online "dating"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Brian Dorsey wondered if complete strangers would have lunch together. So he started a grand social experiment...

Quote:

in Seattle with Noonhat.com.

At Noonhat, you plug in your e-mail address, what day you'd like to have lunch and what general area, then a computer program matches you with one to three other random human beings who want to lunch.

At first, Dorsey, a software developer at Vulcan, had doubts. When he told people about the Web site, he said, "I got a lot of blank stares. 'What? Huh? Why would anyone do that?' "

Turns out people do want to break bread with total strangers. Since Noonhat was launched in June, more than 400 lunches have been scheduled (although Dorsey doesn't know how many have actually happened).

So the site may be a sort of anti-freeze -- a sentinel in the battle against the so-called Seattle freeze, that is, our tendency to be polite but not gushy warm to those we've just met.

"I was just kind of thinking that I wanted to have lunch with new people all the time," said Dorsey, who is 33. "Just from a selfish standpoint, I wanted to have lunch with a really wide variety of people."

Noonhat offers its service all over North America, but most of the users so far are in the Seattle metro area. Dorsey also thinks the site is a good way for out-of-town visitors to meet up with locals.

I haven't tried this myself, but wait and see...it may be the next big thing. ...and it's free...
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Nice tonton!

Don't screw this one up.

(Knocks on wood...)

P.S. Good job on the call a week after you got her phone number. That takes you out of creep status and makes her believe you have actually have a life...
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I saw the premier of pickup artist on VH1 on a flight...it was hilarious but never bothered to tune in.

Although the geek on that show is a bit of a slime, it worked for one of my relatives. He's now engaged to the woman he met.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ok. I'll fess up. I've had sex with four women I met on AFF. Another four or five wanted sex with me but I wasn't interested or I didn't have time. There are another five I could chase if I wanted (and if I wasn't already in a great relationship). Another five or so have become good friends, and we chat frequently on MSN. I'm not the most handsome guy in the world, or even in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong I'm on the bottom of the food chain in terms of financial position. But I still manage success in these sites, with very sincere, sweet, relatively attractive women.

I'd be very concerned about catching a communicable disease from one of these women. When's the last time you had an AIDS test?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    STD's are a myth.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

STD's are a myth.

Not unless you use a condom on your dildo...

• Reply 27 of 31
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I realize i'm a little late in replying to this, but...

I met the woman who has come to be my wife on match.com. I wasn't even seeking her out as a date. I messaged her about some bands she'd listed as favorites of hers, and offered some suggestions for others she may enjoy. She asked me out on our first date, we dated for 5 years, and got married in May.

So I guess we count as one humble success story.