Aqua buttons, Aqua radio-buttons, Aqua check boxes, Aqua sliders, Aqua scroll-bars???

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    @ Daffy,

You certainly know your history, but you may need to get your eyes checked. Either that or design is not your forte.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

@ Daffy,

You certainly know your history, but you may need to get your eyes checked. Either that or design is not your forte.

Funny you say that because I am a design engineer by day, of course I don't design software interfaces. I don't have to to have a valid opinion though. Anyway, I don't think it's a stretch to say that the direction is heading towards the more subdued interface in pro apps like Aperture which looks much more like what's been done in the past than the original aqua interface which was IMO completely new. If you remove the gradients and rounds you basically have the NEXT interface. You'd have to do much more to the Aqua interface to make that transition.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Whatever you say, if you think it looks more like the Next UI so be it - it looks better though. I'm not alone in that opinion either.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    (Designer dude here)

I think Daffy has a good point. The interface is darker, the windows have lost their borders, the colors are more muted. I don't think he was saying that Leopard looks "as bad as" NeXT, but many of the design conventions are certainly moving back in that direction.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

Whatever you say, if you think it looks more like the Next UI so be it - it looks better though. I'm not alone in that opinion either.

It definately looks better than the Next UI. My point is the Leopard UI has more in common with the Next UI than Aqua does. Aqua brought textured UI elements to the OS level which is something only possible with relatively modern computers and that is dissapearing. So it bothers me a bit when people describe Aqua as dated when a more correct description is that they are just personally tired of it because they have seen it a lot. People will be similarly bored with the new interface in a few years and Apple will probably come out with something with a bit more flair and then the process will repeat itself.

I was drawn to the Mac partially because of the Aqua UI which was so different than what I was used to. It took me a while before I made the leap so I mostly missed out on Aqua.

From http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...99715&SiteID=1

"Apple introduced "reality", elements that appeared touchable, smooth, Hi tech, and in motion. Glassy elements that looked beautiful to the eye. Progress bars that were 3d, white and blue barberpoles, etc. It was about desireability, touchability and excellence."

What would be said about the Leopard interface? Subdued? Metal? Classy? (Nothing wrong with that) Maybe classic. What else?

BTW, I don't hate the new interface and I'm going to be using it like the rest of you. The more they can make it look like the iPhone interface the better.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

This is a very rough mock-up, but I think something along these lines would be nice...

If Apple is going to change the look of the scroll bars I hope they look like yours instead of what iTunes is using. The new UI is still grey, but no brush marks so the new scroll bars can stay blue, but ditch the "glow".
  • Reply 27 of 41
    30 minutes work.. I'm sure Apple can do this with all the time they have, a replacement to Aqua would be more than welcomed by me.

• Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:

30 minutes work.. I'm sure Apple can do this with all the time they have, a replacement to Aqua would be more than welcomed by me.

Feels like OS 9...
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by telusman View Post

Feels like OS 9...

Say what you will. It looks better than Aqua, and it's metal. Guess what else is becoming metal? All Macs

Aqua was invented for those all those translucent Macs way back when, particularly the bondi-blue iMac. All these UI visuals I have in this mock-up are already found in OS X (right now), I didn't simply make them up. It's time for a more sleek, more professional, more grown-up look, to go along with all those sleek new 'aluminum' Macs. It's time to put Aqua to bed.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    after hours of research i discovered they made a few minor changes seen here:

• Reply 31 of 41
    HAHaHAHA
  • Reply 32 of 41
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

after hours of research i discovered they made a few minor changes seen here:

*IMAGE CENSORED FOR PUBLIC HEALTH*

You make me want to kill myself
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You make me want to kill myself

Please... elaborate
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Leopard looks much better if you turn on graphite. I just ranted about that in my blog, and did some screen comparisons. Too bad you lose the traffic lights. Sigh. Hopefully Aqua will be gone soon.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halo1982 View Post

Leopard looks much better if you turn on graphite. I just ranted about that in my blog, and did some screen comparisons. Too bad you lose the traffic lights. Sigh. Hopefully Aqua will be gone soon.

Pity graphite is still Aqua though. Personally I like the blue more than graphite, always have. Totally agree with your traffic lights bug. It's really the jellybeans that I dislike the most.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    The aqua scrollbars in the leopard interface seems not only totally out of place, but they are somewhat different than the Tiger ones and seems much less refined (the sides looks just awful especially the shadows), making me think that they are going to change them before final.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Jeez Apple, just re-introduce themes already. One Aqua for the tiger-enthusiasts, one OS 9 for the retro peeps, and one metal (not brushed mind you) for the rest of us.

Why does it have to be so hard?
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post

Jeez Apple, just re-introduce themes already. One Aqua for the tiger-enthusiasts, one OS 9 for the retro peeps, and one metal (not brushed mind you) for the rest of us.

Good point.

*remove head from arse Apple*
  • Reply 39 of 41
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post

Look, Apple is the good mama not leaving her children to suffer in the candy shop seeing around them so many choices.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Look, Apple is the good mama not leaving her children to suffer in the candy shop seeing around them so many choices.

Too many choices is a bad thing in for UI design. Typically it means the designer (if there was one besides the coder) punted and left it up to the user whom is even less likely to make good UI choices.

The aqua look doesn't bother me much but since Apple seems to be moving away from it for iLife so they should become as consistent as they can given the time that they have. It should be a pretty easy change, one would hope, within the OS itself.

Daffy_Duck is right that moving toward a more minimalist look does remind one of the past but today's gradients and corners does soften (and updates) that look considerably.