole deal and I'm curious if there's another way to insert cover art into iTunes database for an Album if it can't find it online?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    steste Posts: 119member
    Meet your two new best friends:

http://www.discogs.com/

http://rateyourmusic.com/

You need to sign up to RateYourMusic to get high-quality images. It's free, takes no time at all, and is well worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I also recommend CD Universe. I get most of my album art from Amazon, but when Amazon doesn't have it, I look at CD Universe next.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    www.covertastic.com gets artwork from Amazon.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The artwork available on Amazon is generally of too low a quality. You want at least 300x300 for decent, full-screen viewing in iTunes, preferably 500x500.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wulfric View Post

Quick question. This is my first iPod, I'm largely ignorant of the whole deal and I'm curious if there's another way to insert cover art into iTunes database for an Album if it can't find it online?

I find using the built in cover art finder in iTunes is the best. If it says it can't find what your looking for, delete any featured artists temporarily, try getting the cover art again for that track, and then re-add the feat. I find the feat. or multiple artists can screw it up.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm working on a creating a new web site, http://www.albumartexchange.com, but it's still a few weeks off from being fully functional. There's only a very small collection now, but a lot of people have e-mailed me (based on the collection that's just a subpart of my personal web site) interested in the idea of contributing to the collection.

It'll probably never be a really big collection, but for what it does have the emphasis is going to be on high quality 600x600 images.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I find using the built in cover art finder in iTunes is the best. If it says it can't find what your looking for, delete any featured artists temporarily, try getting the cover art again for that track, and then re-add the feat. I find the feat. or multiple artists can screw it up.

iTunes can be a tricky beast at times for sure. For example, if you want to download the artwork for any of Elvis Costello & The Attractions' early albums, you have to enter "Elvis Costello" only then add the rest in later. That said, I still can't get the damn thing to download the artwork for Armed Forces no matter which way I enter the Artist field.

It depends how large/diverse your music collection is, of course, but Gracenote can only provide what it has on file; there are many, many albums that it simply does not recognise. This is where Plan B comes into effect: RYM, Discogs, Google Images, Barnes & Noble ... I've even found decent-size artwork on Wal-Mart's website. If you care about this stuff -- and, let's face it, many don't -- you'll soon come to the conclusion that Amazon just doesn't cut it.

Shetline's site is also really good -- big up to you, brah -- but it is small, and we don't share too much in common, musically speaking. I'll check out the new one, though, and if I can add to it any I surely will.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    So where do you save the album cover from these sites too?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacWorthy View Post

So where do you save the album cover from these sites too?

You can simply drag images from your web browser into iTunes -- into the thumbnail view at the lower left corner of the iTunes window, into the Artwork tab of the "Get Info" dialog for a song, or into the artwork field of a multi-song Get Info dialog.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I also get some high resolution cover arts from billboard.com . Its just that some cover arts doesnt look right on BillBoard.com, usually its brighter then its suppose to be but that issue only appear in a few albums though. So no worries
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I want to use the iTunes store, but it's not available in the country where I live (Costa Rica). Is there any other way to create an iTunes account? How about the iTunes gift cards, would those work?

Thanks,

George

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post