New Apple Cinema Displays.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Samsung 52" 1080p LCD HDTV with LED backlight ~$5K, 1155 in^2, $4.33/in^2

Samsung 57" 1080p LCD HDTV with LED backlight ~$8K, 1387 in^2, $5.77/in^2

If Samsung can do it, Apple can. $8K is pricey but that's for a 57" flat panel!

A 30" LCD is about 384 in^2. At $4.33/in^2, that's $1663. Add the fact that it's higher resolution than the Samsungs. Subtract the fact that LCD manufacturing costs should go down as a function of diagonal. Add an Apple premium. $1999? $2499?

Yeah, and then why would anyone buy an Apple LCD at $2000, when a 30" Dell is $1200. They need to get the price around to $1400 for the 30", $700 for the 24", and $400 for the 20" if they even keep that one around.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halo1982 View Post

Yeah, and then why would anyone buy an Apple LCD at $2000, when a 30" Dell is $1200. They need to get the price around to $1400 for the 30", $700 for the 24", and $400 for the 20" if they even keep that one around.

First, because LED backlighting is superior to CCFL.

Second, because Dell sucks it.

I'm using two Dell 20" LCDs right now. Out-of-box they looked great... but now that they are three-four years old, they are degrading. Both panels now easily show "ghosted" or burnt-in pixels (like old CRTs, except not permanent) after only minutes of "exposure." After being on for a few hours, the top of the screen looks like it's melting. One of the panels intermittently power-cycles.

In short, you get what you pay for.

I would have replaced these long ago, but I keep holding out for the product refresh on the ACDs.

(Note: I have two SGI1600SW 17" monitors that are twice as old as the Dells, and they do not have any problems. They are getting dim, but they're quite old by LCD standards. I paid more for the SGIs than the Dells.)
  • Reply 43 of 56
    The release, irrefutable, can even bet that the new ACDs will come out shortly after the new Mac Pro's... Takers?
  • Reply 44 of 56
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht View Post

The release, irrefutable, can even bet that the new ACDs will come out shortly after the new Mac Pro's... Takers?

It would be odd if new ACDs were to be released before the next update of the Mac Pro. I would expect either the Mac Pro to be first or for them to be released together. Are you expecting HDMI?
  • Reply 45 of 56
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I read something the other day which would seem to say newer versions of the HDMI spec will handle higher bandwidth/resolution than dual-link DVI. So maybe we will see HDMI on new displays, especially if Apple ups the resolution on the 30" model or introduces a larger model.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Using Type B connectors, the HDMI spec supports 3200x2048. I expect Apple will skip the Type A connectors which are good only up to 1920x1200.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Did anyone see the Gold Plated Mac Book Pro from the Digg article?

Nice. Very nice.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    I'd like to see integrated iSight camera, optional speakers that blend in with the design, and maybe high resolution. response times, and accuracy. I do not think they need anything bigger than 30" for now. Nothing too ground breaking just a solid update.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Two years on I post and there is STILL NO APPLE CINEMA DISPLAYS!

WHAT IS GOING ON!
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:

Two years on I post and there is STILL NO APPLE CINEMA DISPLAYS!

WHAT IS GOING ON!

Here you are. It is not the entire line, but it is an update. They will probably either phase the others out or update them to similar technology sometime this year. It would be nice if Apple adjusted the price more to be competitive but that is their choice.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    I know about that one! I am eternally waiting for the new 30".
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

I know about that one! I am eternally waiting for the new 30".

I honestly do not know why Apple continues to make them. When they come out with a new model it is typically competitively priced, though on the high end of the product category. However, they don't update their displays on a regular basis or adjust the prices of the current models to reflect the market conditions between their rather long update cycle.

The only things that the new model brings is the Apple style and a new display connection that at the moment is unique to Apple's portable line. Sure it has some advantages but so did the ADC and where is that today? All it really did was further limit the potential market for their new displays just as the new 24" is limited to the owners of new Mac Books.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    What would be nice is a website that focused entirely on display reviews, specifically which panels are comparable in speed, viewing angle and colour fidelity to the ones Apple uses.

You can't just walk into a Costco or Best Buy and figure out which are IPS or TN.

Apple takes the guesswork out of finding the high quality panels, but we pay for it dearly.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What would be nice is a website that focused entirely on display reviews, specifically which panels are comparable in speed, viewing angle and colour fidelity to the ones Apple uses.

You can't just walk into a Costco or Best Buy and figure out which are IPS or TN.

Apple takes the guesswork out of finding the high quality panels, but we pay for it dearly.

I absolutely agree. It's the most deplorable part of all reviewed products.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:

I'm willing to bet that if there's a 20" model, they release it when the Mini comes out. Then, the 30", or any other size larger than the 24" model, will come out with the new pro.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Sure you can- just look at the viewing angles published on the spec sheet (you may have to look online for a particular model, but you should be shopping online anyway).

160 degrees = TN

178 degrees = *VA or IPS