Analyst weighs in on Leopard, expected Macworld launches

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neven View Post

You and a few friends don't constitute "most" Mac buyers. The typical Mac buyer doesn't pay attention to rumor sites, doesn't hang around Mac forums, and these days, the average Mac buyer probably doesn't know what Leopard is.

It wasn't even mentioned in the last two press events either. While they did promote it a bit at MWSF and on the front of the Apple page, the only way anyone would know anything about Leopard or even that it exists would be to go to a Mac enthusiast site or spelunk a bit at Apple.com. I don't think there is even any promotional material at the Apple stores either. It's not a secret, but it seems like they are trying hard to not tell anyone about it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'll think you'll find you meant 3:2, or 16:10 perhaps?

4:3? Hell no.

On such a small display, some people consider that to be too short to be used as a computer display. Even shorter when you take out space for the default dock location and menu bar. For the same diagonal, widescreen does add width, but takes a disproportionate amount of the height in exchange.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:

You and a few friends don't constitute "most" Mac buyers. The typical Mac buyer doesn't pay attention to rumor sites, doesn't hang around Mac forums, and these days, the average Mac buyer probably doesn't know what Leopard is.

Brilliant comment!

Include my wife in that group, despite the fact that she has used (her own -- to this date) Macs since 1984, has a husband who is a Mac fan: yet she does not know what Leopard is.

In fact, just today, when I told her that it's an improvement over Tiger, she asked, "What's Tiger?"

Sometimes, I think we do, indeed, fail to recognize that we might be the ones that might inhabit a parallel universe!
  • Reply 23 of 61
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not a secret, but it seems like they are trying hard to not tell anyone about it.

Sure, don't want to dissuade any ignorant consumers coming in to pick up a new computer. It'd be pretty bad to have a customer looking over a new iMac glance up and say, "What's that?" "Ah, it's a poster for our new OS that's coming out in a month." "Oh. I'll be back then."

I'm firmly in the waiting for Leopard camp. And I'm also waiting for new MacBooks - hopefully with x3100 graphics. We've been wanting a laptop for a few years now, but something else keeps getting in the way. This go 'round I'm determined to buy on day 1 - week 1 at the latest.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'll think you'll find you meant 3:2, or 16:10 perhaps?

4:3? Hell no.

8.5:11, the same as a piece of paper, plus a little bit for the dock (so maybe 9.5:11).
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What's the calendar on Apple's quarter end? When's the next call?

The qtr just ended
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifiredmyboss.com View Post

The qtr just ended

Next end of Apple's quarter must be 10/25/07. Am I right?
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sekio View Post

I disagree. I know of a few people who are waiting for Leopard before upgrading their computers, myself included.

ditto
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:

I've got PowerPC OS X and I'll buy 10.5 Family Pack, but I'm definitely waiting for the next phase of Mac Pro this coming MacWorld January before I buy another system.

The only problem I will have is dealing with 64 bit development.

I'll have to wait for the new hardware.

Then again, I could get present Mac Pro and then buy a second box, but I'd rather buy the upcoming Mac Pro and buy an upcoming XServe.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

The quarter ended 9/30/07.

This is also end of year .

Both to be reported 10 /22/07.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    as for what's coming at macworld, how about apple pays a little attention to the "pro" hardware? anyone here remember when apple made computers for design/animation?

some new desktops would be nice. throw in yorkfield chips and some HD optical drives... and update the monitors - it's been a while. glass on the imac, why not the cinemas?
  • Reply 31 of 61
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    beep.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    We need a new term to describe this phenomenon: "Leopard waiters".

Of which, I am one too. 'cept I may be waiting a good loooong time past the Leopard release. Why?

Well, I want a (new) 15" notebook this time around. But I'm not gonna shell out $2000 for one, which is what Stevie J seems to think is a good minimum for a 15" notebook, even though well-equipped 15" PC notebooks can be had for $1200 or so (and not so well-equipped for a lot less than that). \

Yeah, we know, we KNOW... Apple notebooks are selling like hotcakes even so. And booyah for that, since I own Apple stock.

Thing is, Apple could be doing even better if their prices in some segments weren't so looney-tunes... such as $2K for a new notebook if one wants a screen larger than 13".

Sorry Steve, but the notebook segment has moved on... 13" is small now, 14-15" is standard these days. And $2K is now more than double the average notebook price ($938 as of Q2 '07... http://www.computerwire.com/industri...E-8921818C09FB )

So my choices are... a too-small screen at an 'almost sane' price (MB), or an average-sized screen at an outrageous price (MBP).

Sry, but at some point you have to say... screw that. \

Someday, probably a looong time down the road, Apple will either price drop (lol... yeah, when Hell holds snowboarding tournaments), or they'll bring 15" screens to the MB lineup. Don't care how they get there, long as they do. I can wait to buy.

So, we'll see who's more stubborn... TBaggins, future Mac upgrader, or Steven P. "How can I wring even more money out of them?" Jobs.

If the wait is a long one, that's okay... I got plenty of time.

• Reply 33 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Brilliant comment!

Sometimes, I think we do, indeed, fail to recognize that we might be the ones that might inhabit a parallel universe!

We do. most Mac users have no idea about any of the issues we debate here.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

What are you saying?

The quarter, as has been stated, ended 9/30/07. That was the forth quarter.

We are now in the first accounting quarter of 2008. That will end 12/31/07.

I know it sounds odd, but that's the way it is.

The call from analysts for the last quarter, which just ended, will be on the 22nd of this month.

I hope that cleared it up for you.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    A quetion for those with AAPL stock. Is it time to sell? Maybe take a little of the table and buy back after MacWorld? This run up in AAPL stock is quite amazing.

I not saying that I'm going to do this but the thought is definitely crossing my mind.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    bollocks. who wants to pay 130 euros extra just for not being patient if he can. in addition, switchers are going to wait so they don't get accustomed to an old system and then have to relearn stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

A quetion for those with AAPL stock. Is it time to sell? Maybe take a little of the table and buy back after MacWorld? This run up in AAPL stock is quite amazing.

I not saying that I'm going to do this but the thought is definitely crossing my mind.

I'm holding. Unless you are just buying through an IRA, or equivalent, where you pay no taxes upon selling into profits, it might be dangerous to sell. without going into detail about puts, calls, etc., what is the guarantee that the stock will go down enough to cover your taxes? If it goes up before it drops to that level, assuming it drops after you sell without going up more first, you may be caught short.

I've held since I bought at $16.93 in 2004, and while I could have made more by selling, and re-buying, there is no guarantee that the timing would have been right.

I'll cry over my 2,000% gain.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clemo View Post

bollocks. who wants to pay 130 euros extra just for not being patient if he can. in addition, switchers are going to wait so they don't get accustomed to an old system and then have to relearn stuff.

Wait a wee while and save 130 quid, or buy now......... hmmm

Patience will pay off in the end.

Like the advice on a Guinness Beer mat once said "All things come to he who waits ".

For goodness sake, I cant wait myself, but I am. It is torture apple dangling a carrot above our heads like this, but common sense says wait off!

Come on people, use the common sense.

Canny wait to get Leopard though!!!!!!!
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

What's the calendar on Apple's quarter end? When's the next call?

Apple will report earnings October 22.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    deleted