Apple Buys Up All the New Xeons???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to an Inquirer article, Apple is rumored to have bought up all of the first Penryn top of the line Xeons that Intel can make for the remainder of 2007.
So, the rumour says that Apple pretty much pre-booked all the amounts of top Penryn bins that could be booked for this year - especially the X548". This excludes the minimum quantities for other big vendors so that they will be able to claim at least starting to ship their stuff. Those other vendors will, in reality, mostly have to count on the "standard" Penryn speed bins, a notch or two below the top ones.
If true, it could be that we will see new Mac Pros sooner rather than later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Makes sense. The current rumour that Apple's releasing a new Mac mini with Leopard is crazy.

Apple would want to push the computer with the fattest profit margins first. That's the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Naturally, the Inquirer is incapable of reporting this rumor without gratuitous snark about Apple's "unimaginably faithful flock" being willing to pay giant markups for the privilege of getting these chips early, or suggesting that, I guess, real people will be able to get comparable performance soon enough anyway, so that they don't have to bother with Apple's "iDiotised" work stations.

Did Jobs kick these guys' dog? They really seem unable to mention anything about Apple without a least a little sneering.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Naturally, the Inquirer is incapable of reporting this rumor without gratuitous snark about Apple's "unimaginably faithful flock" being willing to pay giant markups for the privilege of getting these chips early, or suggesting that, I guess, real people will be able to get comparable performance soon enough anyway, so that they don't have to bother with Apple's "iDiotised" work stations.

Did Jobs kick these guys' dog? They really seem unable to mention anything about Apple without a least a little sneering.

Actually, I think SJ, or maybe it was FSJ, knocked up the Inquirer's sister and then left without giving her a $100 in store credit coupon.

You know how that pisses-off some people.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Actually, I think SJ, or maybe it was FSJ, knocked up the Inquirer's sister and then left without giving her a $100 in store credit coupon.

You know how that pisses-off some people.

Damn you, FSJ, and your campaign of terror.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I just don't see how Apple is ripping anyone off with the Mac Pro - isn't it cheaper than Dell?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Mac Pro isn't a rip off it's just become a dissapointment. Graphics mostly.

After reading the article I had to grab this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the inquirer

So, if you want your own - not Apple's iDiotised - dual socket desktop supercomputer, just grab a few of these.

WTF kind of news reporting is that?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Makes sense. The current rumour that Apple's releasing a new Mac mini with Leopard is crazy.

Apple would want to push the computer with the fattest profit margins first. That's the Mac Pro.

I don't see how that would matter. The Mac Pro isn't their biggest seller, and they could make more money selling thousands more of bigger selling machines with less of a margin. Basically I think your $$$ on the mind analogy of Apple is flawed.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I don't see how that would matter. The Mac Pro isn't their biggest seller, and they could make more money selling thousands more of bigger selling machines with less of a margin. Basically I think your $$$ on the mind analogy of Apple is flawed.

Ultimately, nothing is going to show off Leopard like a new Mac Pro, especially if they release some new Cinema Displays at the same time to debut resolution independence (if it's still in there).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Damn you, FSJ, and your campaign of terror.

I think we need to throw some Blackwater on him.

I'm melting , melting...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Ultimately, nothing is going to show off Leopard like a new Mac Pro, especially if they release some new Cinema Displays at the same time to debut resolution independence (if it's still in there).

I agree. But I don't know if Apple has the new Mac Pro ready in time for leopard yet. If not they'll probably just use the current iMac. Which would be disappointing to me.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I agree. But I don't know if Apple has the new Mac Pro ready in time for leopard yet. If not they'll probably just use the current iMac. Which would be disappointing to me.

Actually, I think it quite likely. But then, I am not expecting immediate availability. More likely both will ship within weeks of their unveiling.

I expect Leopard is going to take longer than October's four-and-a-half weeks to make its way out of Cupertino. And while Apple may get the new Penryns before anyone else, I don't think they will have them in enough quantities until the second week of November.

So I expect a late October party, but the presents won't arrive until November.

But I'm guessing like everyone else, so who knows.