Road to Mac OS X Leopard: Finder 10.5

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    I'm really glad that they unified the spotlight search window into the finder. It annoyed me to no end that the spotlight search window lived in it's own 'world' that was only accessible via expose. I guess this is a recent development as there was still a search window in build 9a377a.

http://thinksecret.com/archives/leop...source/35.html

Then again... it does look similar to the 'refreshed' finder windows.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlmostBoughtaLisa View Post

... Leopard may generate icons for a greater variety of file types, but Tiger will do so for nearly all image types and even PDF documents.

No way. That's one of the new features in Leopard?preview of PDF documents not only when in column view and selecting each one, but also in "normal" icon view. PDF documents does not preview like that in Tiger.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Has anyone ever experienced the bug whereby... you change the extension name of a file... you get a dialog asking if you are sure you want to change the extension from .jpeg to .jpg (or whatever)... you say "yes"... and then the keyboard completely stops working. The only way to get it back is to use the mouse to logout and log back in. This is STILL present in the latest version of 10.4. I've reported it to Apple more than once... and it's never been fixed. I've observed this issue on my Macs at home AND at work... and with wired AND bluetooth keyboards... so I don't think it's just me.

Anyway... I trust that this highly annoying issue will finally be fixed?!?!?!

I know exactly what you mean. One doesn't have to log out however. Just go to Apple menu ?> Force Quit, select "Finder" and then click "Relaunch".

Hopefully this won't happen in Leopard.
  • Reply 64 of 106
    Great post Appleinsider, this is A-1 quality content, thanks again!

-Thunk Different.

• Reply 65 of 106
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    So if the new finder still based in Carbon?
  • Reply 66 of 106
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Don't worry, you are not going to be carbonised.

Carbon or Cocoa, it matters not if it is well done and gets the job done. The programming interface may be helpful but is not going to save you from design decisions and mistakes.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Good question. I'm curious too.
  • Reply 68 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

No way. That's one of the new features in Leopard?preview of PDF documents not only when in column view and selecting each one, but also in "normal" icon view. PDF documents does not preview like that in Tiger.

You're right about column-mode only view of PDF previews, of course. My error.

My larger point, though, was that the statement "Leopard now generates dynamic icon previews for files ..., similar to Windows Vista" made it seem as though Tiger never generated any icon previews dynamically, with the added implication that Leopard was following Vista's lead. That wouldn't be right, either.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilen View Post

Wondering: Will the new Finder feature a cut/paste function for files (something like the one in Windows)?

Moving files without using the mouse, for example, would be alot easier that way.

Hey, thats already there: right click (or Control Click) and select Copy - easy! You can activate a Cut function by using a Utility called Onyx (it has lots of other functions, too). I am sure there are others.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    When in column view and I enlarge a particular column so I can see the full file names, does this column STAY this wide the next time I go back to it?

I suspect not. And it's my #1 annoyance in the Finder today.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    When I set Finder prefs to open new windows in column view, then reboot, then open a Finder window, does it STILL insist on opening the window in icon view or does it honor my preference?

I suspect it is still in icon view. This is my #2 annoyance in today's Finder.
  • Reply 72 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

When in column view and I enlarge a particular column so I can see the full file names, does this column STAY this wide the next time I go back to it?

I suspect not. And it's my #1 annoyance in the Finder today..

No, but one cool trick is to hold down the Option key while resizing a single column to resize them all at the same time.

Think of it as a consolation prize.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Pleassssssseeee get rid of those old, outdated and ugly aqua gel buttons and scrollbars! I've hated those since they came out. Switch to what the iTunes Store uses please!
  • Reply 74 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

When I set Finder prefs to open new windows in column view, then reboot, then open a Finder window, does it STILL insist on opening the window in icon view or does it honor my preference?

I suspect it is still in icon view. This is my #2 annoyance in today's Finder.

Nope, I get Column View in Leopard with every window as I've set it up. They fixed that too.

PS: Does anyone actually use Labels?
  • Reply 75 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

Pleassssssseeee get rid of those old, outdated and ugly aqua gel buttons and scrollbars! I've hated those since they came out. Switch to what the iTunes Store uses please!

That does seem to be the last reminisce of Aqua-esque features in 10.5.

I like the gel buttons. Every other OS has worse buttons.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Does anyone actually use Labels?

Oh yeah ! I juggle with hundreds of files every day, and couldn't live without them. That's why I would love a wider choice in label colors. Custom label colors, that is. With the color picker. Would be great, but I doubt it will be in Leopard.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    Hi!

Sorry for being picky, but you wrote that "By the late 90s, Apple renamed the latest version of System 7 to Mac OS 7.6, and then released successive versions under the names Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9." I clearly remember my old Macintosh LC 630 running Mac Os 7.5 . Am I wrong?

Congratulations on the article, it's really interesting!!
  • Reply 78 of 106
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    You are correct btw... I ran it... along with 7.5.3, 7.5.5, etc
  • Reply 79 of 106
    wilenwilen Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by designer View Post

Hey, thats already there: right click (or Control Click) and select Copy - easy! You can activate a Cut function by using a Utility called Onyx (it has lots of other functions, too). I am sure there are others.

As far as I can see It's not there?

The idea was to NOT have to use the mouse (click) at all, but CUT and PASTE with the keyboard only (move files).

I have Onyx and have looked through the settings but can not seem to find the setting you are talking about?
  • Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serpicolugnut View Post

I suspect more people will turn their hatred back towards the dock in 10.5. The Finder has gotten about as good as Apple is going to make it. The dock, on the other hand, has many many problems.

Amen, brother.

This flies in the face of the "It's new and different, so it's KEWL!" crowd, but the Leopard Dock throws away so many useful features of the current Dock...I don't know where to start...

\t-- The new white dot-thing under each active application makes it even more difficult to tell at a quick glance which apps are actually open (is that the "open application" dot? a reflection of part of the icon? an element of the Desktop picture showing through the translucent Dock?). For God's sake, has some Microsoft mole infiltrated the Leopard team? You have to pick the correct Desktop picture to get the dot-things to stand out so that you can tell with a quick glance what's open.

\t-- The new Stacks/Piles/Whatever needs an overhaul. For years I've been telling users (I'm the Mac Guy in a college IT department) to hold the mouse button down (or right-click) and you'll see the contents of any folder on the Dock. Now, if you hold the mouse button down (or right-click) you get the same "remove/open/show" menu you get if you perform that function on an application icon. To add injury to injury, single-clicking now brings up the Stacks/Piles/Whatever view, instead of opening the item. So now, the same action gives you two different results for Dock icons, whereas before there was only one -- click once on any item to open it. That Microsoft mole sure is doing a bang up job for Redmond.

And please, Apple, give us some nicer folder icons. It looks like Leopard was designed by Fisher Price.

-- Stacks on the Dock are sorted by default so that the last icon added is the icon that shows up on the Dock. If you add the Utilities folder to the Dock, for example, the icon that appears in the dock is NOT a folder, but whatever item is first in the list of the sort order(!) For real fun, right-click on the Utilities folder on the dock and change the "Sort by" setting.

Sort by Name and the Activity Monitor app icon now represents the Utilities *folder*

Sort by Date Added, and the Java folder icon shows up (at least it's a folder icon)

Sort by Date Modified, and it will change again (I added the latest version of Skim, so that icon now represents the Utilities *folder*

Sort by Date Created, and the VoiceOver Utility is now your Utilities folder icon

Sort by Kind, and we're back to Activity Monitor representing the Utilities folder

So kiss your Applications folder goodbye...dragging it to the Dock gives me the AddressBook icon. Bleah.

-- There is no way to adjust the font size for items in Dock Stacks/Piles/Whatever, so most of the names of items in the Applications folder are cut off. Also, if you want to put a folder onto the dock and actually make it LOOK like a folder, you have to sort the items in that folder so that an actual folder will be "first" and thus show its icon on the Dock. Otherwise, you might wind up with an application icon first in the icon sort, and thus show its icon in the area formerly reserved for actual folders.

It's a mess. Kiss your smooth workflow good-bye -- you'll spend half your time opening the wrong items from the "new and improved" Dock. I've gone back to keeping everything on the Desktop again. With hierarchical folders gone the only way I can access things quickly is with a 3rd party contextual plugin that lets me browse folders using a right-click.

And another thing...this stupid "Quick Look" uses the *spacebar* as it's hotkey (there's another command-key combo as well), so forget about using the spacebar to jump to the top of a folder list anymore. Buh bye! One more useful feature gone.

This is the first OS upgrade I've ever contemplated sitting out. It's that bad. Really.

- N