Couple questions about the iTouch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok so before I even think about dishing out the money for an iTouch I want to know a few things.

Knowing how Apple is, I am kind of hesitant to get one because I'm pretty sure that you can't sneak in songs and movies without having to buy stuff from their store.

Can you put music that you DL yourself from, let's say, Limewire?

Is there a way to throw videos on there that you get from bittorrent?

I mean i've even done it with my Blackberry Pearl so as long as Apple allows it I'll figure it out.

When it says "WiFi", does that mean it connects to the same networks as a laptop would (for instance my college's network)?

Also, is it's speed and comparable to a laptop's while on WiFi?

edit: One more Q: I read somewhere that "3rd party apps that would make the device more desirable are forbidden and blocked by Apple"...is this true?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xJustin View Post

Ok so before I even think about dishing out the money for an iTouch I want to know a few things.

Knowing how Apple is, I am kind of hesitant to get one because I'm pretty sure that you can't sneak in songs and movies without having to buy stuff from their store.

I mean i've even done it with my Blackberry Pearl so as long as Apple allows it I'll figure it out.

When it says "WiFi", does that mean it connects to the same networks as a laptop would (for instance my college's network)?

Also, is it's speed and comparable to a laptop's while on WiFi?

edit: One more Q: I read somewhere that "3rd party apps that would make the device more desirable are forbidden and blocked by Apple"...is this true?

1- obviously you can put songs from limewire. they wouldn't sell like they are if you couldn't. most of the mp3player world downloads their music illegally.

2- Wi-fi is the same as your laptops. you can connect to a wireless router and surf the net. and it's pretty fast. i'd say just a tiny bit slower than your laptop. this depends on the wi fi signal though. my colleges wi fi isn't that fast because there's like 7500 students so there's a lot of people using it at the same time.

3- you can put 3rd party aps. but you will get the updated firmwire like i did the other day. 1.1.1 which has not been "hacked" yet. once it is hacked you'll be able to put games and what not on the thing.

in conclussion, buy one. i took mine out of the case and i never wanted to put it down. it's really a neat little device.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    The one thing about WiFi is that you can't use 802.1X authentication, so if you have to log in to your college network using 802.1X, you're SOL. Still really cool though.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

The one thing about WiFi is that you can't use 802.1X authentication, so if you have to log in to your college network using 802.1X, you're SOL. Still really cool though.

very. my college has this thing that you log into and a page should pop up and you have to sign into the network. it worked right away on my psp and when i tried my macbook pro it didn't work and i was like D: . but i decided to try refreshing like mad and luckily it popped up. i had to do the same with my ipod touch. now the computer connects automatically to the school even without my password and stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Yeah...the touch is cool.

I'm gonna get me the 8 gig. I travel around the world alot, so the iphone isn't an option right now.

I only wish the ipod touch had a camera in it. Oh...and flash. But I heard flash will be added as a download eventually.

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 5
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xJustin View Post

Yes, you can do both of these - you could do these with an older iPod, even. You can pretty much put music on it from any source. With videos, your best bet is to find a video converter that converts it to iPod format (the iPod requires it to be in a certain format). The Mac has a Program called iSquint for this. If your using windows, I'm sure there is a program there. Basically whatever you put into iTunes, will be synced with your iPod. It couldn't be easier.

Heck, you could even record TV shows or movies onto your PC/Mac and then convert them to iPod format and put them in iTunes (for personal use only of course).