iMac colours a problem for you?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Need it in ALL Black?

or green? or pink?

It had completely slippped my mind to check the Colorware site, but I just have and am rather tempted by this.

Anyone in the UK bought new from them? would I need to worry about US to UK voltage issues?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22

Anybody else miss white apple products?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chamberlain

Anybody else miss white apple products?

I can only speak for myself, so, no.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Well, you mustn't have enjoyed yourself... I doubt you liked the translucent plastic and pinstripes either?

Aluminum must've struck a warm note in your heart.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post

Well, you mustn't have enjoyed yourself... I doubt you liked the translucent plastic and pinstripes either?

Aluminum must've struck a warm note in your heart.

Well white had a long life.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I can only speak for myself, so, no.

Me neither. I am so sick of Apple white I can't even begin to describe it it's so bad.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well white had a long life.

From... 2002 to now. Translucent iMac look (with the iBook and late PMG3s, early PMG4's) was 98 - 02.

So. I suppose it lasted pretty long. But not as long as grey and beige casings. (76 - 98)
  • Reply 7 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I personally am still fond of the original iMac design. If I weren't so damn busy all the time, I'd make an iMacQuarium. Depending on how busy I am during the winter holidays, I might try to band one out around then.

No, I'm not set on a color.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post

I suppose it lasted pretty long. But not as long as grey and beige casings. (76 - 98)

{Shudder} Don't remind me

I don't know what it is exactly but the mini in metalic Red look SO cool to my eye.

but doesn't seem to quite work on the iMac

and just for grins, I've always loved the translucent clamshell iBook in Orange:-

I think this is pretty close

This is ok too

Now if they could just offer the Black border and new keyboard in colours as well
  • Reply 9 of 22
    That last one looks like the McLaren Mercedes F1 iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stutenkerl View Post

That last one looks like the McLaren Mercedes F1 iMac.

Nice call Stutenkerl!

When is Tag coming out with a special edition Apple iMac watch?!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I've always been fond of the white, but along with many others, I've wished that there were colorful options
  • Reply 12 of 22
    So does anyone know if, say an iMac would work if I bought the US version direct from colorware to use in the UK? power wise?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

So does anyone know if, say an iMac would work if I bought the US version direct from colorware to use in the UK? power wise?

Well I think if you got the necessary power converters it'd work, although maybe your best bet would be purchasing an iMac in the UK and then sending it to ColorWare to be colored, I'm sure they'd do that for you. Of course the shipping might be expensive, but if you gotta have it you gotta have it, right?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

iMac colours a problem for you?

Yes, indeed, it is a problem. I prefer neutral colors. And especially I cannot stand the redish-pinkish tones. They are attractive on women's lips (especially when not artificial ) but not on computers.

Thankfully Apple still has its senses, so I can still buy and use Apple computers.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haiduc210 View Post

Well I think if you got the necessary power converters it'd work, although maybe your best bet would be purchasing an iMac in the UK and then sending it to ColorWare to be colored, I'm sure they'd do that for you. Of course the shipping might be expensive, but if you gotta have it you gotta have it, right?

The cost of shipping both ways would tip this into the "silly" area getting it direct from them is feasible, but I don't "gotta have it" that much. t'was but a whim. The iMacs power supply is internal yes? I was hoping it might be a universally switching unit so that all I had to do was change the plug on the power lead. if they are different units for the US voltage and the UK then it won't work

--

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Yes, indeed, it is a problem. I prefer neutral colors. And especially I cannot stand the redish-pinkish tones. They are attractive on women's lips (especially when not artificial ) but not on computers.

Thankfully Apple still has its senses, so I can still buy and use Apple computers.

You didn't own a translucent iMac then? where would we be if we had stuck to beige?

I agree some of the colours are garish, but alot of people were sad to see the white go, white isnt garish.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    The problem with the iMac colors is the black border round the screen and these color changes don't really help except pure black all over. Is there still not a site that gives you custom non-glossy screen replacements?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

You didn't own a translucent iMac then?

No, I did not. But the G3 iMac colors were not as much aggressive as the ones we see lately. Also, being translucent can make a big difference. I had in my office one of them though for two years and I cannot say that it really annoyed me. I think it has to do with the translucency of the case.

Quote:

where would we be if we had stuck to beige?

There is grey also whose presence is even more discreet. The Macbook is the only Apple computer that still has not the grey aluminium touch on it. Hmm...

Quote:

I agree some of the colours are garish, but alot of people were sad to see the white go, white isnt garish.

White, yes, I can take that if it is an iMac and not an iBook or Macbook. Continuous contact will ruin it over time. It is one of the reasons I did not buy such a Mac portable.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Only some iMac G5s bought in the US had US only power-supplies. All other iMacs can be used world-wide - just change the power cord.

The Airport cards differ due to frequency limitations in some countries too but unless you go hanging around certain government facilities you'll be okay!)

mrtotes
  • Reply 19 of 22
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    If they anodized the aluminum, that'd be one thing, but I'm pretty sure they actually paint the things, so no, I do not want.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

No, I did not. But the G3 iMac colors were not as much aggressive as the ones we see lately. Also, being translucent can make a big difference. I had in my office one of them though for two years and I cannot say that it really annoyed me. I think it has to do with the translucency of the case.

There is grey also whose presence is even more discreet. The Macbook is the only Apple computer that still has not the grey aluminium touch on it. Hmm...

White, yes, I can take that if it is an iMac and not an iBook or Macbook. Continuous contact will ruin it over time. It is one of the reasons I did not buy such a Mac portable.

Colours ain't for you then

I have a 3 year old iBook in the next room, no discoloration at all - a few scratches, but thats not discoloration.

I have to admit that I was hard pressed to decide between the Alu or Black iPod Classic, eventually went with the Black. my plan is to biy an Alu iMac once we see if Macworld brings any upgrades or not, and I thought it would look well when charging, beside it, just a pity the Docks are still white. spoils the effect a bit.