Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

what happened to the top secret features?

-=|Mgkwho

Those are reserved for Lepard Server which will probably come out a month after the client version.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guest View Post

Amazon says:

Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard by Apple

(DVD-ROM - Oct 31, 2007) (Mac OS X, Mac OS X Intel)

Buy new: $129.00

Available for Pre-order

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.

Amazon.com takes many liberties with their product listings. Apple says October release date so Amazon says the 31st. You must have missed Amazon's iLife 07 and iWork 07 release dates back in January 2007 when these items are usually released.
  • Reply 43 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Those are reserved for Lepard Server which will probably come out a month after the client version.

I wonder if Apple secretly plans to eventually usurp RiM's corporate hold by offering an unlimited license free alternative with its new Leopard OS X Server innovations? Could they--would they--make a deal with MS to allow Exchange Mail PUSHing to iPhones through a low cost Xserve while adding Pages and Numbers to the iPhone for corporate users?

Nah, I'm just dreaming. My RIMM stock is safe.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Eh.... perhaps I've not chosen a properly communicative phrasing for the idea which I was attempting to convey. Allow me to retract the aforementioned locution and instead employ, "If we dispense with the notion that a focus on aesthetics and a focus on utility are polar opposites..."

Thus, through the employment of superfluous verbosity, and the MacOS X Thesaurus, He-Man defeated Skeletor and restored the Sorceress to Castle Greyskull. And there was much rejoicing.

<rolls eyes>

Oh man! I seriously can't wait for Mac OS X 10.6 "BATTLECAT!"

the ultimate in cat code names...

"I have the power!"
  • Reply 45 of 95
    If 9A559 is to be considered GM then Apple has gone nuts and I would say to you forget 10.5 through 10.5.4, wait until at least 10.5.5, as presumably perhaps by then some sense will have been knocked into them by all those who ended up buying Leopard day one and suffering months of agony with what is sure to be quick out the door and problematic fixes!

Err...

I mean I love Leopard, buy buy buy... love Apple, love Leopard, love... peace, love, freedom, happiness, Leopard...
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Leopard 9A559 is not GM for sure, and I really think it was not a final candidate, too.

The kernel is still reported to be a beta, and I've never seen a GM nor a final candidate with the kernel version in beta status.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

what happened to the top secret features?

-=|Mgkwho

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Good question. They are still secret?

They have been revealed during this year's WWDC. I am afraid there is nothing more. Oh wait, there is, jellybeans. \
  • Reply 48 of 95
    leafyleafy Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Oh man! I seriously can't wait for Mac OS X 10.6 "BATTLECAT!"

the ultimate in cat code names...

"I have the power!"

Anyone remember "Thundercats"?
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

So, I haven't been keeping track and don't particularly feel like doing a search and wading through 10,000 hits.... were those "Top Secret" features ever found out, or was that just the RDF in action after all?

Remember all Steve originally said was, “There’s some top features to Leopard that we are going to keep close to the vest and not going to show you today. I just want you to know that they are there. We don’t want our friends to start their photocopiers any sooner than they have to, and so we are going to keep a few things secret…” Nothing else.

Since that time, a number of new, and most would consider "top," have been disclosed. I personally expect a few more new functions to be shown at the launch. Whether or not any will be deemed "top features" will be relative.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leafy View Post

Anyone remember "Thundercats"?

Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats! Hoooooo!

(snarf...Does that count?...snarf)

OS X 10.6 Thundercats:

Lion-O Edition (normal version)

Cheetara Edition (trades power for speed)

Panthro Edition (powerful but slow)

Tygra Edition (high security, hides all your sensitive data)

Wilykit/Kat Edition (with parental controls)

Jaga Edition (kills original install, but runs from a "ghost" copy)

Snarf Edition (badgers you with incessant warnings everytime it detects you might be doing something dangerous)
  • Reply 51 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Am I the only who thinks Tuesday, October 30th is better release date than Friday, October 26th?

Tiger was out on a Friday. So it's not like it's no happened before...
  • Reply 52 of 95
    I just want my new Aluminum iMac to stop randomly freezing on me.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull View Post

Tiger was out on a Friday. So it's not like it's no happened before...

Every Mac OS X release from 10.0 up to 10.4 was either on Friday evening or on Saturday morning. We will soon see if the trend still stands with Leopard.

EDIT: oops, exception is Puma (10.1), released on a Tuesday, but I am not sure if it really counts as a major update over 10.0 like the others.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Every Mac OS X release from 10.0 up to 10.4 was either on Friday evening or on Saturday morning. We will soon see if the trend still stands with Leopard.

EDIT: oops, exception is Puma (10.1), released on a Tuesday, but I am not sure if it really counts as a major update over 10.0 like the others.

It certainly was a major update. The MOST major update. Before that, the OS was really a beta. I couldn't use it for anything other than browsing without problems, and there were problems with almost everything else.

Puma was considered to be the "real" first release of the OS.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Quote:

You make a valid point but I am still going with "Apple Tuesday," October 30th. Mainly because it gives Apple 4 extra days to iron out some bugs and with all the OS X varieties they have been dealing with this year I think they will want to wait until the nearly the last moment possible like they did with the iPhone.

Not to mention that there will probably be an iTunes, iPhone, and possibly 10.4.11 update being released all around the same time. Let's not forget forget that the iPhone was supposed to be released alongside Leopard thusly making some of it's features seemingly pointless. Leopard for the Mac should resolve that and boost iPhone sales. (speculation)

Note: From Gold Master to store shelves Apple will several weeks to refine the OS even more. I wouldn't be surprised to see an immediate 10.5.0.1 update immediately after installing and connecting to the net.
  • Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:

Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats! Hoooooo!

(snarf...Does that count?...snarf)

OS X 10.6 Thundercats:

Lion-O Edition (normal version)

Cheetara Edition (trades power for speed)

Panthro Edition (powerful but slow)

Tygra Edition (high security, hides all your sensitive data)

Wilykit/Kat Edition (with parental controls)

Jaga Edition (kills original install, but runs from a "ghost" copy)

Snarf Edition (badgers you with incessant warnings everytime it detects you might be doing something dangerous)

YOu just gotta admire the thought that goes into some of these posts.

Awaiting the 'Battle Cat' 10.6 edition of Mac Os X.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 57 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It certainly was a major update. The MOST major update. Before that, the OS was really a beta. I couldn't use it for anything other than browsing without problems, and there were problems with almost everything else.

That's why I wonder how we should count them. I agree 10.0 was a really half-baked OS and 10.1 corrected the so many problems it came with. It is therefore not a major update in the sense the others were (this phenomenon never appeared again later -- a major update just six months later to make the OS actually usable), but it certainly was the most important of them from a usability point of view.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    Quote:

That's why I wonder how we should count them. I agree 10.0 was a really half-baked OS and 10.1 corrected the so many problems it came with. It is therefore not a major update in the sense the others were (this phenomenon never appeared again later), but it certainly was the most important of them from a usability point of view.

Well, now, that's semantics.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't consider OS X "real" until Jaguar came out. Only then did I feel fully comfortable leaving OS 9 behind.

The update to Puma was still very significant, however. Am I remembering correctly that Puma was a free update for anyone who had purchased 10.0? I think Apple had to graciously acknowledge that those who bought 10.0 had simply paid for the privilege of being beta testers.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I didn't consider OS X "real" until Jaguar came out. Only then did I feel fully comfortable leaving OS 9 behind.

The update to Puma was still very significant, however. Am I remembering correctly that Puma was a free update for anyone who had purchased 10.0? I think Apple had to graciously acknowledge that those who bought 10.0 had simply paid for the privilege of being beta testers.

It was. That was an aknowledgement that 10.0 was a beta after all. 10.0 should have been free, and 10.1 the first paid version.

But, I suppose Apple really did need the money back then.