Leopard 'Notes' to sync with iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New evidence suggests that a more significant software update for Apple's iPhone handset will arrive following the release of the company's Mac OS X Leopard operating system, adding features such as Note syncing, among others.

In its public previews of Leopard, Apple has demonstrated a new feature dubbed "Notes," which has been commonly showcased as part of Mail 3.0 but is actually a new system-wide feature that can be accessed from just about anywhere in the OS.

As RoughlyDrafted pointed out in one of its earlier Leopard overviews, Notes are really just specially formatted HTML emails that reside in a special IMAP mailbox and are formatted with a distinct font and background style that sets them apart from other emails.

Apple says that "notes can include graphics, colored text, and attachments" and adds that "since your notes folder acts like an email mailbox, you can retrieve notes from any Mac or PC.?

Although Apple makes no mention of Notes on the iPhone and excludes it from the iPhone's online demos, RoughlyDrafted went on to predict that the company would eventually allow Note syncing to the iPhone under Leopard. As a tipster informs AppleInsider, there is now direct evidence to suggest this is indeed the case.

Creating a new Note under the latest builds of Leopard and then attempt to covert that note from its standard HTML format into a rich text format yields a dialog box that reads: "Changing the style or formatting requires that this note be converted to rich text format. Rich text notes may not be editable on iPhone and other devices."

This is sure to increase the usefulness of the iPhone's own "Notes" application tremendously, as the current incarnation only allows users to output Notes as plaintext emails and does not offer any form of text import or syncing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In its public previews of Leopard, Apple has demonstrated a new feature dubbed "Notes," which has been commonly showcased as part of Mail 3.0 but is actually a new system-wide feature that can be accessed from just about anywhere in the OS.

Wow. Kinda neat. But what will the Lotus people say?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Wow. Kinda neat. But what will the Lotus people say?

Why would they care, they make cars.....oh you mean Corel.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Apple: Here's a penny for your bricked iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    And one by one, the things on my iPhone wish list seem to be coming true.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Mail will be iPhone's Finder
  • Reply 6 of 25
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    It's good to see Apple continuing to make the iPhone the best that it can be. It's by far the best phone out there. Mainly because it is supported by the iTunes media universe that just makes everything integrate so elegantly. This is the Apple advantage when it comes to phones and mp3 players. This is the reason that competing phones and media players don't stand a chance against the Apple marketing machine.

I can't wait for Leopard. It's gonna be great!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    It's about time!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    beleybeley Posts: 30member
    We ordered the Leopard family pack the day it hit Amazon.com -- I can't wait. I hope the day it ships there are a SLEW of new features for the iPhone they just wanted to wait to ship (like a Finder, which might work with the new finder in Leopard).
  • Reply 9 of 25
    This feature is more likely to tempt me away from the safe haven of the 1.0.2 firmware than even the wifi iTunes store.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Hopefully the 1.1.1 update isn't needed for this! Long live 3rd party apps on the iphone.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    From the image it looks like TO DO's are handled the same way.... any one know if this is the case - notes and To Do's would be so great....
  • Reply 12 of 25
    d5280d5280 Posts: 1member
    We all new something like this was coming. it was obvious as soon as it was noted that you could now send sms messages through leopard iChat. We will probably see a to do list sync as well as the chat functionality for the iPhone with the leopard update. the notes is just a tip of the ice berg. It has always been my suspicion since day one that apple released the iphone with a premature operating system. It was probably built with full compatibility with leopard from day one.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

And one by one, the things on my iPhone wish list seem to be coming true.

Except what you failed to mention is that at the rate they are going it will be 100 years before they are all in.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Except what you failed to mention is that at the rate they are going it will be 100 years before they are all in.

I use to think that too... until today, for some reason I think we will see in the next update (before Christmas or around 10.5) with:

RSS reader in Mail

Web-clippings in Safari (widgets)

Notes

To Do's

MMS (either as part of mail or ichat)

iChat

(the last two Im unsure of the rest Im betting we will see)

The main reason I changed my mind is this "leak" and an article that I read online that states the last update 1.1.1 is actually the OS the phone was supposed to ship with but was not completed in time. (http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/com...cultofmac_1003)
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Let's hope they do the same for the Touch. I'm still pissed off that after advertising it as being capable of editing calendar entries and acting as a USB drive, it turns out it can do neither. Crippled between ordering and shipping, what's that all about?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    We knew this anyway. It was a given.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Great! Only one more item remaining on my iPhone-wish-list:

a GLOBAL "Find"

I"ve got a ton of info on my Treo 650, from contacts to notes to specifications, and it would be a brick without global "find."

Gimme that on an iPhone, and I'll jump on board the train.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    They show up as a mailbox in Mail on the iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm still of the opinion that Apple simply can't develop enough applications for the iPhone to keep momentum in the market place. Combine that with the heavy restrictions on iPhone apps and the device has a dim future if you ask me.

Maybe Apple will come around there is lots of speculation in that regards, but the current attitude of the company is certainly not good. It is a bit of a shame to throw away such a nicely designed OS and user interface, which is basically what they are doing if they don't supply a SDK.

In essence my interest in the iPhone improved dramatically as the number and quality of the third party apps increased. Then 1.1.1 hit us. That interest could rekindle if the Apple where to release a suite of apps that cover some of my wants and needs but that doesn't look to promising. In the end I feel like I'm being driven to a Linux phone.

Apple certainly has mastered the art of shooting oneself in the foot.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Why would they care, they make cars.....oh you mean Corel.

That would be IBM