What's Your Ringtone?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Well, spawning this from the "Done as a Society" thread, let's hear what your ringtone is. Also, what format is it in and where did you get it?

Mine currently is a MIDI version of the intro to "Newborn" by Muse. I downloaded it from some web ringtone archive I found through Google. I've been using this as my primary ringtone for about 2 years.

I hate MP3 ringtones. The fidelity of mobile phone loudspeakers is horrible, and I just think MP3 ringtones are ultra tacky, especially since people who like this type of ringtone tend to choose urban/hip hop.

I also like simple "ring ring" type ringtones but I never really hated well-done, recognizable, catchy multitimbral midi tunes. Trouble is, "well-done" is hard to find.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    It's weird but I prefer the MIDI ringtones as well. It was sort of cool from a musician+geek perspective to see how they would render certain songs.

Last ringtone on my other phone was "I Wanna Be Your Lover" by Prince. The current phone, a Moto Razor is just one of the included ringtones.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 15
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I've made quite a few myself with "MP3 Trimmer"

Just copy pasted the ones I have used over the years

BTW, I name them with an "X" so they all appear at the bottom of the ring tone list in any phone I use them with

x AC/DC Thunderstruck

x fanfare Knives And Bullets (And Cannons Too)

x lapdance NERD

x whistle La muerte

x AmericanBeauty

x 24 Cisco Ringtone

x whistle young folks

x whistle ww2

x Nokia Lounge Version

x Rose Rouge - Saint Germain

x whistle twisted nerve

x The Godfather Theme

x minemine - Finding Nemo

x Lost_System_Failure (this WILL wake you up)

x whistle River Kwai

x Tokyo Drift (Fast & Furious)

x Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

x Jovanotti - Ombelico Del Mondo

x cancan
  • Reply 3 of 15
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I use "Bananaphone" from one of those videos. Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, bananaphone!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Currently "Tone 8." I think 3 years ago I switched from a few years of "Ring 6" when I got a new phone. It's the mid/late-noughts, though, so the "Tone 2" on text messages gets hit up a lot more frequently.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    MIDI version of the Desperate Housewives theme. On my office phone I have that Cisco ringtone that 24 made famous.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    A (quite noisy) MP3 of the Star Trek red alert sound used in DS9. Pretty cool.

At least it sounds like a RING tone.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    i got that iphone-xylophone-thing on my sony ericsson.

it's easy and calm
  • Reply 8 of 15
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    It used to be the Galaga intro... now it's the theme song to Happy Tree Friends.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    2nd movement The Evil God and the Dance of the Pagan Monsters from the Scythian Suite OP# 20 (1916) by Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    The greatest fight song in the history of fight songs, of course - The Victors.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Here's mine.

i hate ringtones
  • Reply 12 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I have an iPhone... what ringtones? \

It's not enough reason to give up everything else good about the iPhone, but I can't put the ringtones I really want on my iPhone, and I refuse to participate in the ridiculous ringtone racket.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I actually bought one from T-Mobile. It's William Shatner saying, "Yep. The phones ringing. The phone is ringing and nobody is answering the call. What a shame." Now my 6 year old mimics it when the phone goes off...which is throroughly entertaining!

I have another (currently unused) one from Shatner saying, "I'm William Shatner and I'm begging you: Pick up the phone! Pick up the phone...fool!"

I should record my son saying something funny and make that my ringtone.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Except with the iPhone, there's no official way of doing that. Period.

Yeah, that royally sucks. I'll eventually get an iPhone...when it gets a little more mature and my wallet gets fatter.

Right now my RAZR works fine for me...even though I can't see the display in direct sunlight due to the dust underneath my screen.