New Apple Cinema Displays.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

They need to provide some more inputs such as component, VGA, and HDMI.

I'm not so sure these are necessary although some people would surely appreciate them. I've suggested in the past that more inputs would be nice but I don't expect them.

Component and VGA are analog connections which requires a conversion of some sort on a digital display.

HDMI is basically DVI with audio. Since there are no speakers on the Cinema Displays, what's the benefit?

I suspect most if not all of Apple's next display line will require dual-link DVI or something comparable. Component, VGA and HDMI aren't adequate for such high resolution displays.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I agree. I think Apple is awaiting the release of Leopard with its resolution independence before releasing any new ACD's.

Where is it written that Leopard will include Resolution-Independence? Apple has not announced this feature. Isn't this still in the category of speculation?
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Between now and mid-January of 2008!

that soon? how do yo know that?
  • Reply 24 of 56
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
  • Reply 25 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Um...Where's Apple?

Sounds like a nice computer monitor with lots of connection options. If it's 2560x1600, it's just the same as the other 30" options from HP, Dell, Samsung and Apple.

Interesting that it doesn't require dual-link DVI. I doubt you can get the full resolution without. The article doesn't seem to make that clear.

Not too many people will want to use a 30" monitor for their home theater but it should make a nice gaming and computing display.

edit: Upon a more thorough reading, I see that thing is packed with features, isn't it? I'd like to see it demonstrated. Thanks for the link. It seems like a great all in one solution when you have a fairly small room and want to use it for TV, computer, whatever.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximose View Post

that soon? how do yo know that?

I was in an Apple Store a few days ago and I noticed that the Mac Pro's and the Apple Cinema Displays seemed out of place with the other offerings by Apple. So I got the feeling, which some people call intuition, and I thought to myself "Won't be long before Apple updates these 2 to match their newer products". And there you have it. My answer, that is.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    ADD for ACD!
  • Reply 28 of 56
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I was in an Apple Store a few days ago and I noticed that the Mac Pro's and the Apple Cinema Displays seemed out of place with the other offerings by Apple. So I got the feeling, which some people call intuition, and I thought to myself "Won't be long before Apple updates these 2 to match their newer products". And there you have it. My answer, that is.

yeah.. people were feeling that way 6 months ago.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Guys, resolution independence has been nixed from Leopard. It may show up in a point release, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Think Quartz 2D Extreme.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halo1982 View Post

Guys, resolution independence has been nixed from Leopard. It may show up in a point release, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Think Quartz 2D Extreme.

In that case, I'll probably wait for the point release. The only other feature in Leopard that looks interesting is Time Machine.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    All of this discussion is around resolution and response time. Not to diminish these as important aspects of the display, but as a photographer, I am very concerned about color accuracy.

Although some people just use their screens for text based work, it seems that the LCD world is splitting off in two directions; one is the ultra fast response times, saturated colors and high contrast desired by people who use their computers for watching videos, gaming, and other (perfectly acceptable) "consumer" activities, and the other is the accurate color desired by photographers, designers, filmmakers, and others who depend on their monitor to give them an accurate representation of color so that their final target, be it print, video, or even the web, looks as good as it can.

The underlying difference is the type of display technology used for the panel: TN, MVA, PVA or IPS

-for an overview of the different panel types see this link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

-for a good article about all the aspects of modern displays, see this link: http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=641&page=1

I've been using a 23" Cinema Display for 3 years now, and paid the original $1799 price for it. I've lived with the pinkish cast, banding on the sides and "shadows" from recently closed windows all this time. As my AppleCare is about to run out, I finally took it in for repair last night and hope they will replace the panel with a newer one.

I'm typing on a new 24" LG Flatron which cost $499 (from BestBuy, thanks to their 14day return policy!) . The response time, brightness and contrast are much "better" than the Cinema Display, but even after calibration, the colors are not as accurate as the 3 year old Apple Monitor.

I would like a newer, larger display, but depending on which of the two directions Apple goes in, will probably wind up buying an Eizo LCD for color critical work and keep the 23" CD for my tools, palettes, browsers, etc.

What are the chances of Apple coming out with a Pro display, with accurate color and a hood (essential for color critical work)? The design world has always been an important market for Apple. I would pay the premium to have a beautiiful Apple display on my desk. (This LG is not "bad", but it ain't stylish like the 23" CD)

But my guess is that they will go for the lower common denominator and leave the higher end for Eizo and others.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling

If Apple were to ship a new line of Cinema Displays with 125dpi, they might be:

30.4" WQSXGA 3200x2048

24" WQXGA 2560x1600

18" WUXGA 1920x1200 (Apple already offers this resolution at 133dpi on the 17" MBP)

3200x2048 exceeds the dual link DVI specification (which tops out at the resolution of the current 30" screen), and there isn't a higher resolution connection standard ready yet.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    tripotripo Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rminkler View Post

3200x2048 exceeds the dual link DVI specification (which tops out at the resolution of the current 30" screen), and there isn't a higher resolution connection standard ready yet.

If not the first Q 2008 .. than it must be the next revision..

I guess it's a bit too early for it now .. but in a year they'll be a must ..
  • Reply 34 of 56
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rminkler View Post

I expect the next ACDs to have HDMI connectors. If not, a 3200x2048 monitor could be driven by two video cards.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    @mlondon: I think you'll see an improvement in color gamut and accuracy with new panels from Apple--eventually. Samsung is doing this with their new line of LED-backlit displays. It stands to reason that Apple will follow suit, since Jobs talked about getting rid of CCFL backlighting "when technically and economically feasible."

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/

Samsung XL20

...and the XL30 was supposed to ship in August.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Why should they even put out new CDs?

They're already attractive enough, and match their line-up quite nicely. But if the MP is getting an update, then it's logical that the CD would go along for the ride. They're in it together. Not in the iMac sense though... =P

Besides larger resolutions and possibly, screen dimensions, what is there to look forward to?
  • Reply 37 of 56
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I look forward to new designs, slimmer and built-in iSight. But what I really would like to see is a larger than 30" ACD.

Hasn't the built in iSight for the Cinema Display discussion been beaten to death already?

Cinema displays are for the most part, used and owned by Pro users.. And most pros use multiple displays, be it two 20 inchers or two 30 inchers.. For that reason alone, it does not make sense to build in an iSight cam to the Cinema display line. Why have two displays with built in cams sitting on your desk? Not to mention that the 30 inch is very tall and not ideal for a built in cam.

Just because it makes sense for the laptops and iMac does not mean it makes sense for the pro display line.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

The new ACDs will probably have LED backlights.

I think they're holding back because of price/availability/technical hurdles (on large LCD's).
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

(LED backlighting)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theGAR View Post

I think they're holding back because of price/availability/technical hurdles (on large LCD's).

Samsung 52" 1080p LCD HDTV with LED backlight ~$5K, 1155 in^2, $4.33/in^2

Samsung 57" 1080p LCD HDTV with LED backlight ~$8K, 1387 in^2, $5.77/in^2

If Samsung can do it, Apple can. $8K is pricey but that's for a 57" flat panel!

A 30" LCD is about 384 in^2. At $4.33/in^2, that's $1663. Add the fact that it's higher resolution than the Samsungs. Subtract the fact that LCD manufacturing costs should go down as a function of diagonal. Add an Apple premium. $1999? $2499?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Component and VGA are analog connections which requires a conversion of some sort on a digital display.

Component is analog? My 360 does 1080p through component after the Spring Update. I would love to plug my 360 into an ACD, though.