Do all 20" iMacs have the gradient problem?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm sure most of you are aware of the gradient issue. I'm planning on getting the new 20" iMac when leopard comes out, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts now.

My budget is 1500 dollars. I cannot push this budget any further, by any means. I currently work on an HP PC, with a 19 flat-panel monitor. You should know that I'm a digital painter, so I use a wacom tablet. My current intuos tablet (which is 6x8) will not function properly on a widescreen monitor, so, along with the new 20" imac, I would need to purchase a 6x11 intuos tablet.

20" iMac = 1200

6x11 intuos = 300

If I were to get a 24" iMac, and the 12x19 tablet I would need for the screen, I would have to pay 1800 for the iMac alone (which is 300 dollars above my budget) and 700 for the 12x19 tablet (it's the most expensive tablet, aside from the centiq.) That makes 2500 total, which I stress, is a thousand dollars I don't have.

So, that's why I'm stressing over the 20" model's gradient issue.

I need to know - has this problem been present in all 20" models, or just some? Has apple adressed the issue, and do they intend to fix it?

Again, please don't tell me to get a 24". I don't have the funds.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtIsLife View Post

I'm sure most of you are aware of the gradient issue. I'm planning on getting the new 20" iMac when leopard comes out, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts now.

My budget is 1500 dollars. I cannot push this budget any further, by any means. I currently work on an HP PC, with a 19 flat-panel monitor. You should know that I'm a digital painter, so I use a wacom tablet. My current intuos tablet (which is 6x8) will not function properly on a widescreen monitor, so, along with the new 20" imac, I would need to purchase a 6x11 intuos tablet.

20" iMac = 1200

6x11 intuos = 300

If I were to get a 24" iMac, and the 12x19 tablet I would need for the screen, I would have to pay 1800 for the iMac alone (which is 300 dollars above my budget) and 700 for the 12x19 tablet (it's the most expensive tablet, aside from the centiq.) That makes 2500 total, which I stress, is a thousand dollars I don't have.

I need to know - has this problem been present in all 20" models, or just some? Has apple adressed the issue, and do they intend to fix it?

If you are really on a small budget, have you considered buying a 2.0 GHz Mac mini for $800? It has similar specs as the entry level iMac, the major drawback is the integrated graphics, but if your work is 2D only, that shouldn't be too much of problem. You could continue using your LCD and tablet and maybe add an external HD and 1 GB of RAM.

In case that you have a bit more money to spend at a later time, you can always sell the mini on eBay and buy a 24" iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    One of the reasons I'm getting an iMac is because the monitor I have already has a problem. It shuts on and off randomly. Also, I'm going into a media arts and animation program, so my work won't always be 2D-only.

And, again, if I buy a 24" iMac, I'd have to buy a 700 dollar tablet, and there's no way in hell I'm doing that.

My main reason for posting this thread wasn't for suggestions on something else to buy, but rather if the problem is present on every 20" iMac and if apple has adressed it or not.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

My main reason for posting this thread wasn't for suggestions on something else to buy, but rather if the problem is present on every 20" iMac and if apple has adressed it or not.

And my reason for not answering your initial question directly is simply that I have not seen every 20" iMac, so I cannot make a honest statement on that.

The ones that I've seen showed quite a strong gradient, and I guess for your intended usage, this can be a major problem.

Maybe I am allowed to mention that there is also the possibility to get a refurbished white iMac 20" with matte screen. It doesn't look as good as the new one, but you won't have problems with the display.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

All of the 20" models I have seen have it, although some have it more than others, or rather some have it barely at all. However, the ones I have seen are all part of the first batch (including mine), so it may be that current and future batches have eliminated this completely. However, given that you are a digital painter, and this issue is important to you, I'd wait until you can see the machine you want to buy performing the way you want it to perform before you pull the trigger.

I wouldn't buy the old model because that would be like, well, buying the old model.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

I'd love to know if Apple has addressed the issue and if they intend to do anything about it. I have a 20" that is affected by the issue and every time I look at the screen I get a little angrier. I'd return the machine but its been more than a month.

I called support and they said it was an issue and to bring it to a service center. I'm reluctant to do this because I keep seeing new posts from people on the apple support forums saying that they just bought a new one with the issue. I have a feeling it hasn't been fixed. I wouldn't mind trading up to a 24" but that is no longer an option since I retardedly (yea thats a word now) waited too long.

...So pissed.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

20" iMac = 1200

6x11 intuos = 300

I don't believe this issue will be resolved with this version of the iMac which is why I went with the 24" model. First the 20" has a 160 degree vieing angle and the 24" has a 178 degree. The 24" is 30% brighter also. I believe the 20 inch is an 8 bit TN panel which often has poor quality.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the "gradient" problem? Are you simply referring to the type of display and more narrow viewing angle?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    On many of the new iMacs one side of the screen is very bright and the other is very dark, creating a gradient.

You can see an example in this post.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by details View Post

On many of the new iMacs one side of the screen is very bright and the other is very dark, creating a gradient.

Wow! I had not noticed that. Count my 20inch as one of those with the gradient issue. Could this be related to the glass tint?

Here is a screen shot from my machine. Note the darker shadowing of the top egg.

• Reply 10 of 10
    {My current intuos tablet (which is 6x8) will not function properly on a widescreen monitor, so, along with the new 20" imac, I would need to purchase a 6x11 intuos tablet.}

Just saw your question in this forum and thought I'd respond to one thing--can't say much about the iMac issue!

I'm a digital artist also, (tedpainter.com) and use the Mac. I use a 6 X 8 Wacom Graphire 3 rather than the Intuo pen. There's no problem with the software provided with the pen in setting up whatever area of the monitor you wish to use. I also use a CRT next to the iMac (17") and have used both screens though at the moment I'm only using the iMac screen with the pen and have to resort to the mouse to get to the other screen. I'll probably go back to using both screens soon though as this is awkward.

Nonetheless, you can use the software to map out whatever regions on the screen you wish to use on one or both screens very easily, including the new wide screens. I'd be very surprised if this isn't available also on the Intuo software. -

If you haven't done this, open the "system preferences" folder (in the dock) and look down on the bottom for the "pen tablet". Open this and go to "Pen Mode". It's here that you choose how to map the area of the screen for the pen. Very easy to do and it can be changed anytime.

Hope I'm not telling you something you already know, but if not, this may mean you won't need to buy another tablet.

Ted