Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    The nice thing is Leopard is really snappy. I am using it on my second drive in my mac pro and it flys, I wonder what they did to make leopard so fast compared. Its reliable, no problems here and I would not be surprised if it is gold already.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodrax View Post

The nice thing is Leopard is really snappy. I am using it on my second drive in my mac pro and it flys, I wonder what they did to make leopard so fast compared. Its reliable, no problems here and I would not be surprised if it is gold already.

When you rip out a lot of the cruft to support legacy and then you put in a more scalable kernel, fine grained threading system, better VM and more you'll get a much snappier system.
  • Reply 63 of 95
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

When you rip out a lot of the cruft to support legacy and then you put in a more scalable kernel, fine grained threading system, better VM and more you'll get a much snappier system.

Don't forget also that he has a Mac Pro. Even Cheetah would be happy with that.
  • Reply 64 of 95
    Quote:

What kind of legacy stuff did they pull out?
  • Reply 65 of 95
    Quote:

What kind of legacy stuff did they pull out?

Well, the minimum requirement is now a G4 800, so I would guess anything relating to older G3 and G4 hardware is now gone from the software code.

You wouldn't think its much, but, if you look at the amount of stuff XPostFacto has to install to get an older Mac working with Panther or Tiger, it could be significant.
  • Reply 66 of 95
    Well I booted back to tiger after two days of using leopard. Its definitely worth the 129 dollar upgrade. A no brainer. I hope digidesign qualifies Leopard soon after it is released.

One of the things that really impressed me about Leopard is the performance improvements and usability enhancements, once you get used to using spaces etc... its tough to go back.

Everything has a purpose for its existence. My friend who bought a precision a few weeks before my Mac Pro is starting to regret his decision. The precision with vista feels so laggy and Vistas interface is different for the sake of being different and nothing seems to really serve the purpose of improving usability, just eyecandy. He claims SP1 is supposed to make vista run faster

Apple Leopard "Teh Snappy"

Glad I switched last november after decades of PC/Windows/Dos/Linux
  • Reply 67 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Well I booted back to tiger after two days of using leopard. Its definitely worth the 129 dollar upgrade. A no brainer. I hope digidesign qualifies Leopard soon after it is released.

Why did you go back to Tiger if you found Leopard definitely worth the upgrade?
  • Reply 68 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why did you go back to Tiger if you found Leopard definitely worth the upgrade?

I do not want to update my working protools environment with a beta software, Digidesign does not qualify protools on leopard. I installed it on a second harddrive and created a parallel environment to test my apps etc.. I was really tempted to convert my primary drive but I would rather play it safe and wait to get the retail product and get digidesigns blessing
  • Reply 69 of 95
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

It's not that they ripped out legacy support protocalls, which would not do anything to slow the machine down anyway, but that the OS is more complex, and so works more slowly on older machines that don't have more modern chips, memory, video cards, etc.
  • Reply 70 of 95
    Quote:

I do not want to update my working protools environment with a beta software, Digidesign does not qualify protools on leopard. I installed it on a second harddrive and created a parallel environment to test my apps etc.. I was really tempted to convert my primary drive but I would rather play it safe and wait to get the retail product and get digidesigns blessing

I install new OS's on separate HDD's as well, for testing purposes.

Beta OS's are a bitch.
  • Reply 71 of 95
    The undoubted thing is that Halloween is the latest date for Leopard to start en masse shipping. Otherwise Mac sales for November and December will suffer. October is already slow-ish. Though of course iPhone and iPod touch is going bananas.
  • Reply 72 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I install new OS's on separate HDD's as well, for testing purposes.

Beta OS's are a bitch.

I will be "b0rging" one or two or three iMacs (refurb, awaiting re-sale) at work to begin some extensive Leopard testing.
  • Reply 73 of 95
    Quote:

...Everything has a purpose for its existence. My friend who bought a precision a few weeks before my Mac Pro is starting to regret his decision. The precision with vista feels so laggy and Vistas interface is different for the sake of being different and nothing seems to really serve the purpose of improving usability, just eyecandy. He claims SP1 is supposed to make vista run faster

Apple Leopard "Teh Snappy"

Glad I switched last november after decades of PC/Windows/Dos/Linux

Vista is nonsense, that's a well accepted fact now. It took quite a bit (well, hell of a lot of energy) but I got my gaming PC (WinXP2Pro, the only way to go slumming in PCland) back up and running, actually, it's totally new components for Core2Duo teh overclocked (see my signature)... the 8500GT is not a great graphics card but it holds its own when CPU and RAM are cruising.

Basically for me HDTV/ Wii/ iMac/ PS2/ PS3/ Xbox/ Xbox360 (hell, not touching that with a 30-foot-pole) were not viable options for me.

Sega Rally is nice Unlocked a Sonic Hedgehog paint job for one of the cars. Heh.

When not gaming I think if it is on I'll just run Folding@Home on the PC. Overclocking is sweeeeet. Hand put together, Dell and HP can go suck my ... well, you get the idea. Total cost (excluding my Sony 17" which I already own) is $735 USD.

Mac for everything, PC for overclocking, gaming, Folding@home, VNC'ing. I guess I have a soft spot for the retarded stepchild...

The PC was very difficult to set up, and I questioned many times if it was worth it. Tried to upgrade my AMD64 (well, I just cleaned the heatsink, put a new heatsink/fan in, a "crackle", some sparks, and smoke... Then it was off to buy new motherboard, CPU, etc. etc. The RAID drivers were very very buggy on the new motherboard, so shoved that aside, did normal install... A bit of tinkering and got some stability going. The CPU can probably push 2.8ghz (OC'ed from 2.0ghz) but it's better with some 800mhz++ RAM... I'll take 2.55ghz for now.

Ah well, as a male, I guess I need some sort of "project" going on-the-side. Sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my MacBook...
  • Reply 74 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Vista is nonsense, that's a well accepted fact now. It took quite a bit (well, hell of a lot of energy) but I got my gaming PC (WinXP2Pro, the only way to go slumming in PCland) back up and running, actually, it's totally new components for Core2Duo teh overclocked (see my signature)... the 8500GT is not a great graphics card but it holds its own when CPU and RAM are cruising.

Basically for me HDTV/ Wii/ iMac/ PS2/ PS3/ Xbox/ Xbox360 (hell, not touching that with a 30-foot-pole) were not viable options for me.

Sega Rally is nice Unlocked a Sonic Hedgehog paint job for one of the cars. Heh.

When not gaming I think if it is on I'll just run Folding@Home on the PC. Overclocking is sweeeeet. Hand put together, Dell and HP can go suck my ... well, you get the idea. Total cost (excluding my Sony 17" which I already own) is $735 USD.

Mac for everything, PC for overclocking, gaming, Folding@home, VNC'ing. I guess I have a soft spot for the retarded stepchild...

The PC was very difficult to set up, and I questioned many times if it was worth it. Tried to upgrade my AMD64 (well, I just cleaned the heatsink, put a new heatsink/fan in, a "crackle", some sparks, and smoke... Then it was off to buy new motherboard, CPU, etc. etc. The RAID drivers were very very buggy on the new motherboard, so shoved that aside, did normal install... A bit of tinkering and got some stability going. The CPU can probably push 2.8ghz (OC'ed from 2.0ghz) but it's better with some 800mhz++ RAM... I'll take 2.55ghz for now.

Ah well, as a male, I guess I need some sort of "project" going on-the-side. Sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my MacBook...

Yeah, how do you like that Core2Duo versus the AMD64, eh? I was thinking of building a AMD64 x2 2.2 GHZ back in the day. You could overclock those to 2.6 GHZ on air and that was impressive. All this was before Intel released the Core architecture, they were still using the Prescott architecture. Those were fun times... too bad I didn't build a PC, I ended up buying my first mac, an iMac G5.

Ah, that didn't do so well either, figured I needed to run Windows and bought a 2.33 GHZ MacBook Pro 17" and bought a 2.0 GHZ MacBook both Core2Duo.

Can't wait for Leopard and wait for 64-bit and speed improvements. I'll probably buy it the first day it comes out. Next laptop I buy will probably be when 10.6 comes out. I think i'll go with the Lion-O edition.
  • Reply 75 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You're a male? We never knew for sure.

• Reply 76 of 95
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're a male? We never knew for sure.

Ha Ha OMG Melgross uses a smiley! And a really trippy one too. Note to self: do not look at it while erm... in an "altered state".
  • Reply 77 of 95
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

Yeah, how do you like that Core2Duo versus the AMD64, eh? I was thinking of building a AMD64 x2 2.2 GHZ back in the day. You could overclock those to 2.6 GHZ on air and that was impressive...

Core2 whips ass right now. You can take a Core2Duo (Conroe) 2.66ghz and whack it up to 3.2+ghz on aftermarket air cooler. Though they say the real value is a 2.0 or 2.2 or something like that and taking it up to 3ghz. You'll need to do your research first though.

Quote:

All this was before Intel released the Core architecture, they were still using the Prescott architecture. Those were fun times... too bad I didn't build a PC, I ended up buying my first mac, an iMac G5.

Ah, that didn't do so well either, figured I needed to run Windows and bought a 2.33 GHZ MacBook Pro 17" and bought a 2.0 GHZ MacBook both Core2Duo.

I don't imagine you need a PC anymore with that!!!

Quote:

Can't wait for Leopard and wait for 64-bit and speed improvements. I'll probably buy it the first day it comes out. Next laptop I buy will probably be when 10.6 comes out. I think i'll go with the Lion-O edition.

Haha... I'm hoping 10.6 is "Lynx"...
  • Reply 78 of 95
    "Sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my MacBook..."

Hmm. All the woman you'll ever need...but a bit of gaming on teh mistress...

I see your game...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    I can't wait to see the real Leopard and dump this beta but I doubt they're ready. You can't just say "we'll release in October" and then be ready no matter what. 10.5.1 must loom already.

OTOH I'd like to see someone assemble a list of annoying bugs reported early on to Apple for Tiger - reported as early as April 2005 - that they still wouldn't have fixed with this final .11 update. It's going to be a very long list and I can't remember ever having to deal with such a situation before on any platform - not even on previous releases of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Those are reserved for Lepard Server which will probably come out a month after the client version.

What's Lepard Sever?