New Zunes likely to cannibalize everything but iPod - analyst

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

Do you really? Go get one of those pea green Zunes. You'll be much happier since they won't have all those "dirver" issues that the iPods have.

Does a Zune require drivers? Im fairly certain both run software/drivers. Another thing I have never understood why is their a segment of Apple fans that are so hung up on colors or looks?

Just once I would love for someone to comment on the specs of a new apple product before they comment on how imporant the color is on it.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Do you really? Go get one of those pea green Zunes. You'll be much happier since they won't have all those "dirver" issues that the iPods have.

Really.

Man, there's a lot of people wasting their time on these boards these days, patiently explaining to all us delusional Apple users just how mediocre and unexceptional our platform of choice is, and why there's really no reason at all to choose an Apple product over any other, and that thinking otherwise is obviously the product of a delusion.

There should be a medical name for the mental state that drives people to spend all their time hanging out with people that they fundamentally disagree with, just so that they can chide them over and over and over again.

It's like they can't stand the idea that somewhere, those stupid Apple heads are getting away with their mindless boostersim, and by God someone needs to call them out. A lot.

It just seems like such a dreary way to live.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Just once I would love for someone to comment on the specs of a new apple product before they comment on how imporant the color is on it.

Well, if carrying around something that looks like vomit or baby crap in a shiny glass bottle floats your boat...
  • Reply 44 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Really.

Man, there's a lot of people wasting their time on these boards these days, patiently explaining to all us delusional Apple users just how mediocre and unexceptional our platform of choice is, and why there's really no reason at all to choose an Apple product over any other, and that thinking otherwise is obviously the product of a delusion.

There should be a medical name for the mental state that drives people to spend all their time hanging out with people that they fundamentally disagree with, just so that they can chide them over and over and over again.

It's like they can't stand the idea that somewhere, those stupid Apple heads are getting away with their mindless boostersim, and by God someone needs to call them out. A lot.

It just seems like such a dreary way to live.

It's an internet forum, get a grip. No one is disagree, fighting or anything. At best it's a debate. Do you feel some need to live in a world where everyone agrees all the time about everything?

Now that would be a mental illness.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    Quote:

Well, if carrying around something that looks like vomit or baby crap in a shiny glass bottle floats your boat...

Didn't they use to make something like that and people would buy it? See maybe MS is on to something.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

That is what SONY said with the XBOX. Last time I check the XBOX 360 crushed the PS3.

Microsoft can compete with Apple still. If you don't believe that you are foolish.

Zune 2 is not going to crush iPods, but it may take a small dent out of the iPod eco-systems.

Dave

HAY do you people think when MS start thinking that Apple and the rest of the world stop thinking.

stupids
  • Reply 47 of 65
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Can you actually find a Xbox 360 core system? By the time you get done buying everything you need to actually use a core system its going to cost you 400.00 anyways.

Need... or want? \

Anyways, the Wii and the 360 are both next-gen consoles, and yep, they do indeed compete against one another.

Quote:

Easy of use? You know really I use both platforms and lets be honest there isn't any great easy of use with Os X compared to Windows. If you use the OS you get use to how it work its not rocket science.

Actually, I was talking more about iPod/iTunes, though you can lump Windows in there too.

Far as Windows goes, I think MS has done a halfway decent job of copying Apple, though I definitely prefer OS X.

The rest of your post seems to be some kind of chip-on-your-shoulder rant about how Apple isn't 'all that'. If you honestly believe that, why then do you hang out on an Apple forum so much? \

• Reply 48 of 65
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

It's an internet forum, get a grip. No one is disagree, fighting or anything. At best it's a debate. Do you feel some need to live in a world where everyone agrees all the time about everything?

Now that would be a mental illness.

It's hard to be sure because I'm really tired right now, but I'm pretty sure you missed addabox's point.

I suggest, extremeskater, you review a little friend called sarcasm.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Need... or want? \

Anyways, the Wii and the 360 are both next-gen consoles, and yep, they do indeed compete against one another.

Actually, I was talking more about iPod/iTunes, though you can lump Windows in there too.

Far as Windows goes, I think MS has done a halfway decent job of copying Apple, though I definitely prefer OS X.

The rest of your post seems to be some kind of chip-on-your-shoulder rant about how Apple isn't 'all that'. If you honestly believe that, why then do you hang out on an Apple forum so much? \

Being all that and being realistic are two different things. Apple makes good products and I own many of them but I don't buy into it just works and never breaks crap, or the ease of use like its so much easier than Windows. I would guess that people that still buy into that are still using AOL because they dont' know how to use the internet.

Easy doesn't mean better in fact it often means less powerful with less functionality.

People always claiming that MS copies Apple are the ones with the chips on their shoulders.

Simple fact is Apple isnt all that they claim to be, I also didn't realize to be a member of the forum you had to drink the kool aid.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It's hard to be sure because I'm really tired right now, but I'm pretty sure you missed addabox's point.

I suggest, extremeskater, you review a little friend called sarcasm.

No im fairly certain I got his point.
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Quote:

Need... or want? \

Here we go another perfect example of "it just works"

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/04/imac/index.php

This is clearly a video driver issue. So when it doesn't just work you have to wait for Apple to get around to fixing the problem when they actually admit to it, instead of just being able to go to ATI website and find drivers that work correctly without bugs.

So there is a price to pay for ease of use when you are relying on someone else to do all the work and allowing them to have all the control. When Apple products work they work great when they don't your shit out of luck until they get around to fixing it for you.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

wow, Zune to cannibalize everything but Ipods? Are you kidding me.. ZUNE can definitely eat iPod also. I don't see why you stick up for Apple so much. It will eat iPods, and you definitely have no proof that it can't. Learn to discriminate apple please

Cute troll. Do you want to moon us as well?

• Reply 53 of 65
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

People always claiming that MS copies Apple are the ones with the chips on their shoulders.

LOL. Extreme, even Microsoft employees are aware of the fact that they often copy Apple.

Their nickname for Apple? 'R&D South'.

Quote:

Simple fact is Apple isnt all that they claim to be, I also didn't realize to be a member of the forum you had to drink the kool aid.

There are some overzealous Apple folks here (and they annoy me), but what of it? There's still some Redmondade drinkers too, though maybe not quite as many as there used to be.

In any case, let's face it, it's not being overzealous to say that Apple has been on a huge roll the past few years, and it's not all smoke and mirrors. Expect more of the same going forward.

• Reply 54 of 65
    My god

when i look at this ZUNE thingy it tell me that to be successful M$ will always have to copy

apple work

that makes me so sick of the MS team
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:

LOL. Extreme, even Microsoft employees are aware of the fact that they often copy Apple.

Their nickname for Apple? 'R&D South'.

There are some overzealous Apple folks here (and they annoy me), but what of it? There's still some Redmondade drinkers too, though maybe not quite as many as there used to be.

In any case, let's face it, it's not being overzealous to say that Apple has been on a huge roll the past few years, and it's not all smoke and mirrors. Expect more of the same going forward.

Well that may be true im sure back years ago it was more so, are you saying Apple would like to take credit for Vista>>LOL. I would hope not. On the flip side I don't expect Leopard to be any great jump foward. I think alot of people are expecting too much so it's doomed to be a disappointment for many because their expectations are too high.

I will agree Apple is doing well compared to previous years some of that has to do with the Intel hype but I feel some of it has to do with them expanding into new product lines like the iPhone and I really do like the iPod touch. Funny thing is I love the new iMac 24" I own two of them but alot of people dislike them because of the glossy screen.

Being in IT for so many years the thing that still gets under my skin is the hands off approach by Apple. It's just in my nature to like options which I think we can both agree Apple tends to limit compared ot the PC/Windows world. For me it takes longer to resolve any issue when the company has total control over the OS, drivers and hardware. Most PC/Windows issues I can fix fairly fast, in the Apple world I have to wait for someone else, that bugs me.

To some extent you must feel the same way being on the mini tower bandwagon, I would assume some of that has to do with the fact that you would like to upgrade and have some control over your own system. I could be wrong but that would be a logical conclusion.

I don't always like to compute within the vision of Steve Jobs.

The last thing I would love to see in my lifetime is for OS (Whatever) to be available for all systems and truly go head to head with Windows on an open market. I believe that will happen when Steve Jobs finally steps down. I've never seen the downside to making the OS available to everyone, people that enjoy Apple hardware are going to buy it anyways and making the OS available to everyone no matter what hardware you chose I only see as a good thing because it will promote third party support.

I can only assume that Jobs feels it will cut into Apple hardware sales.

Well I guess im fully off topic now.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Hardware specs makes me want one, but when we get to software design and specifications (no lossless) I realise that it isn't all that.

/Adrian

Apparently, native support for lossless audio (as opposed to transcoding on the fly to a high bit rate lossy format during synching, as the release 1 firmware did) is one of the features that has been added in the new Zune firmware release.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zune/more...own-306648.php

Not that it would have made any difference for me personally.

But all this is meaningless for those of us north of the 49th parallel because now it's one year in and there still isn't the option of even considering purchasing a Zune anywhere outside the USA.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The new zunes really do seem to be the most interesting of non apple players out there, except for the archos units, most of those I conder to be in a different space though. Zune isn't going anywhere as long as MS has money to toss around, and with each generation they'll get closer to being the same quailty as ipods. That's why apple has to get to consumers first, only extremely pissed off people switch to something else, most will just stick around and upgrade.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:

Funny, you just described every Apple user I know who hangs out in computer forums telling Windows users how stupid they are. So, you create your own forum where you all can agree with each other in a myopic little universe while MS users sharpen their fangs / jobs by justifying their position against Open Platform supporters.

Why can't I install OSX on my Dual Core Opteron at home? Microsoft doesn't care if I install Windows on it. Obviously I can install a thousand different Linux distros on it, but Apple forces me to buy a new computer just to run their OS.

I've been in over 50 enterprise server farms over the past ten years. Banks, ISPs, Chemical manufacturing, Health Care, etc., etc. You know, I don't recall ever seeing an Apple product inside the 'Halon perimeter' of those companies. There's Novell boxes, and Unix boxes, and IBM Mainframes, maybe a smidge of Sun, and usually towering aisles of Windows blades, but I don't see the Apple logo anywhere. Why is that? Are the Apple servers cloaked or something? I mean...OSX is WAY more stable and secure than stupid Windows, so why aren't engineers and CIOs trying to shave every dime from IT budgets running to install Apple servers??????

But, don't feel bad. Many of those companies have a handful of Macs in the graphics arts dept, and we all know that running a multi-media workflows and Illustrator is *WAY* more technically challenging than hosting Enterprise apps across 5 international borders.

I have two cousins that go to a large metro Highschool, and right now the Zune is the *big* thing on campus, and has been for a year or so. Maybe you should tell them how much it sucks because the design isn't as cool as Apple.

I bought my first MP3 player in 98'. Dap64 I believe it was called. Still works, but it's in a drawer somewhere. Didn't have the memory of an iPod obviously, but it was smaller, cheaper, more reliable, and certainly WAY ahead of Apple in the portable media player game. The iPod I bought a couple years ago died.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blasterman View Post

Funny, you just described every Apple user I know who hangs out in computer forums telling Windows users how stupid they are. So, you create your own forum where you all can agree with each other in a myopic little universe while MS users sharpen their fangs / jobs by justifying their position against Open Platform supporters.

Why can't I install OSX on my Dual Core Opteron at home? Microsoft doesn't care if I install Windows on it. Obviously I can install a thousand different Linux distros on it, but Apple forces me to buy a new computer just to run their OS.

I've been in over 50 enterprise server farms over the past ten years. Banks, ISPs, Chemical manufacturing, Health Care, etc., etc. You know, I don't recall ever seeing an Apple product inside the 'Halon perimeter' of those companies. There's Novell boxes, and Unix boxes, and IBM Mainframes, maybe a smidge of Sun, and usually towering aisles of Windows blades, but I don't see the Apple logo anywhere. Why is that? Are the Apple servers cloaked or something? I mean...OSX is WAY more stable and secure than stupid Windows, so why aren't engineers and CIOs trying to shave every dime from IT budgets running to install Apple servers??????

But, don't feel bad. Many of those companies have a handful of Macs in the graphics arts dept, and we all know that running a multi-media workflows and Illustrator is *WAY* more technically challenging than hosting Enterprise apps across 5 international borders.

I have two cousins that go to a large metro Highschool, and right now the Zune is the *big* thing on campus, and has been for a year or so. Maybe you should tell them how much it sucks because the design isn't as cool as Apple.

I bought my first MP3 player in 98'. Dap64 I believe it was called. Still works, but it's in a drawer somewhere. Didn't have the memory of an iPod obviously, but it was smaller, cheaper, more reliable, and certainly WAY ahead of Apple in the portable media player game. The iPod I bought a couple years ago died.

Cool. Now I know that the Mac's market share is really heating up, when Important Windows Server Farm Jocks take time out their busy schedules to troll some benighted corner of the web where the Mac people have slunk off to "create their own forum" (really, where do they get off?) and kid each other about the utility of that platform. Troll like a twelve year old boy.

You go, girl.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Is there something about the Zune that gets the PC boys all riled up? Seems like a lot of trolling, as of late.