Road to Mac OS X Leopard: Finder 10.5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leto View Post

Maybe I'm missing this feature in Tiger, but is there a way to see the full path in the Finder? If so, how? If not, this is something I'd really, really want in Leopard.

Another option (in addition to the ones already mentioned).

My number 1 feature request for Leopard is increased performance (and no more beach ball). I hope that all of this eye candy does not come with a performance hit. Any indications on how Leopard performs on PPC machines?
  • Reply 22 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Nice article.

I really love how networked machines automatically show up. If they are Windows based you can see what shares are available without having to go through several redundant steps. they are just there. And if it's a Mac the Scren Sharing button is readily available to you without the use of the expensive Remote Desktop software.

BTW, I do a lot of traveling and you wouldn't believe the number of unsecured C: Drives I find while staying in hotel rooms. I have a folder setup with 50 identical text files that I dump on their Desltop. The text files walk the user through how to turn of sharing of their C: Drive I'm trying to be a good Samaritan here but I wonder how many people feel violated and if my act could be grounds for a legal matter. Luckily my Mac doesn't show up on Windows networking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richardb View Post

Does the new Finder still hang when a connected share goes away?

As previously noted this no longer occurs. It apparently has to do with additional Unix strings or binding, but I'd love for someone to elaborate on it as this really has made Finder itself worth uprade from Tiger to Leopard if you have a networked environment.
  • Reply 23 of 106
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Does anybody know if there is a quick way to copy the path of file or folder to the clipboard? There are times I need to include the path of something in an email.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abrooks View Post

What happened to the bread crumbing?

What is that?
  • Reply 25 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Hey! I like the Finder icon! In my mind, it is as tightly bound to the concept of what a Mac is as the startup gong - which I also like!

I like it too and funnily enough was in a talk today by a colleague who was on the team that designed it (along with the Cyberdog and Firewire logos! Ah, Cyberdog...)

I don't find it goofy at all, and think it offers a much more friendly brand than Windows.

I wish it would still come up when my Mac switches on.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I love the Finder icon. It's retro and reminds me how far along Mac OS has come and reminds me of the roots of the OS.
  • Reply 27 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

My number 1 feature request for Leopard is increased performance (and no more beach ball). I hope that all of this eye candy does not come with a performance hit. Any indications on how Leopard performs on PPC machines?

I have an Intel iMac and PowerMac G5 and when I tested a recent version of Leopard, it was noticeably faster. Apps opened much faster than Tiger and everything felt snappier.

It makes me wonder if Apple purposely throttles the speed of the OS so each successive version seems faster.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Does anybody know if there is a quick way to copy the path of file or folder to the clipboard? There are times I need to include the path of something in an email.

Not to the clipboard, but if you do a google search I think you will find applescripts for such actions.

Scratch that...

Download TextWrangler. It does an amazing job of indenting each sub-folder/file too. Gotta give BareBones props on this one.

Warning: Since OS X Applications are really just a special folder with a .app appended to them it will log all those sub-folders/files too.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is that?

Bread crumbing means showing the entire path to the current location. Column View is bread crumbed by its nature, and the other views can see the bread crumbs in a popup. But traditional bread crumbs (as seen in some web sites) are often more like iTunes Music Store uses: a horizontal row that's always visible, yet nice and compact.

As seen in the screenshot above, I believe Leopard does add this option--placed at the bottom of the view.
  • Reply 30 of 106
    Quote:

I can only think of dragging and dropping the folder into a terminal window and then copying the path to the clipboard.
  • Reply 31 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Bread crumbing means showing the entire path to the current location. Column View is bread crumbed by its nature, and the other views can see the bread crumbs in a popup. But traditional bread crumbs (as seen in some web sites) are often more like iTunes Music Store uses: a horizontal row that's always visible, yet nice and compact.

As seen in the screenshot above, I believe Leopard does add this option--placed at the bottom of the view.

Gotcha, thanks. You can also Command+Click the titel bar for the breadcrymb or use the Customized Toolbar option to add it.

I prefer it listed at the bottom. My only complaint is that mouseovers for long names aren't revealing the full name. I suspect this is a bug.
  • Reply 32 of 106
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No..that was history from the 1st beta. No more temp lockouts when unmounting shares.

mmmmm Sorry, that hasn't been fixed as of tiger.

I get locked out all the times... Say I'm connected to my other mac and i restart that computer to windows... the machine that is connected to it doesnt' know it disappeared. THen I try and open something in the open file window with whatever program... and bam... beachball / no response for minutes until it realizes the share is not there anymore.
  • Reply 33 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

mmmmm Sorry, that hasn't been fixed as of tiger.

I get locked out all the times... Say I'm connected to my other mac and i restart that computer to windows... the machine that is connected to it doesnt' know it disappeared. THen I try and open something in the open file window with whatever program... and bam... beachball / no response for minutes until it realizes the share is not there anymore.

Umm, he meant first Beta of Leopard.
  • Reply 34 of 106
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Umm, he meant first Beta of Leopard.

Ahhhh
  • Reply 35 of 106
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

http://www.bergenstreetsoftware.com/news/?p=10
  • Reply 36 of 106
    The latest builds of 10.5 have the freeze after a network share is disconnected bug fixed. Also, the bread crumbs are disable by default, but can be enabled by selecting "View > Show Path Bar".

Grid spacing is back, and it works well.

The visual refresh on the Finder is very nice.

I suspect the final remaining complains about the Finder will be the Finder window lozenge switch that flips between views. I don't have a problem with a switch that changes how you traverse folders. My only complaint is that it completely changes the look of the Windows. I'm sure they could have come up with some other visual queue that signified you were in Spatial view mode.

I suspect more people will turn their hatred back towards the dock in 10.5. The Finder has gotten about as good as Apple is going to make it. The dock, on the other hand, has many many problems.

Oh, and in the latest builds, Apple has adjusted the menu bar. It isn't nearly as transparent as it was in the WWDC build. It still changes the reflect a good amount of the underlying desktop picture's color, but it doesn't reveal any detail. This makes for a good compromise. With the included B&W photo desktops, the bar has a nice silvery/gray appareance, and is quite ledgible.

Leopard is going to rock.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    I hope this 'Back to My Mac' feature of .Mac will eventually be a complete 'place-shifting' system including iPhone (and, keep dreaming, Windows) support. Leave all your documents including iTunes audio and video on one computer and access it via the internet (although I guess EDGE might not cut it for the iPhone) with near zero configuration. Also, allow new documents and purchases to be automatically saved to the server Mac. This fits well with the Apple TV. Then if a third-party like Elgato filled in the gaps with DVR software that automatically put files into iTunes, we would finally be able to have a completely Mac place-shifting media center.
  • Reply 38 of 106
    Quote:

they seem to have probs on intel macs - i use the applescripts on the followin page

http://www.pure-mac.com/cmm.html#filepathtoclip

as regards to the finder - i'd like a fixed place to view file activity. The new mail appears to have this integrated in its sidebar. I'd like this to be the case in finder too - maybe in the menubar or dock rather than a finder window tho. The current file transfer windows always lose focus.

yay for better icon previews - the thumbnail view in xp had osX beat for a long time. oh and one hting that shows how apple thinks of the details - the video previews jump 5 seconds in so you are not left with the black screen which is normal for the 1st 2nd of video clips.

i'd now like more filtering options in list mode and a hybrid columns / list view. The navigation is handled via columns but the current column view would have all the filtering / sorting options of list view.

more power to the save / close dialogue or a simple "show in finder" option if not a full mini finder.

yay for the hanging when connected drives / machines are turned off fix but i think this is a major bug that should be sorted out in tiger with an update and not be a selling point for leopard.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leto View Post

Maybe I'm missing this feature in Tiger, but is there a way to see the full path in the Finder? If so, how? If not, this is something I'd really, really want in Leopard.

1. Right-click in the toolbar of any open Finder window and choose "Customize Toolbar..." from the pop-up menu that appears; or choose "Customize Toolbar..." from the "View" menu while a Finder window is selected.

2. From the palette that appears, drag the "Path" pop-up button into the toolbar above it, positioning and then dropping it wherever you want it. You may have to wait a couple of seconds for the toolbar to respond to your movements.

3. Click "Done" to close the palette.

4. To remove that pop-up button, or any other tool, from a Finder window toolbar, hold down the Command/Apple key, drag the item anywhere outside of the toolbar, and release it.

5. Click on the "Path" pop-up button in any Finder window to see an inverse hierarchical list of the file path to that folder.

• Reply 40 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

You know, I think at this point (after them adding bread crumbs to the finder)... my biggest complaint is lack of tabs for the finder. It gets so old having 20 finder windows open and trying to figure out which is which using expose or whatever method.

Part of me is really disappointed in apple in not listening to users in adding tabs. They added tabs to the terminal so they obviously know they are needed in some places. Why not finder window?

The other part of me feels like Apple has a really good reason for not using tabs, but I sure can't think of it.

I use tabs on other apps all the time, but what Finder can do as-is is more or less good enough for me, and is better in some ways. I add folders to the list in the lower right pane of the finder Window. The biggest problem for me is that Finder doesn't always remember where I was last time I was in a given folder, but usually finder doesn't forget those links either. Most other tabbed programs that I use forget the tabs whenever the program is quit or the window is closed.