I may be gone some time!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Have I decided to go for a long walk?

Have I decided to move along from AI?

Do I feel embarassment at my musings on Sun-spots, religion and mythology?

Have I decided to do you all a favour and stop posting my mentally insane ramblings?

Do I regret having a pop at SDW?

Have I discovered enlightenment and am having spiritual rebirth?

Helll NO!!!!

Something much better has come up

Ive got a place at Berkeley Uni

BTW, you've got to love the section "Physics for future presidents"

BYE!

(I might check back to see who replied "Dont let the door hit you on the way out!" )

PS. Creationists: Watch, Observe, get a fucking clue.

And SDW. Fuck off preferably from the planet.

Segovius - Love you man!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    <SNIP>

EDIT: Wait a second. You edited your post. My joke doesn't work any more!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The SF bay area is a fun place to be. Have you ever been out here before?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    From your new school's website.

Lower left corner of your Berkeley link, can't miss him. Shall I let him know that you're inbound?

Aries 1B
  • Reply 4 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sounds like you'll be right at home... in Berkeley.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    What will you be doing at Berkeley?

Are you getting your master's, PhD?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

That link doesn't work for me. "404 Error - File Not Found"

Segue:

Ebby, WTF is up with the website in your signature? They 90's called, they want your website back.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh, low hit! I don't really maintain that site any more. I have two other sites that died a non-spactacular death when I moved to college. (They block EVERYTHING so my sites died.)

But, per your request, I will start to design a new one. It is long overdue. Even I admit that.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Student or teacher? Oh well, good luck. Did everyone know that Berkeley University put up full courses on YouTube? Maybe we will see MarcUK (or the back of his head) in one.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Custodial staff had an opening?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Student or teacher? Oh well, good luck. Did everyone know that Berkeley University put up full courses on YouTube? Maybe we will see MarcUK (or the back of his head) in one.

I would really like to play along with this thing I started, because I expected everyone to realise I was talking metaphorically. This is quite funny- Im not physically going to Berkeley!!! im just there in spirit!

This thread was just about the news that Berkeley had put hundreds of hours of lectures up on YouTube, and that I was going to watch every one of them...so I might not be around for a while.

No doubt, some of you are hoping they put more and more up. So do I. This is the most awesome thing I've ever found on the Interwebs, and its free!!! Free! I cant fucking believe it!

I watched about 5 lectures back to back last night from the Physics section, I was loving it, it is awesome to hear someone actually talk about the things I've only ever read in books. It bought clarity to a few things, but (hardeharhar) take note...I was practically talking through the lectures to myself, before the guy explained it. I GOD DAMN WISH I COULD DO THIS FOR REAL..Eventually I had to force myself to turn of the computer and go to bed.

Well, 5 more tonight....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

It's an understandable confusion - they let anyone into Berkeley these days.

I hear they even roam the streets and press-gang people....

Thats not very refined is it

However you may have a point. I have now watched through the first 10 physics lectures and a couple of others further on, and while it is pretty awesome to hear Muller go through all this stuff - just because i love it all...I have a distinct impression that most of the stuff on offer here, I was taught in school at the ages of 14-16, some of the other stuff I had been taught at A-level, and some stuff I've just picked up from the net. How old are the kids in these videos? If they'd been UK taught, im sure they would know 50% of this stuff before they were 16, and 80% by age 18.

In total, from 15 hours of lectures - I'm not joking - that all I've really learned is what a calutron does, and a few nuggets of math im not really interested in. Im more of an ideas and concepts person myself.

Well, im going to finish the course! but I hope Berkeley follow this up by putting up some more courses that really go into detail.