Call to ask Apple to make Free updates to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard avilable to

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Call to ask Apple to make Free updates to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard avilable to all people who recently purchased an Apple computer

Below is what I believe is a very fairly worded petition to ask Apple to "Do The Right Thing"

http://www.petitiononline.com/leopard/petition.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    Ummm... "recently"?

Odds are, that's exactly what they'll do with or without a petition... except "recently" will mean 2-4 weeks before Leopard ships, as always. Are you asking for free Leopard for people who bought them earlier than that?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    .. Well lets see wasn't Leopard expected in April and would have been out in April IF Apple hadn't taken key personnel from the project to work on the iPhone?

If they were being nice they'd back date it to people who bought a Mac after April BUT if they want to be technical then consider this .. Apple give 90 days of free support for new Macs - so back date it at the very least 90 days before the launch of Leopard .. 90 days of free support .. 90 days of free upgraded OS - it also helps cover those students that HAD to buy computers to start doing their school and university work this year since around the world September is when most students start a new year at University, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Those who purchased their computers got exactly what it said on the box. And it has not been a secret what month 10.5 is coming out for quite some time now. I think that Apple will do exactly what they have always done on this, and either offer the program to people who have purchased computes after the release date, or after the announcement date. They are nice in doing that, and don't need to go any further.

10.4 works for you, otherwise you would not have purchased a new computer with it. 10.5 will be nice, but is an extra for your computer. Apple has no obligation, moral or legal, to give it to you for free.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    nevenneven Posts: 54member
    A-freakin'-men, Kuehn.

When a business breaks a promise (as opposed to a contract), you can vent your dissatisfaction by choosing not to do business with them; expecting them to compensate you with goods is the sort of cry-baby behavior that won't win you too many petition-signers, I hope.

If you're asking us to sympathize with the plight of the poor student who got "only" Tiger, think about what you're saying. Why shouldn't EVERY Tiger user get Leopard for free then, if this is such a hardship?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    c'mon, let's do the destiny's child thang!

neva gonna happen, neva gonna happen.... neeeeeeva gonna happen, neva gonna happen!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Have online petitions EVER worked?

I agree with the reasoning of the fact that people should already know about Leopard, and deal with it.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple has the policy in place already. You just have top buy it within 14 days or something. They are already doing the right thing.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeeLondon View Post

Call to ask Apple to make Free updates to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard avilable to all people who recently purchased an Apple computer

Below is what I believe is a very fairly worded petition to ask Apple to "Do The Right Thing"

http://www.petitiononline.com/leopard/petition.html

Dear Stevie Apple,

I recently bought my G4 466 Digital Audio from Apple Store (on-line) and I would like a free upgrade to OS 10.5.

Also, my G4 came with OS 9.1, and I paid for the upgrade to 10.4, that is another reason I should get a free upgrade to 10.5.

Also, I would like to request a free upgrade to 10.6, when it comes out, because it would be "the right thing to do".
  • Reply 9 of 31
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Where do I sign a petition against this crap? I'll be buying 10.5 and don't want to subsidize 10.5 for people who bought their computer without it.

Honestly, why does recent-ness have anything to do with entitlement to a free upgrade?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Where do I sign a petition against this crap?

I'll sign too. Gimme the pen.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Dude its only 129 bucks.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

Dude its only 129 bucks.

Well, $129 may mean many for some people, but that does not means that the petition is not really silly.

But we should sign anyway, even Jesus signed it*. As for the specifics, I don't want to repeat what the other said. Apple has already in place such a policy dealing with a reasonable time span before release.

*Signature #71
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeeLondon View Post

Call to ask Apple Computers

Did someone miss the name change?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neven View Post

Ummm... "recently"?

Odds are, that's exactly what they'll do with or without a petition... except "recently" will mean 2-4 weeks before Leopard ships, as always. Are you asking for free Leopard for people who bought them earlier than that?

I'm a PC guy who just decided to switch to Mac. However, I'm unwilling to buy a new computer with Leopard not being guaranteed part of the deal given that the announced release date is October, 2007.

Had the Apple Store been able to say I could u/g to Leopard for free if I bought a Mac that day, I'd be running the iMac now instead of this wheezy old Windows box.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dryadsdad View Post

I'm a PC guy who just decided to switch to Mac. However, I'm unwilling to buy a new computer with Leopard not being guaranteed part of the deal given that the announced release date is October, 2007.

Had the Apple Store been able to say I could u/g to Leopard for free if I bought a Mac that day, I'd be running the iMac now instead of this wheezy old Windows box.

Patience. It's coming soon.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

Patience. It's coming soon.

I never doubted it, but it'd be nice if I could know when so I can plan. I'm surprised that Apple doesn't offer the free upgrade now. It seems to me that the company is choking off its sales by the uncertainty.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Actually, the release date has not been announced. What has been announced is that October is the target release date. When the release date is actually announced, all Macs bought between that date and the date of release will get Leopard for free, if Apple follows its historic tradition.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fireball1244 View Post

Actually, the release date has not been announced. What has been announced is that October is the target release date. When the release date is actually announced, all Macs bought between that date and the date of release will get Leopard for free, if Apple follows its historic tradition.

I'm only going by what I was told at the Apple Store. I'm a PC / Windows guy new to the Mac computer. If my sales experience is standard, then the store isn't selling any machines. The salesman openly suggested that I wait until Leopard to buy the iMac.

This is somewhat of an impulse purchase for me as an upgrade to my PC. For the cost of the iMac, I can assemble an excellent PC. If I can't get some definite answers, I'll probably give the entire Mac idea up as too tenuous and just do another PC. I can't see Apple viewing that as a desirable outcome. Can you?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I'm only going by what I was told at the Apple Store. I'm a PC / Windows guy new to the Mac computer. If my sales experience is standard, then the store isn't selling any machines. The salesman openly suggested that I wait until Leopard to buy the iMac.

This is somewhat of an impulse purchase for me as an upgrade to my PC. For the cost of the iMac, I can assemble an excellent PC. If I can't get some definite answers, I'll probably give the entire Mac idea up as too tenuous and just do another PC. I can't see Apple viewing that as a desirable outcome. Can you?

I doubt they give a crap right now anyway. They are probably really busy. lol.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    HAY GUYZ!!! Farting under water produces BUBBLES! DID YA KNOW THAT!?