Boot Camp Error

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, so the victim is a C2D 2.0Ghz, 1GB, 80GB MacBook w/ 10.4.10. The problem came up when trying to split / partition the drive. It said some data couldn't be moved, so partitioning failed. The 80GB drive had 15GB free and I tried to make the new partition as small as 5GB, but still got the same error.

I think it may have to do with the HD being too fragmented, as in not having sufficient consecutive space to split it without relocating some "unmovable" files. But then I thought... isn't OS X supposed to handle disk defragging automatically. Apparently it's not doing a good job at all. Does Tiger include a defragging tool? or any freeware defragging apps?

Comments, ideas, suggestions...

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

I think it may have to do with the HD being too fragmented, as in not having sufficient consecutive space to split it without relocating some "unmovable" files. But then I thought... isn't OS X supposed to handle disk defragging automatically. Apparently it's not doing a good job at all. Does Tiger include a defragging tool? or any freeware defragging apps?

It is fragmentation but I don't recommend defrag software. The easiest way to do it is with an external hard drive. Use Superduper to clone your internal drive, format the internal (no need to zero the drive, just a plain format) and then clone it back. I've done this with the two computers I've installed Bootcamp on, which both gave that error.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KennyWRX View Post

But then I thought... isn't OS X supposed to handle disk defragging automatically. Apparently it's not doing a good job at all.

Mac OS X automatically deals with fragmentation only as far as files less than 20 MB are concerned. Under heavy disk usage (big video files for example) you may easily end up with high fragmentation.