Study: HDTVs, Windows PCs crowd out Apple on holiday wish lists

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Considering that new cell phones made the Top 10 quite solidly, couldn't we assume that a fair-sized chunk of respondents are planning to get an iPhone but simply responded "new cell phone"??
  • Reply 22 of 58
    I'd be interested in knowing how the survey phrased the question about Windows-based desktops and laptops? How do you get a valid response to an inaccurate classification in the first place.

IT"S TIME WE STARTED REFERRING TO THOSE PCs as "WINDOWS-ONLY".

And why wouldn't an iPhone (or any of the smartphones) be considered part of the Cell Phone statistic? Seems like a questionable distinction for a consumer survey to make, no?
  • Reply 23 of 58
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    How about a little critical thinking here?

Look at the women's score. 19% plan to buy a Windows laptop (ALL brands combined) while 7% plan to buy an Apple laptop. If they follow through, that would give Apple a 26% market share among women buyers.

The number is somewhat lower for men (we can't determine how much lower because they don't give the number for Apple laptops.

Still, given Apple's current overall market share of 5-6%, a 26% share among women laptop buyers is a good sign. Amazing how these polling firms can manage to find bad news about Apple every where they look.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Yet I wonder how many of the people too young to take this survey want an iPod.....it seems that those younger-to-mid teenage years are the group that they sell the most in.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ottawamark View Post

Considering that new cell phones made the Top 10 quite solidly, couldn't we assume that a fair-sized chunk of respondents are planning to get an iPhone but simply responded "new cell phone"??

No, because a fair sized chuck of the cell phone market are not iPhones. Even more so seeing they had a catagory that included the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Apple's Holiday numbers will be outstanding. Go to ANY mall or retail area where there is an Apple Store. Check out the customer count in other stores, any other store, any time of week or day. The Apple Stores are a remarkable retail accomplishment. These places buzz with activity. While other retailers lull mid-week and mid-day, Apple fills their locations with people. Don't believe me, go to one and observe. Day in, day out.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post

Apple's Holiday numbers will be outstanding. Go to ANY mall or retail area where there is an Apple Store. Check out the customer count in other stores, any other store, any time of week or day. The Apple Stores are a remarkable retail accomplishment. These places buzz with activity. While other retailers lull mid-week and mid-day, Apple fills their locations with people. Don't believe me, go to one and observe. Day in, day out.

Having people in the store and people buying are two very different things. I have two Apple Stores in my area and most of the time you have to try and get around the teenage girls using facebook or taking pictures with the isight cams. Thats about it.

Not many walk out with high ticket items.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Having people in the store and people buying are two very different things. I have two Apple Stores in my area and most of the time you have to try and get around the teenage girls using facebook or taking pictures with the isight cams. Thats about it.

Right.....
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:

Right.....

Instead of opinion do you actually have any data to back up what you are saying?

I live in North GA we have two Apple Stores within 25 Miles of each other NorthPoint Mall and Mall of Georgia. I'm in both stores all the time and I can tell you without a doubt most that are in there are lookers not buyers.

Buyers are not 13 year old girls fixing their hair, putting on makeup to take isight pictures with their friends.

HDTV's without a doubt will be the big sellers this year as they were last year, not macbooks.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    I've got the same data as you....

And 13 year olds are Apple's market. They're buying iPods and spending money on iTunes regularly. And guess what...they grow up.

They may not walk out with 24" iMacs but more than 1/2 of the average Apple Store show floor is dedicated to iPods, iPhones and accessories.

Don't forget, Daddy has money. Christmas will account for more than 1/2 of the average retail stores total annual revenues. The traffic Apple stores generate all year translate into sales during peak times.

People use to say that all those people in Starbucks listening to music and playing with their laptops was a waste of expensive retail space. A few thousand stores later and still going.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    ^^ I don't know how it is in North GA, but you'll find visiting any flagship store (NYC, San Francisco, LA, London, Tokyo) is a *very* different story. The 5th Avenue store here in NYC is particularly insane. Not only mobbed at practically any hour - it's open 24 hrs as well - but a constant stream of buyers. Mind-boggling actually.

Anyway, I'm sure HDTVs will outsell MacBooks (computers can't compete with CE for the holiday) but no iPods at all in the list? (Let alone *any* PMP?) That just doesn't compute. Apple has a strong line-up, and you can bet Apple is going to sell 20M of 'em this holiday - possibly more.

Perhaps the problem with this survey is the gap between "want" and "get".
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

I've got the same data as you....

And 13 year olds are Apple's market. They're buying iPods and spending money on iTunes regularly. And guess what...they grow up.

They may not walk out with 24" iMacs but more than 1/2 of the average Apple Store show floor is dedicated to iPods, iPhones and accessories.

Don't forget, Daddy has money. Christmas will account for more than 1/2 of the average retail stores total annual revenues. The traffic Apple stores generate all year translate into sales during peak times.

People use to say that all those people in Starbucks listening to music and playing with their laptops was a waste of expensive retail space. A few thousand stores later and still going.

iPods didn't even make the top consumer list. By now the market is totally flooded with iPods. Sales will remain steady but peaking is rare these days. Apple Stores generate larges amounts of traffice because unlike Windows systems you can only buy Apple products in very limited places.

I will agree with you that the Apple Stores are always crowded honestly I wish the rumor a while ago was true where they were start to charge people to come in so all the lookers would get the hell out unless they were serious.

The day the new iMacs came out I walked into the store ready to buy two of then and did but it took me 20 mins to get to look at one because the wanna be Paris Hiltons of the world wouldn't get off the isight cameras.

iPods in this society cost next to nothing to waiting for a special even is rare, sales of iPods stay fairly steady all year, I don't expect iPhone sales to jump either because it requires a two year contract and alot of variables.

I think their best bet a lifting sales would be a nice upgread to Macbooks. Then I could see a push in holiday sales.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

^^ I don't know how it is in North GA, but you'll find visiting any flagship store (NYC, San Francisco, LA, London, Tokyo) is a *very* different story. The 5th Avenue store here in NYC is particularly insane. Not only mobbed at practically any hour - it's open 24 hrs as well - but a constant stream of buyers. Mind-boggling actually.

Anyway, I'm sure HDTVs will outsell MacBooks (computers can't compete with CE for the holiday) but no iPods at all in the list? (Let alone *any* PMP?) That just doesn't compute. Apple has a strong line-up, and you can bet Apple is going to sell 20M of 'em this holiday - possibly more.

Perhaps the problem with this survey is the gap between "want" and "get".

Well yeah if you put that many people on an island and put two stores there its going to be crowded. Tokyo and London, their education system is different then the US they acutally allow Laptops and technology in the schools, go figure what a concept.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

iPods didn't even make the top consumer list. By now the market is totally flooded with iPods. Sales will remain steady but peaking is rare these days. Apple Stores generate larges amounts of traffice because unlike Windows systems you can only buy Apple products in very limited places.

I will agree with you that the Apple Stores are always crowded honestly I wish the rumor a while ago was true where they were start to charge people to come in so all the lookers would get the hell out unless they were serious.

The day the new iMacs came out I walked into the store ready to buy two of then and did but it took me 20 mins to get to look at one because the wanna be Paris Hiltons of the world wouldn't get off the isight cameras.

iPods in this society cost next to nothing to waiting for a special even is rare, sales of iPods stay fairly steady all year, I don't expect iPhone sales to jump either because it requires a two year contract and alot of variables.

I think their best bet a lifting sales would be a nice upgread to Macbooks. Then I could see a push in holiday sales.

The retail strategy is working. There are plenty of drivers going into the Holiday. I think Apple is well positioned to exceed expectations for many reasons. I don't think 13 year old girls hogging the iMacs concern Steve at all. In fact, I think that's part of the strategy. The Apple store is a living, breathing, touch me/feel me advertisement. Brilliant really.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Funded by somebody these "studies" are--how else could these guys afford to do this "research"? Find out who funded this "study" and you will learn much, young Padawan. The force is strong with WinTel...
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

The retail strategy is working. There are plenty of drivers going into the Holiday. I think Apple is well positioned to exceed expectations for many reasons. I don't think 13 year old girls hogging the iMacs concern Steve at all. In fact, I think that's part of the strategy. The Apple store is a living, breathing, touch me/feel me advertisement. Brilliant really.

Thats because Steve Jobs doesn't live in a reality that the rest of us dwell in. Steve Jobs believes that everyone should live in an all Apple world it's that belief that has kept his market share at 5% or less for oh lets say 30 years. A sub 200.00 mp3 player the sole exception.

What Steve Jobs has done is created the AOL version of computing. Service upon service for all the people that don't really understand how all this stuff works. Genius Bars that you can even pay extra for to get to the front of the line. .Mac overpriced for that whole 10gig of space.

Products and sofware that only work with other Apple products and software.

What Steve does have going for him are people that continue to buy his products based on a cult following. Its always been this way with Apple and always will be until he steps down.

You will never see Apple own 5-6% of the market until he moves on. You can't dispute that because decades of history have already proven this fact. Even with intel spikes they have not been able to break that barrier. Right now is about as good as Apple has ever had it and they are still 5% of the market.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spaceage View Post

Funded by somebody these "studies" are--how else could these guys afford to do this "research"? Find out who funded this "study" and you will learn much, young Padawan. The force is strong with WinTel...

^^^^^ nerd ^^^^^
  • Reply 38 of 58
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slogan621 View Post

AppleTV is a paradigm shift that isn't going to sell itself easily. People need to be urged to make the change. So, if I were Apple, I would use the high results for HDTV as a lever to getting more people to adopt AppleTV, by partnering with manufacturers to offer some kind of rebate or coupon if an AppleTV is bought within 30 days of the purchase of the HDTV.

Good point. Especially as things to plug into the HDTV seem to be way down the list. Is HD DTT that widespread in the US?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Interesting, but not surprising. I can't tell you how many bars I've gone into that have a dozen HD TVs hanging up all over the place, but have them showing SD channels, making everything stretched out. And you know they're completely oblivious to the fact that it's set up wrong.

I'm guessing many people have done this at home, too.

I get quite oblivious to stuff when I'm in a bar too. Maybe more research...
  • Reply 40 of 58
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Quote:

Thats because Steve Jobs doesn't live in a reality that the rest of us dwell in. Steve Jobs believes that everyone should live in an all Apple world it's that belief that has kept his market share at 5% or less for oh lets say 30 years. A sub 200.00 mp3 player the sole exception.

What Steve Jobs has done is created the AOL version of computing. Service upon service for all the people that don't really understand how all this stuff works. Genius Bars that you can even pay extra for to get to the front of the line. .Mac overpriced for that whole 10gig of space.

Products and sofware that only work with other Apple products and software.

What Steve does have going for him are people that continue to buy his products based on a cult following. Its always been this way with Apple and always will be until he steps down.

You will never see Apple own 5-6% of the market until he moves on. You can't dispute that because decades of history have already proven this fact. Even with intel spikes they have not been able to break that barrier. Right now is about as good as Apple has ever had it and they are still 5% of the market.

Perhaps all the teenage girls using the macs is what is contributing to the macbook showing up on the women's list? Nah...

I regularly see folks walk out with a big black box from our Apple store when I'm at the mall. It sure as heck is enough to make that store a good economic value for Apple in addition to being a good place to see Apple products.

And mine is in a surburban mall...not an island.

In any case, instead of opinion do you actually have any data to back up what you are saying?

Because the figures released by Apple say $89M profit in Q1 2007 and $90M in Q1 2006. I'm going to guess that for Q1 2008 its in that same ballpark...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...arter_yet.html

Consider your assertions disputed. Teenage girls don't care what an old guy in a mock turtleneck thinks and IMHO is immune to Jobsian RDF.