Apple expands Leopard training to all of AppleCare

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Pressing ahead with plans to release its long-awaited Leopard operating system by the end of the month, Mac maker Apple Inc. on Thursday expanded training of its technical support representatives to include all tiers both Stateside and abroad.

As of the early afternoon hours, AppleCare technical support staff across the globe were instructed to follow prescribed training modules on several of Leopard's most essential components, according to people familiar with the matter.

These now include Tier 1 AppleCare technicians in addition to the Tier 2 technicians that were offered a head start via self-paced training modules earlier in the week.

Thus far, Apple has supplied the support reps with four initial training modules covering installation, Mail.app, Parental Controls and Boot Camp. The Cupertino-based company plans to rapidly expand its Leopard training to cover several other system components in the coming days.

Apple's internal plans continue to call for an official launch of Leopard at 6:00 p.m. on Friday Oct 26th. In recent days, the company has become more vocal in conveying this message to its top-tier partners without explicitly stating the date outright incase it is unable to meet that deadline.

For instance, Apple has essentially told some partners that the software is still "expected to ship in October" and that the company likes to ship its major operating system releases "on a Friday" and hinted to later rather than sooner.

Still, recent evidence suggested the software was still under active internal development as of Wednesday due to a handful of bugs Apple hoped to fix last minute.

Leopard will retail for $129 for the single license edition and $199 for the 5-seat family edition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    by 2 or 3 weeks to tell the truth. 11 major bugs to be fixed. They'll do an iPhone release, short on features, but release the other stuff in point 1 release a few weeks later.

From this activity, its obviously close to release. Then I expect to see some "surprises" in relation to the iPhone and Leopard. New Mac products as well.

Pete
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Hah? WTF I need to go check with my technician co-worker on how to look at this juicy stuff. It may not be on the Sales Training side...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Still, recent evidence suggestted the software was still under active internal development as of Wednesday due to a handful of bugs Apple hoped to fix last minute.

This weekend it will go GM or November will be the release month. They could do a Microsoft and preinstall OSX on new Macs before shipping to retail, thus making the October release deadline.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Hmm...the more reports like this I hear, the less confident I am that Leopard truly did go Gold Master...this stuff should have happened a while ago, considering they are being trained on features of Leopard irregardless of Leopard's actual build status.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    1. "Suggested" has one 't'.

2. A "handful of bugs"? You really believe your own dog food, do you?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    What's with the "not next friday" jabber? ..."I'm thinking of a friday after Friday the 12th and Friday the 19th, but still within October."

they must really be cutting it close - possibly only two weeks 'til launch, and they don't have a date pinned down yet? i guess they enjoy the excitement of it all. either that, or there's a decent chance at a delay, but they don't want to announce it unless it's 100% certain.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    I've got a question. If they do ship Leopard on Octo 26th, will it be only in US or also in Europe?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

they must really be cutting it close - possibly only two weeks 'til launch, and they don't have a date pinned down yet? i guess they enjoy the excitement of it all. either that, or there's a decent chance at a delay, but they don't want to announce it unless it's 100% certain.

Both Panther and Tiger were announced two weeks ahead with the 10.2.8 and 10.3.9 being released a few days either side of that announcement date.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

I've got a question. If they do ship Leopard on Octo 26th, will it be only in US or also in Europe?

I think it's safe to assume a world-wide release.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm calling a November 9th release date, which is four weeks from today. Whereas October 26th is just two week away.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

US and Europe but not UK ...

Just kidding