Apple certified 3rd party applications for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
http://9to5mac.com/apple-adopts-side...odel-234545623

I think this is a good compromise to the lack of 3rd party apps on the iPhone. First, you ensure the quality of the application submitted. Secondly, you simplify distribution of the app by making it available exclusively from iTunes, like iPod games currently are distributed. And lastly, you control the development environment and interface by using Xcode and interface builder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

http://9to5mac.com/apple-adopts-side...odel-234545623

I think this is a good compromise to the lack of 3rd party apps on the iPhone. First, you ensure the quality of the application submitted. Secondly, you simplify distribution of the app by making it available exclusively from iTunes, like iPod games currently are distributed. And lastly, you control the development environment and interface by using Xcode and interface builder.

That works for me. Just give me my 3rd party apps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

That works for me. Just give me my 3rd party apps.

Officially-approved third-party apps still won't include something like iToner, because Apple won't approve anything that let's you escape the their attempt at cornering ringtone sales. I have to wonder if AT&T has contracted themselves a cut of the ringtone sales because (perhaps naively) I don't like to think of Apple as being quite that petty chasing after a few extra cents of profit.

The idea of Steve Jobs just being a control freak, even sometimes when there's no really good business reason for it -- that's a bit easier to buy.

A published, standard API would be a good thing. That only a select group of elite developers gets to see this API, and that their work requires official approval before it can appear on the iPhone -- perhaps meaning that Apple always controls the sales, and always gets a sizeable cut of the profit -- that may be better than nothing, and better than risky hacks based on a unpublished, shifting, guessed-at API, but it still stinks compared to a real open platform.

I certainly don't buy Apple's excuse that it's all about protecting the phone network.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thats cool. I want to see some games on there. Would also love to see other types of videos utilizing QuickTime. Just imagine going to espn.com and watching highlights of the game you missed
  • Reply 4 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This whole iTunes model was bound to come along, given Apple's need for control and tight lips lately. Not being a fanboy here, but I like that model. It's a quality controlled, solid one.