MacBook Pinch - Touchpad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it common knowledge that the pinch/expand iPhone style functionality works on new MacBooks? I'm using my MacBook Pro right now on the Google Maps website, and if I pinch or expand in the iPhone way, it zooms in and out as it does on the phone. I don't think I've read about that anywhere...

Nifty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malokata View Post

Is it common knowledge that the pinch/expand iPhone style functionality works on new MacBooks? I'm using my MacBook Pro right now on the Google Maps website, and if I pinch or expand in the iPhone way, it zooms in and out as it does on the phone. I don't think I've read about that anywhere...

Nifty.

Do you mean the current crop, or the model that is still in the pipeline ?

Aquafire
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post

Do you mean the current crop, or the model that is still in the pipeline ?

Aquafire

He's talking about the MBP that he's currently using. I don't have one here to test this on.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

He's talking about the MBP that he's currently using.

OK.

Quote:

I don't have one here to test this on.

Nor do I AP,

If only I had enough money.....

That aside, I have put the terms 'touchscreen' and 'Macbook pro' into Google, and come up with zero other than outside of Apple hacks and articles on the yet to be seen, next generation.... aka the 12 Inch Reborn Newtonesque unit.

Aquafire.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post

OK.

Nor do I AP,

If only I had enough money.....

That aside, I have put the terms 'touchscreen' and 'Macbook pro' into Google, and come up with zero other than outside of Apple hacks and articles on the yet to be seen, next generation.... aka the 12 Inch Reborn Newtonesque unit.

Aquafire.

He's talking about pinching on the touchpad, not the screen.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Ah AP...stop it....my brain seriously hurts...now....

Aquafire
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

I don't have one, but wasn't part of the MBP the ability to perform a two-finger tap?... maybe I'm wrong....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Yup, new but current model MBP. Pinch in zooms in, pinch out zooms out. It's not the two-finger simultaneous scroll -- it's the exact same functionality as the pinching on the iPhone. It only seems to work on Google Maps, when the cursor is over the map itself.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Of course, the pinch/expand thing may simply be registering as the "scroll" command.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malokata View Post

Of course, the pinch/expand thing may simply be registering as the "scroll" command.

Correct. It's simply registered as scrolling up or down, which in Google Maps zooms in or out. Pinching is not implemented on the MB/MBP trackpad.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Regardless of what is actually registering, it does work - neat!

I just tried it.