Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Says cnet:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9790492-1.html

Blah Blah Blah! The unlocking of the iPhone was more for the international market then for AT&T. Apple only gets subsidy from AT&T as long as the phone is on an open AT&T account. AT&T has nothing to lose if people unlock their phone.. and use *cough* tmobile. Especially since tmobile is just about the worst cellphone carrier in the US. You would effectively have a handset you paid good money for which only has about 1/3 of it's functions working and you can't even update it.

The international carriers have alot more to lose on unlocked iPhones since with the US dollar at an alltime low it would be cheaper to get a hacked US iphone then it would be to get one from the authorized carrier overseas..

Or perhaps the person who wrote this likes only making phone calls in 1/10th of the US.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sys3175 View Post

Especially since tmobile is just about the worst cellphone carrier in the US.

What are you going on about now? I like T-mobile. I've had it for years with no problems.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What are you going on about now? I like T-mobile. I've had it for years with no problems.

My co-worker has it, and we travel throughout the US.. I can tell you there are plenty of interstates out in middle america where I've gotten asked if he could borrow my phone because his had no service. Hey.. if it works for you great. Just pointing out the fact that AT&T is the only true nationwide GSM network in the US that covers a majority of the country (even if through network sharing agreements). In the US an unlocked phone would do no good really, however the ability to use it overseas where there are many competing GSM carriers would be a disaster for them. AT&T really needs to make an overseas network sharing agreement with some of them and make official AT&T oversea US iphone sims.. =) so that you can use an euro network as a pre-paid for a short amount of time as you travel.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I have to agree about T-Mobile. It's not horrible, but I often hit dead spots and I live in New Jersey where coverage is supposed to be OK. Verizon would be a better choice but I really don't like them and there'd be no chance of getting an iPhone with them since they aren't GSM.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    All of this reminds me of the reports here on AI that Apple had acquired a data center (in Texas..?). Who knows what has happened with this location? Is it occupied now? Is Apple making any moves toward becoming their own cell service provider?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:

Ditto. I love T-Mobile and refuse to leave them (which is why I didn't get an iPhone).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:

All of this reminds me of the reports here on AI that Apple had acquired a data center (in Texas..?). Who knows what has happened with this location? Is it occupied now? Is Apple making any moves toward becoming their own cell service provider?

Well there's still that rumor about them bidding on that new bandwidth the FCC is auctioning off.