Analyst weighs in on Leopard, expected Macworld launches

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    deleted
  • Reply 42 of 61
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    might be to give away Vista Home Basic Pre-installed with every Mac that comes with Leopard!

Apple should possibly go for a home run with Leopard - and provide Windows Vista as a pre-installed option when you buy a Mac from the Apple Store online. This would possibly be the best way to ensure that those on the fence can switch to Mac, and Apple can get the additional hardware sales at the very least, plus more switchers in the future -

If I were Steve, I would give a Windows Vista Home Basic license away FREE with every new Mac that comes with Leopard. This should dramatically increase hardware sales of Macs, and also help people directly compare Vista and Leopard and help them switch. The additional cost of Vista could be absorbed based on the additional hardware sales (if Apple does this - their sales could possibly be as high as Dell and HP) - and at a single shot they would get much higher market share in the PC segment. Just the additional volumes could make their manufacturing cheaper to absorb the cost of Home Basic. Effectively Apple would be lowering their margins to increase marketshare, which is a pretty effective strategy. Also providing Home Basic - which is essentially a crippled version of Windows would be a very strategic way to showcase Leopard as even better than Vista. If a customer wants a more premium version of Vista, then he has to pay up for it. In all probablity, Apple can get Vista very cheap at some kind of OEM deal - I know MS might not like to give them an OEM deal - but I guess in this age of anti-trust, etc., MS might find it tough to deny OEM sales to Apple. In fact - considering that Vista sales havent exactly set the charts on fire, MS might actually not be too much against Apple doing this (long shot - but cant be ruled out entirely).

Even though Boot Camp supports Vista on Macs, most users would still be worried about buying a Mac to run Vista - just because it is a big unknown. Dealing with drivers, etc. is not for everyone. But if it comes factory installed on a Mac, it would be a much easier decision.

Is there any way MS can stop Apple from doing this? I guess they can deny Apple OEM status, but if Apple is willing to pay retail prices for Windows, then I cant see how MS can stop Apple from doing this.

10 years back Michael Dell said that Apple should just shut down and give money back to shareholders - if Steve Jobs has the guts to do this, he could force Dell to shut down. Apple could take over the ENTIRE premium segment of computing, and leave the cheaper cost conscious segments for Dell, HP, Gateway, Lenovo. The tables would be turned fair and square.

Come on Steve - the PC market is yours if you want it... do you have the guts to go for it and change the world? Or will you go the long grind way, and build up market share slowly and steadily, and always be at the edge of the market, maybe a strong niche, but just a niche. Apple can once again be THE industry.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Ha Ha nice one. Seriously, that would be a very interesting strategy, because Vista Home Basic is like asking a one-legged man to poke out both his eyes.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    ..so am I correct when I say that there's a pretty big chance we won't see a new MB or MBP untill January (MacWorld).

I was hoping (like many others I guess) for a new Macbook when leopard was released... my first mac
  • Reply 46 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_bending_unit View Post

..so am I correct when I say that there's a pretty big chance we won't see a new MB or MBP untill January (MacWorld).

I was hoping (like many others I guess) for a new Macbook when leopard was released... my first mac

Apple released updated MacBooks last November. A month after they updated the MacBook Pros.

Apple ususally updates the MB soon after th MBP but the iPhone steam seems to have delayed that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new MB this month or next. In fact, I'm expecting it.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What are you saying?

The quarter, as has been stated, ended 9/30/07. That was the forth quarter.

We are now in the first accounting quarter of 2008. That will end 12/31/07.

I know it sounds odd, but that's the way it is.

The call from analysts for the last quarter, which just ended, will be on the 22nd of this month.

I hope that cleared it up for you.

Yep, clears it up. BTW, it was cleared up after my question was asked.

I own my own "S" corporation, so I understand that quarters end whenever it has been established that they end. No rocket science involved, I simply asked when Apple's quarter ended. Thanks.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new MB this month or next. In fact, I'm expecting it.

I hope you're right man!
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulpine View Post

So, what are the rumors regarding the ultraportable? I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro because of the non-glossy screen, the better graphics performance, and the lighted keyboard. If I could get all these and also lose the CD-ROM drive and have a system as small as the old 12" PowerBook, that would be even more awesome. But I'm suspecting that the specs on the ultraportable will be on the same level as the current MacBooks. Any speculation?

You'll get all the speculation you need over in the Future Hardware. I'm hoping by January, maybe a little later. And there's no way it'd have the specs of a MBP. This thing won't be a replacement of all your computers. But gosh darn, it'll be gorgeous.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

You'll get all the speculation you need over in the Future Hardware. I'm hoping by January, maybe a little later. And there's no way it'd have the specs of a MBP. This thing won't be a replacement of all your computers. But gosh darn, it'll be gorgeous.

Using MacTracker as a guide, Apple has been using updating the MacBooks with the same MacBook Pro processor chipsets during the next revamp.

Speculation Alert: If there is no new MacBook this year, then perhaps Apple will be going "green" and we will see colorful anodized aluminium casings (matching the Nanos) with LED backlit screens at MWSF08 instead.

Just another possibility.

@ SpamSandwich,

Since you don't accept PMs, I guess I guess I'll have to post it here. It looks like WiMAX tech is finally getting small enough to be included in notebook sized devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/09/m...s-five-ounces/

I'd love to at least see an EC/34 version if Intel can't come through this time around.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I was kind of expecting a sub-notebook at the Leopard launch, but maybe that was giving the rumors too much merit.

There is a 0% chance that Apple will release a sub-notebook before Penryn is available.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

will they be releasing the new Macbook Pro Penyrth processor at MACWORLD?

Apple will almost certainly announce systems based on Penryn at MWSF but the shipping date is difficult to predict.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

provide Windows Vista as a pre-installed option when you buy a Mac

The all the Microsoft boycotters would have to give up on the Mac and use Linux. No thanks! Please ship all Macs windows-free!
  • Reply 52 of 61
    At thebeat: There is no such thing as Penyrth. It's Penryn!

Apple is launching new portable models with Leopard preinstalled at the end of this month. Not January. These may feature the Penryn processor, however that would be some coop as Intel doesn't plan to let anyone else have the mobile versions of Penryn until Q1 2008. The new portables feature a significant redesign.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcnaugha View Post

Apple is launching new portable models with Leopard preinstalled at the end of this month. Not January.

Source? I want to ascertain the percentage of validity of the prediction.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Source? I want to ascertain the percentage of validity of the prediction.

If Apple does release 10.5 on schedule, by the end of the month, then they will release machines with it at the same time. It's possible that machines being manufactured very shortly will have 10.5 on them, and will be held at stores for the official release. This has been done in the past.

Apple can do that because the software is loaded into the HDD's as a disk image before the HDD's are even put into the machines. It's just a matter of switching software on the formatting machines, which takes a very short time. For retail sale, they have to be pressed, and then they need to be put into boxes with the rest of the materials, shrinkwrapped, and delivered to the distributers, and stores. That takes at least one more week, and closer to two.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:

If Apple does release 10.5 on schedule, by the end of the month, then they will release machines with it at the same time. It's possible that machines being manufactured very shortly will have 10.5 on them, and will be held at stores for the official release. This has been done in the past.

Oh, I think it's likely, it's just that mcnaugha was stating definitely that there would be portables then. I just wanted to know if he had some extra insight into this, or he was guessing like the rest of us. A minor speed bump to the MB is fine and dandy, but not a big thang, especially if it doesn't even go to Santa Rosa.

Just wanted to know if he had the "goods."
  • Reply 56 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Oh, I think it's likely, it's just that mcnaugha was stating definitely that there would be portables then. I just wanted to know if he had some extra insight into this, or he was guessing like the rest of us. A minor speed bump to the MB is fine and dandy, but not a big thang, especially if it doesn't even go to Santa Rosa.

Just wanted to know if he had the "goods."

All we do here is guess. Even though I know a couple of people in engineering management at Apple for quite a few years, they still only give me oblique hints at best. Sometimes it's enough to figure something out, if there is other corroborating evidence from elsewhere, but usually, all it does is to make me think "Oh, that's what they meant" AFTER something happens.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Quote:

All we do here is guess. Even though I know a couple of people in engineering management at Apple for quite a few years, they still only give me oblique hints at best. Sometimes it's enough to figure something out, if there is other corroborating evidence from elsewhere, but usually, all it does is to make me think "Oh, that's what they meant" AFTER something happens.

Leopard will be enough fun for me -- everything else will just be early Xmas.

Thanks.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    ok, enough waiting.... i'll buy whatever comes out at Macworld.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Brilliant comment!

Include my wife in that group, despite the fact that she has used (her own -- to this date) Macs since 1984, has a husband who is a Mac fan: yet she does not know what Leopard is.

In fact, just today, when I told her that it's an improvement over Tiger, she asked, "What's Tiger?"

Sometimes, I think we do, indeed, fail to recognize that we might be the ones that might inhabit a parallel universe!

Thats right! My wife has a Macbook Pro and uses Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop extensively. But she could care less what OS is running, as long as her Apps work cleanly and efficiently. Months ago, I told her about the cool Leopard upgrades like time machine and core animation. She said, 'so it will make photoshop run faster, right?' uhhh.....
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Thats right! My wife has a Macbook Pro and uses Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop extensively. But she could care less what OS is running, as long as her Apps work cleanly and efficiently. Months ago, I told her about the cool Leopard upgrades like time machine and core animation. She said, 'so it will make photoshop run faster, right?' uhhh.....

Yeah, most people I know live in their apps. Writers live in their script or word processing apps. Graphic artists in their Photoshop, or whatever. Editors in their editing suite. The OS makes a difference if it crashes, and if their apps are speedy, and then... in minor ways for workflow, but not much. For them, stability and speed, the rest is how the app is set up. They're usually too busy to give much of a darn.