I Wanna be an iTunes DJ...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
But I have a few questions about iTunes 3.

1. Since I installed iTunes 3 all my previous playlists now play in a manner that when one track ends, the other begins (fade out/fade in). Can I change this setting in each playlist to suit my needs?

2. Certain songs in a playlist may be louder or lower in sound quality. Can I use the equalizer on certain songs in a playist to adjust their levels and save them. Or does iTunes have a feature to even out the sound quality itself?

These are just questions involving the process that I want to use if I can to burn CD's of my favorite or rare MP3's that I have. Any help or tips appreciated.

I love iTunes. Reminds me of when I'd create personal cassettes of selections on my LP's back in the 80's (God I'm old )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    iTunes 3 has a feature that will check the volume levels of each track and "normalize" the volume so they peak around the same levels.

Unfortuantely, I am at work right now and am forced to use a Dell Precisionj 340, otherwise I could be giving you specific instructions for the iTunes 3 preferences...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Rhoq:

<strong>iTunes 3 has a feature that will check the volume levels of each track and "normalize" the volume so they peak around the same levels.

Unfortuantely, I am at work right now and am forced to use a Dell Precisionj 340, otherwise I could be giving you specific instructions for the iTunes 3 preferences...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the start! I'm at work on a Gateway so don't feel TOO bad...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I've been wondering about this feature lately, does anyone know the answers to these questions?

Even before iTunes 3 you could do a get info on a song and set its volume lower or higher. How does this interact with Sound Check?

If you burn a CD will it normalize the tracks in relation to your entire collection, or just the tracks you are burning?

Does it normalize at all when burning/ripping or only on playback?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I'm not sure. I use CD Spin Doctor to record my vinyl collection onto my HD. I use Peak 2.5 to master the recording (Remove DC Offset, Normalize, Fade to black, etc.) and then I use Jam to burn all of my audio CDs.

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Rhoq ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>1. Since I installed iTunes 3 all my previous playlists now play in a manner that when one track ends, the other begins</strong><hr></blockquote>See the Preferences. I think you might have "Crossfade Playback" enabled in the Effects section. I don't think you can set this on a per-playlist basis.

[quote]<strong>2. Certain songs in a playlist may be louder or lower in sound quality. Can I use the equalizer on certain songs in a playist to adjust their levels and save them. Or does iTunes have a feature to even out the sound quality itself?</strong><hr></blockquote>As Rhoq mentioned, the "Sound Check" feature, also in the Effects section of the preferences, will go through all of your MP3s and *attempt* to set them at an equal volume. Sometimes this helps a lot, sometimes not. As for the equalizer, yes, you can set specific equalizer settings on a per-file basis. You can do this by getting info on an mp3 in your playlist and clicking the options tab or by adding the equalizer column to the play list in the view options.

It should be noted, though, that these options only effect playback of the mp3s only on your computer and will not carry over onto CDs burned through iTunes (if I recall correctly).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hey i use quicktime and itunes to dj. really i consider dj-ing not setting a playlist and watching it play. but itunes has really awesome organazation features. so i use it to find what i will play then use the shor file or whatever comand, its like apple-R on the song you want and open it in quick time. then you can use the mouse and the command buttons to control multiple windows. another great program my brother uses is called baytex party pro. he uses the demo which is fully functional, but limits you to 30 songs. when he wants a new song he just trashes the preferences or something i havent looked into it but it must be easy if he figured it out.