Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Inc. this week is believed to have wrapped up development of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard while simultaneously pushing out yet another pre-release copy of its final maintenance and security update for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

A source tells AppleInsider that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is now "finalized" to the point where Apple has begun to provide Leopard-related support training materials to its support staff.

Among these initial training materials were self-paced training modules on some of the operating system's most popular features and components, such as installation methods, Mail and BootCamp.

The last full pre-release of Leopard arrived on September 21st, when Apple provided its vast developer community with Mac OS X Leopard build 9A559 in what was then assumed to be a release candidate.

A week later the company released a small automatic software update for build 9A559 but did not increase or otherwise change the Leopard build number as it had done in previous cases. Therefore, build 9A559 is the last known candidate that could be declared Gold Master and released to manufacturing.

All signs have pointed to a public release of Leopard during the business week of Oct 22nd, with sources specifically singling out Oct 26 for the official launch.

Update: MacRumors notes that Apple may have yet to declare a build of Leopard Gold Master despite what it may be doing to prep its employees for launch. Internal builds are reportedly "still progressing" with more definitive word on a GM build expected in a few days.

Mac OS X 10.4.11

Meanwhile, AppleInsider has also heard that Apple on Tuesday pumped out two new builds of Mac OS X 10.4.11 -- widely expected to be the final update to the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

The new builds -- 8S161 (for PowerPC Macs) and 8S2161 (for Intel Macs) -- focus primarily on Dashboard, according to some of the people testing the releases. This reportedly includes a fix for the software's underlying Webkit foundation and word of two existing issues with number-oriented widgets.

Mac OS X 10.4.11 is now set to deliver over four dozen minor bug fixes and code corrections to users of Mac OS X Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    Meeeeeeow!
  • Reply 2 of 95
    Anybody remember how long it took them last year after Tiger finalized to burn and ship?

I think we should be on schedule for the Oct 29th launch as mentioned. This is exciting! I really hope they got the software update bugs fixed though...that seemed like a major issue with a quick fix.
  • Reply 3 of 95
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0710macbookrev.html

thinksecret reports macbook refresh to go with leopard!
  • Reply 4 of 95
    Well I hope they had time to squeeze in some UI polish and more consistency (either eliminate Aqua or alter it so that it fits with the platinum theme - or better yet, insert a true worthy successor to Aqua instead of the bland iTunes theme) before the software gets mass manufactured on DVD.
  • Reply 5 of 95
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Safari 3.0 will be finalized? for windows as well?
  • Reply 6 of 95
    Hopefully those who bought a Mac within 30 days of launch will get a free update... probably not though. So much for my last iphone rebate!
  • Reply 7 of 95
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0710macbookrev.html

thinksecret reports macbook refresh to go with leopard!

Seems likely to update consumer products in times for the holiday shopping season.
  • Reply 8 of 95
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Therefore, build 9A559 was the last known candidate to be declared Gold Master and released to manufacturing.

Is this known to be true? That build was "declared" to be Gold Master? Or is this an assumption? Released to manufacturing?

Would Kasper's Automated Slave please comment on this?
  • Reply 9 of 95
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ...just mind the profanities!
  • Reply 10 of 95
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Is this known to be true? That build was "declared" to be Gold Master? Or is this an assumption? Released to manufacturing?

Would Kasper's Automated Slave please comment on this?

OK -- That totally did not read the way I intended it to. I've changed the wording. No one has explicitly stated "Gold Master" yet. I was simply indicating that if there were a build to be declared Gold Master, it would have been that build. I believe, however, the source was essentially indicating this.

But if it isn't GM yet and Apple still plans on getting Leopard out when they said they would, they really don't have much time left...

Best,

K
  • Reply 11 of 95
    So, I haven't been keeping track and don't particularly feel like doing a search and wading through 10,000 hits.... were those "Top Secret" features ever found out, or was that just the RDF in action after all?
  • Reply 12 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

OK -- That totally did not read the way I intended it to. I've changed the wording. No one has explicitly stated "Gold Master" yet. I was simply indicating that if there were a build to be declared Gold Master, it would have been that build. I believe, however, the source was essentially indicating this.

But if it isn't GM yet and Apple still plans on getting Leopard out when they said they would, they really don't have much time left...

Best,

K

That makes much more sense.
  • Reply 13 of 95
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    we'll need 10.5.1 pretty fast if 9a559 is gm - not saying anything but, well we will want that very fast, kinda like same day imho.
  • Reply 14 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

So, I haven't been keeping track and don't particularly feel like doing a search and wading through 10,000 hits.... were those "Top Secret" features ever found out, or was that just the RDF in action after all?

Yes. Both!
  • Reply 15 of 95
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    coverflow in finder, "back to mac", new dock design, new finder window in general - for a few were all new added after first unveiling, but agreed that none have had the splash that was expected from the holding stuff back comment.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    what happened to the top secret features?

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 17 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Good question. They are still secret?
  • Reply 18 of 95
    I'd assume the top secret features are coming alongside the .Mac widgets.
  • Reply 19 of 95
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

coverflow in finder, "back to mac", new dock design, new finder window in general - for a few were all new added after first unveiling, but agreed that none have had the splash that was expected from the holding stuff back comment.

Mainly because of a lot of inappropriately raised expectations. Just about the only thing they were likely to withhold from developers would have been UI changes. And yet, people whipped themselves into a frenzy, imagining all sorts of amazing stuff. And when it turned out to be mainly UI changes (stacks, cover flow in the Finder, etc), people were disappointed. And Finder has been updated. That's terrific, I think. It's funny how long people have been crying out for a new Finder. Then, Apple goes and does a new Finder, and nobody gives them credit for it.

Steve's RDF is nothing compared to what happens in these kinds of forums.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Well now, let's think about this.... which is more important: Cosmetics, or functionality? You married guys out there (are there any????) need look no further than the shoes in your wife's closet (No, it's NOT your closet too. Quit kidding yourself.)