Possible Bungie departure would open door to Mac games

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakashizuma View Post

Mac sucks @ Gaming; Microsoft wipes the floor with Mac when it comes to Gaming. It's kind a sad how the departure of Bungie is considered important news for Mac ROFL

The rumor is not even confirmed and it wont be confirmed!

Sorry Mac, No Halo 3 for you!

And while you guys finish making "home movies" with your iMovie, me and other gamers around the world on PC platform (Funny eh? there are more PC gamers than mac users ROFL) will do some nice multi-player games! Oh wait....there is a chess game in Mac OSX !

And I don't even want to mention that the Chess application that comes with Macs sucks big time (SigmaChess is a much better alternative). I remember when I bought my iMac, and me being a big chess fan and all, the first application that I launched after setting up my computer was Chess.app... you may not believe it, but it actually crashed the whole computer (had to force a reset) as soon as it tried to load a new game.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pomo View Post

You are so naive to think that there are more PC gamers than Mac users.

How's this....Prove it.

He doesn't need to prove something that is obvious to anyone who has a clue. I'm sorry, but it's the simple truth.

If you do want to do some maths, then take into account that the Mac share is about 5% at best. If there are more Mac users than gamers, that would mean that less than 6% of Windows/Linux users are gamers... duh!
  • Reply 43 of 111
    pomopomo Posts: 51member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A very unusual crowd came out for this story.

Let me get this right, buy an expensive computer AND an expensive console is a better solution than an a properly spec'd expensive computer that can do both. The dual system setup had better be much better because it's a lot more expensive overall.

What I'm trying to say is this.

want games-buy console

simple as that.

Personally, I rather play games on a console instead of playing on my PC because its a waste of HD. Imagine having 10+ games, that's like 100GB. Besides, you get a better gaming experience with a console anyways.

BTW, the only reason I got on Mr. Awesome McArseome's case was because I'm just plain tired of PC kids who arrogantly post nonsense (and think they proved a point ) on this forum.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Damn, I remember when all of Bill's fans were squealing "the only thing Macs are good for is playing games"

It doesn't matter if Steve made a machine that printed legal tender, there are a heck of a lot of folks out there that would want to piss on it cause it only printed $100.00's

Get over it.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

If you think people specifically buy a Mac to play games on, you're nuts. Horses for courses, as another poster said, why splash out on a specced out PC when you could buy a PS3 for a fraction of the price, or some other games console. Says a lot about your life - get a life.

Of course nobody buys a Mac to specifically play games on, simply because everyone knows Macs suck at games. The trend is not likely to change unless Apple does something about it.

And for f***'s sake, stop saying that gamers don't have a life, playing games is actually a lot better for your brains than sitting in front of the tv watching some stupid reality tv show, and millions are getting dumber by the minute...
  • Reply 46 of 111
    Quote:

First of all, I never said that macs were better than PC's when it comes to gaming. I said that that there are more Mac users than PC gamers, which you said the opposite earlier.

Also, I said that playing PC games is pointless because console games are WAY BETTER than pc games. nuff said. You're hopeless

I'm a Mac owner (writing this on a C2D iMac), but I think you're full of crap on both points. I'm fairly certain the PC gaming market is probably several times bigger than the Mac community is.

And no, console games are NOT better than PC/computer games. Most console games are stripped down, common denominator affairs (not much you can do with just the few buttons a console controller provides).

And to mrpiddly, what a dumb a** statement to make stating that someone should take a Mac Pro and shove 2 8800 video cards then boot into Windows to play games. Why not simply save about $2K and skip the Mac Pro and just get a regular PC and shove those two cards into it? In fact the assertion that by ANYONE that someone wanting to play games on a Mac should just use Bootcamp to run Windows is a completely idiotic statement. What is the point in the end?

Sorry, but if you look past the immaturity in his statements, Wakashizuma has some pretty valid points about the pathetic state of gaming on the Mac. Maybe as someone stated in the thread about Valve's statement that it is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts that most Mac purchasers know the Mac's strengths are in Audio/Video/Photography creation and not gaming and thus gamers (or even those just generally interested in gaming) avoid the Mac.
  • Reply 47 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

He doesn't need to prove something that is obvious to anyone who has a clue. I'm sorry, but it's the simple truth.

If you do want to do some maths, then take into account that the Mac share is about 5% at best. If there are more Mac users than gamers, that would mean that less than 6% of Windows/Linux users are gamers... duh!

Being a gamer doesn't equal to someone who plays oregon trail on a PC. (I miss that game ). You forget that most computers are used in offices. That does not represent your average consumer let alone PC gamers.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    freakboyfreakboy Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

What does it matter anymore...

Alex Seropian and most of the original Bungie team left a long time ago to form Wideload, leaving Jason "Kiss Ass" Jones as the only remaining original Bungie developer in the hands of MS. I dunno how much Jason had an impact on the Pathway into Darkness story, the Marathon story or the Myth story but I'm guessing not that much. I think Jason Jones was the lead programmer so all the creative goodness went to Wideload. It kinda shows too. The Halo serie had a somewhat lackluster storyline.

The multiplayer aspect of Halo is excellent but...so was Marathon's and Myth's multiplayer...the multiplayer games are pretty much a direct copy of the previous games (King of the Hill, Kill the Man with the Ball, etc.)

I've never really played Oni (developed by Bungie West I believe and they had development problems that really put a damper on things...multiplayer dropped and levels that felt incomplete according to people that had played the game). I haven't really played Wideload's Stubb the Zombie...I heard it wasn't all that good but it sure was original in a sense.

Anyway...I don't feel like anything good will ever come out of Bungie ever again (or even Wideload)...even if they both produce Mac games. Although, I'm sure they would make more money than most game companies. I mean, if it says Bungie or Blizzard on the box it usually is a good game. And Bungie's games (cept for Oni and PiD) always had solid multiplayer (which seems to be the only thing people care about nowadays.)

Haha.. so funny to listen to someone denegrate one of the all-time best game designers.

jason was (literally) 100% of PiD (ok he didn't do all the art), minotaur, and such a huge influence on the other early bungie games that what you say is comical. He is one of the more creative people i've met.
  • Reply 49 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Um...you left out Episode 2 as well as Portal. And how about Counter Stirke and Day of Defeat? The most insane fun in online play. It's more about quality than quantity anyway. And Valve quality has been unmatched by Bungie. Be it in graphics or storyline.

Yeah I bought Halo 3 and I have fun playing it, but to compare it to Half Life 2 would be absurd. I am sorry but aliens that bleed blue blood and sound like little children make the series way too kiddish compared to Half Life. Bungie also really dropped the ball in the graphics department with Halo3. Extremely underwhelming. It's one thing to argue that you need to keep graphics down when taking the scale of outdoor battle scenes into account but there is absolutely no excuse for the piss poor graphics during the cutscenes. They also have no platform excuse because Bioshock 3 and Gears Of War are both games that play on the same platform that are also older. They look much better than Halo3 and I am willing to bet Bungie had a lot more money at their disposal for development. They have no excuse for not wowing us with the graphics. What sold this game was hype. What sells Valve games is quality and content.

Cheers.

I highly disagree with you. I believe Bungie's quality of game's has gone unmatched by Valve.

The Halo storyline, all of the storyline, is simply amazing. What Bungie has that many other game companies lack is humor. I love grunts, I love killing grunts, I love listening to the "You killed my family!" in the high-pitched scream. While any game can awe with graphics or a completely serious storyline, no game has made me laugh as hard as Halo, have my adrenaline spike as much as it does when I'm playing Halo, or tense in anticipation from what may happen next in the Halo storyline.

Piss poor graphics during cutscenes? Bungie specifically has said "Yes, the cutscenes could have been much better graphics, CGI, yet we are using the actual game engine and can render the cutscenes in real-time." Why? They want the transition from game to cutscene and back to game to be as seamless as they could make it. And i agree with them. I hate games where you think "Oh man, those graphics are so sweet in that cutscene! Look at the facial expressions and how realistic they look." only to then have a load time between cutscene and game and then see to your disappointment that the graphics aren't like that ALL the time.

Gears of War and Bioshock never had the same effect on me as the HDR lighting and forested envirenments that Halo did. GoW's grey palette scheme just put a damper on the game. Was it good for the depressing scenario they were trying to set up? Yes. Did it make me feel like I was walking through a real city? No.

What sells Halo is it's fun factor. It doesn't have the most realistic graphics, or actions, yet I've never had a better time playing a game than I have had while playing Halo with 11 other friends on System Link. And then watching the game again with everyone afterwards with the amazing saved-film feature.
  • Reply 50 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I'm a Mac owner (writing this on a C2D iMac), but I think you're full of crap on both points. I'm fairly certain the PC gaming market is probably several times bigger than the Mac community is.

And no, console games are NOT better than PC/computer games. Most console games are stripped down, common denominator affairs (not much you can do with just the few buttons a console controller provides).

Okay I admit it, I have one game on a PC. The game is Final Fantasy XI . Frankly, I rather play this game with a controller that resembles the one that looks like the Playstation's controller. Based on personal experience, I think playing on the keyboard is so limiting and frustrating. The only thing QWERTY is good for is for what it was made for- to type. Besides, I don't want to be swinging QWERTY around the same way that I would a wii controller .

Another reason why I mentioned FFXI is because FFXIII is coming sometime in the future. PC's will not in a long time be able to tame a game of such processor engine (did I word that right?). So based on this, here is my verdict:

better experience-console
  • Reply 51 of 111
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Several times bigger than 10M? If you include casual gaming that covers flash based web games for sure. Hard core gamers? Given that PC gaming has been on the decline since 1999 I dunno. 38M units sold in the US in 2005. Assuming every single sale was to a different individual sure. That ain't too likely though.

Quote:

The US console market was $4.8B in 2006. The US PC game market was $970M in 2006.

The market disagrees that PC games are better than console games.

Quote:

Sorry, but if you look past the immaturity in his statements, Wakashizuma has some pretty valid points about the pathetic state of gaming on the Mac. Maybe as someone stated in the thread about Valve's statement that it is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts that most Mac purchasers know the Mac's strengths are in Audio/Video/Photography creation and not gaming and thus gamers (or even those just generally interested in gaming) avoid the Mac.

Certainly games are an afterthought on the Mac. On the other hand, every time I visit the local Game Stop it seems the PC games are stuffed into an ever smaller space. Currently it looks how the old Mac Games section looked (one freestanding bookshelf). That is not what I call an over promising sign.

Which is kinda sad because I like mods. On the other hand XNA for the 360 scratches that itch.

Vinea
  • Reply 52 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Original or not they work. Mods are fun and play as different games. I didn't even bother to list all the 3rd party mods but now that you bring that up it should be mentioned. All the 3rd party mods are a blast to play as well and Valve has always encouraged people to do 3rd party mods. And you can get them all on Steam with daily updates to code when needed. Sort of what Xbox360 is doing now with XBox Live. They copied Steam and that idea works beautifully. You cannot deny that Valve has done A LOT to push the envelope in PC gaming technology in many ways.

And Steam copied someone else who copied someone else....come on, you don't really think Steam invented modding do you?
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Quote:

Being a gamer doesn't equal to someone who plays oregon trail on a PC. (I miss that game ). You forget that most computers are used in offices. That does not represent your average consumer let alone PC gamers.

In a way what you say is true (not to mention the gazillion PCs used as cash tills), but that doesn't mean that if you compare what is comparable (i.e. home mac users versus home pc users), then pc gamers make up for many times the installed mac based.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

Haha.. so funny to listen to someone denegrate one of the all-time best game designers.

jason was (literally) 100% of PiD (ok he didn't do all the art), minotaur, and such a huge influence on the other early bungie games that what you say is comical. He is one of the more creative people i've met.

Ok, I assumed he wasn't 'one of the more creative' Bungie originals since I feel like Halo is such a poor game story-wise. PiD, Marathon and Myth were engrossing. They had depth. Halo doesn't. Isn't that weird? I mean, he's the project leader and it's the worst game they've released. Odd don't you think? And every game that Seropian touched had a rich storyline.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The US console market was $4.8B in 2006. The US PC game market was $970M in 2006.

The market disagrees that PC games are better than console games.

Just because the console market outsells the PC game market doesn't make it better. I mean, just look at Windows!
  • Reply 56 of 111
    Quote:

Ok, I assumed he wasn't 'one of the more creative' Bungie originals since I feel like Halo is such a poor game story-wise. PiD, Marathon and Myth were engrossing. They had depth. Halo doesn't. Isn't that weird? I mean, he's the project leader and it's the worst game they've released. Odd don't you think? And every game that Seropian touched had a rich storyline.

Personally I think the story-line is very deep (though I have had the additional readings of the books to add to it). And Seropian had influenced Halo 1 very much. Actually it's his own game engine the Halo runs on...
  • Reply 57 of 111
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camimac View Post

Just because the console market outsells the PC game market doesn't make it better. I mean, just look at Windows!

Better is in the eye of the beholder. Just be sure to make your save.

The limits of a controller aren't all that severe. Especially with voice chat.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Personally I think the story-line is very deep (though I have had the additional readings of the books to add to it). And Seropian had influenced Halo 1 very much. Actually it's his own game engine the Halo runs on...

Anyway...I'm not saying Jason Jones sucks. He's very talented. So is Alex Seropian. They were a good combo. But it seems they've both changed. I find Halo terrible and I didn't feel compelled to play Stubbs. Seems like ever since they've gone their own ways, the games weren't as funny or interesting or have any engrossing storylines. I know you'll disagree but that's how I feel. Halo feels rushed...almost like there was a larger company breathing down the developer's necks and tapping its foot at them in impatience.

Vivendi did the same to Blizzard with WoW...it happens all the time when you're part of a larger 'family'.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    Quote:

Anyway...I'm not saying Jason Jones sucks. He's very talented. So is Alex Seropian. They were a good combo. But it seems they've both changed. I find Halo terrible and I didn't feel compelled to play Stubbs. Seems like ever since they've gone their own ways, the games weren't as funny or interesting or have any engrossing storylines. I know you'll disagree but that's how I feel. Halo feels rushed...almost like there was a larger company breathing down the developer's necks and tapping its foot at them in impatience.

Vivendi did the same to Blizzard with WoW...it happens all the time when you're part of a larger 'family'.

Surprisingly I don't disagree. Halo 2 was extremely rushed....Halo 3, there was room for improvement with time.

I rented Stubbs, wasn't too impressed. I'd love to see Seropian and Jones get back together again....who knows, maybe it was that mix of minds that made their games so great.

And I can sadly say I have not played through all of the Marathon games, so I can't say about overall storyline, but yes, the storyline on those games did seem better.

However, I still believe that by any standard the Halo games are some of the best games ever made, especially with the advancements in Multiplayer and the revolutionary control scheme for a console FPS (ie. one that worked).
  • Reply 60 of 111
    Quote:

yeah you got it backward. Alex was more of the biz side of early bungie. Jason was a vital (not only) of the creative side. Alex had a big influence on the marathon games b/c he did a ton of the sounds for them.

I don't have much opinion about halo since i haven't played it much. The game dev groups for the marathons were < 10 people tops. More like 5-8. How many people worked on Halo? 300? One pereson's input is going to be less.