Is "Revolutionary" good?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think its a doom word of sorts.

NOTHING can live up to the word "revolutionary".

I hope Apple does not tout this in their website countdowns.

Its just kind of bad luck to me.

Now "Insanely Great (tm)"....

Thats cool!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Actually, the original Lisa OS and Mac OS were revolutionary in the fact that they changed the entire computer industry. Yes, Xerox technically had the GUI first, but Apple took it mainstream thus "revolutionizing" the industry. See definition number three:

from m-w.com:

[quote]Main Entry: rev·o·lu·tion·ize

Pronunciation: -sh&-"nIz

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): -ized; -iz·ing

Date: 1797

transitive senses

1 : to overthrow the established government of

2 : to imbue with revolutionary doctrines

3 : to change fundamentally or completely

intransitive senses : to engage in revolution

- rev·o·lu·tion·iz·er noun <hr></blockquote>

I don't think Apple can do anything today as grande as what they did in the early 80's.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    But Starfleet, things that are revolutionary are rarely seen as such at the time of their inception. When the internet was first established, nobody thought it was going to be revolutionary. It was just a way for the military to communicate in the case of a nuclear attack. When the first Mac came out, most people thought it was more of a toy than a computer, and scoffed at it's lack of a CLI. Little did those DOS users know that 15 years later they would be using a cheap rip-off of the Mac OS on their DOS PCs. And when US constitution was written, it was believed to be revolutionary, but it would be over 100 years before the paradigm of the US being run by a class of white males who's wealth was derived from hereditary property ownership, and who owned droves of slaves for manual labor and servitude, was challenged and overthrown, so that the intent of the original constitution could be realized.

What I'm saying is that calling something revolutionary is a marketing ploy. For something to actually BE revolutionary is altogether different.

Also, Apple's "revolutions" have usually been with software, never with hardware. The Newton is the only example of hardware I can think of that is revolutionary in any sense.

So if a 1.6 GHz Powermac G5 is announced, and in bake-offs it can actually beat a Pentium 4 at non-altivec tasks, then this will be a day in the history of the mac to mark on your calendar. It would be the first time I'm aware of that a Mac has EVER been faster than a PC, for real, not in some rigged Photoshop bake off using a handful of carefully preselected filters that are rarely used in daily work.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Ah, JD, but I agree with you! Revolutionary things/ideas are indeed rarely truely so when they first arrive. Like I said before, I can't see Apple really bringing out anything as "revolutionary" as people claim. It's a merketing gimick plain and simple. Is something like the iPod revolutionary? Hell no! It's an improvement on an existing product. The iMac? Nope. G5's are no such "revolutionary" product either; they are improved processors that we've been (painfully) waiting for and expecting.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>