pet peeves

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi! Suddenly I've become interested in one question. What is your biggest pet peeves? As for me, I don't like rudeness concerning servers, when clients think that if they pay money, they can do everything with waiters or serving personnel. What about you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    People who use the word "myself" as a more high-falutin' way of saying "me."

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/self.html

(Actually, I think I put that in a Ranting Thread somewhere.)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Uber - Augh, where did this word come from, and when, when, WHEN, will it stop!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    My gas station. Really loud and crappy country music, a big sign about god, and really loud beeps when you press any button (I think that they guy that owns it is deaf or something - I actually have to plug one ear and lean way back to start the gas pump - it is that loud).

Plus they just raised the price of a car wash from $6 to $10, and added scrolling advertising to the pumps (and it tricks you with one of the very loud beeps to get you to look, those beeps used to signal the end of pumping).
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    *People who use apostrophes in plurals, (as in plural's)

*Manuals that go into great detail about things that are commonsense, while omitting the more obscure stuff that warrants explaining,

*Tailgaters (that one has to be a universal peeve, surely?)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

People who use the word "myself" as a more high-falutin' way of saying "me."

http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/self.html

(Actually, I think I put that in a Ranting Thread somewhere.)

Was that a reference to myself?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    People who over-use use ellipses (plural of ellipsis)...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Tailgaters...

Depends, there's two types.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

*Tailgaters (that one has to be a universal peeve, surely?)

An ancillary pet peeve: That as far as I know, cops rarely if ever ticket people for tailgating. Not once in my life have I ever seen this happen, certainly not to any bastard who was riding my bumper. The cops will happily pass out speeding tickets -- which is point'n'click-easy for them to do -- but they won't do a thing about tailgating (which is probably more dangerous than speeding most of the time), except perhaps if there is actually an accident which, after the fact, can be blamed on tailgating.

To the traffic enforcement officers of the world: PLEASE START TICKETING PEOPLE FOR TAILGATING!

We need a knew type of radar or laser system that not only measures the speed of vehicles, but the distance between them at the same time.