looking for the name of a Sci Fi short story

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I read this story years ago and can't forget it but can't recall the author or title.

Scientists invented a machine that produced a sound that made the listeners feel perfectly peaceful and at ease. The problem was that listeners would stop all activities and just listen. They wouldn't work, eat, sleep, etc. I recall a scene where people had been listening like this till the power failed and they came to and realized they had been sitting there for a long time and all sorts of terrible things had been going on while they were out of it. Kind of reminded me of TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sounds like it could be an Asimov story ...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

There was an Episode of Stargate SG1 that was based on this premise called "The Light".

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s4/418.shtml

And let me guess how it ended. . . . O'Neill tries to blow it up, but it convinced not to at the last minute (i.e. "bad idea"), and Carter and Daniel whip up some plasmo-tron device using deciphered alien technology, and the day is saved!

I haven't seen that episode, but that's my general take on SG1. To be fair, I kind of liked it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Haha... pretty good analysis. And it wasn't a bad program.

I'm about to embark on watching all 9 seasons front to back... or whenever I give up. I think I've seen the first 6 seasons already... but I'm going to start over.

Do you own the box-set, or is Netflix in HK too? At the moment, thanks to netflix I am rewatching Babylon 5, which is a favorite of mine. I've always been a fan of the Shadows, even though it's clear some of the plot was contrived to make them seem more "evil" than they logically would have been. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it highly -- just bear through the first season.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

I'm about to embark on watching all 9 seasons front to back...

Actually, there's 10 seasons and 2 upcoming direct-to-dvd movies along with 4 seasons of the Atlantis spin-off.