Sources: Leopard finalized, 10.4.11 inching closer

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

What's Lepard Sever?

That's when PC users try Leopard, and sever themselves from Windows.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's not that they ripped out legacy support protocalls, which would not do anything to slow the machine down anyway, but that the OS is more complex, and so works more slowly on older machines that don't have more modern chips, memory, video cards, etc.

You're talking to someone who worked there. Put a damn G5 running Tiger and one that runs Leopard.

Run optimized code and you'll notice a completely different result.

The amount of code added to OS X pre-Leopard to piggy back legacy software is staggering and really put a heavy burden on the Mach Kernel.

They addressed this with the XNU Kernel which is a kludge of Micro and Mono kernel designs.

Removal of many design patterns to keep two completely different messaging systems working together made for many redundant calls and thus slowed down the system.

I'm not even going to detail the fact that the threading model in Leopard is orders of magnitude more refined and scalable than prior system releases of OS X.

Once GM is out and people have a chance to see crap not running in debug mode you'll see the benefits of all these changes.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairly View Post

I can't wait to see the real Leopard and dump this beta but I doubt they're ready. You can't just say "we'll release in October" and then be ready no matter what. 10.5.1 must loom already.

OTOH I'd like to see someone assemble a list of annoying bugs reported early on to Apple for Tiger - reported as early as April 2005 - that they still wouldn't have fixed with this final .11 update. It's going to be a very long list and I can't remember ever having to deal with such a situation before on any platform - not even on previous releases of Mac OS X.

Code trees inside Apple aren't the same revision you see being released to Select/Premier clients.

The amount of Bugs in the Linux Kernel, Gnome, KDE, etc., are constantly a moving target.

Unless we live in a small box the number will always expand as the complexity expands.
  • Reply 84 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're talking to someone who worked there. Put a damn G5 running Tiger and one that runs Leopard.

The amount of code added to OS X pre-Leopard to piggy back legacy software is staggering and really put a heavy burden on the Mach Kernel.

They addressed this with the XNU Kernel which is a kludge of Micro and Mono kernel designs.

Removal of many design patterns to keep two completely different messaging systems working together made for many redundant calls and thus slowed down the system.

I'm not even going to detail the fact that the threading model in Leopard is orders of magnitude more refined and scalable than prior system releases of OS X.

Once GM is out and people have a chance to see crap not running in debug mode you'll see the benefits of all these changes.

None of this has anything to do with upping the requirements from 800 MHz to 866 MHz. It's just speed, nothing else.
  • Reply 85 of 95
    I upgraded my work mac pro to Leopard since protools is not on that one. And I have been using spaces on it all day. Just the spaces feature makes it worth the 129 bucks. Shit if a third party company released something as good as spaces for 129 bucks I would have ponied up the cash.

Being able to organize your work by workflow in individual spaces is such a productivity boost in itself, And control arrow is the perfect key combo for it

I have dual 23inch cinemas and had 8 virtual desktops going (4 spaces x 2 displays) And when you put your windows in the order you want, you can use muscle memory to go through your work and switch accordingly. etc..

On that box I was using up 5 gigs of ram, lots of stuff going on an that is where the speed difference shows up even more than ever.

I cannot wait till its officially available for order
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It would be real interesting after leopard is released if someone comes up with an article explaning all the changes etc.. that went on underneath the hood that has made such a tremendous difference over tiger when it comes to performance.
  • Reply 87 of 95
    Having talked to Apple Dealer in my city (canada), your assumption is correct, Oct.26 most likely launch date.

Not sure though if Apple will post rebates if any Desktop or Notebooks purchased with Tiger and ilife06???

zimer

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. this week is believed to have wrapped up development of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard while simultaneously pushing out yet another pre-release copy of its final maintenance and security update for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

A source tells AppleInsider that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is now "finalized" to the point where Apple has begun to provide Leopard-related support training materials to its support staff.

Among these initial training materials were self-paced training modules on some of the operating system's most popular features and components, such as installation methods, Mail and BootCamp.

The last full pre-release of Leopard arrived on September 21st, when Apple provided its vast developer community with Mac OS X Leopard build 9A559 in what was then assumed to be a release candidate.

A week later the company released a small automatic software update for build 9A559 but did not increase or otherwise change the Leopard build number as it had done in previous cases. Therefore, build 9A559 is the last known candidate that could be declared Gold Master and released to manufacturing.

All signs have pointed to a public release of Leopard during the business week of Oct 22nd, with sources specifically singling out Oct 26 for the official launch.

Update: MacRumors notes that Apple may have yet to declare a build of Leopard Gold Master despite what it may be doing to prep its employees for launch. Internal builds are reportedly "still progressing" with more definitive word on a GM build expected in a few days.

Mac OS X 10.4.11

Meanwhile, AppleInsider has also heard that Apple on Tuesday pumped out two new builds of Mac OS X 10.4.11 -- widely expected to be the final update to the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

The new builds -- 8S161 (for PowerPC Macs) and 8S2161 (for Intel Macs) -- focus primarily on Dashboard, according to some of the people testing the releases. This reportedly includes a fix for the software's underlying Webkit foundation and word of two existing issues with number-oriented widgets.

Mac OS X 10.4.11 is now set to deliver over four dozen minor bug fixes and code corrections to users of Mac OS X Tiger.

• Reply 88 of 95
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Has anyone got any ideas when we might see 10.4.11 come out

I would like to test it prior to updating several macs that will not be able to run leopard.
  • Reply 89 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

I would like to test it prior to updating several macs that will not be able to run leopard.

October 26 so it can brick your Mac and force you to buy Leopard.

Seriously, based on what I've read it will be released sometime this month. But who knows.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Why do people ask this?

Why would any of us have that kind of insider information?
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Anyone know if it is/will be possible to update leopard builds? Im on 9A528, is a reinstall necessary to update to 9A559 or even the final version when it comes out?
  • Reply 92 of 95
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

what happened to the top secret features?

-=|Mgkwho

Well, the 'top secret features' have been announced already (the last developer conference) - at the end of the day I think people were expecting HUGE and MASSIVE changes.

Atleast Apple has provided features vs. the 'Ultimate Extras' which seem to have gone AWOL.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipowerbookg4 View Post

Anyone know if it is/will be possible to update leopard builds? Im on 9A528, is a reinstall necessary to update to 9A559 or even the final version when it comes out?

Who are you? You don't sound like a developer. If you're not, you really shouldn't be running the betas.

Just buy the retail version, and do a clean install.
  • Reply 94 of 95
    Is 9A581 the GM?
  • Reply 95 of 95
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marbles View Post

Is 9A581 the GM?

From everything I have read it looks as 9A581 is the GM build but once Firday comes I will know for sure and certain.