How do you change the volume of 1 song when it's much louder than other songs?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've got one song that has a higher volume than most other songs. This is a problem because the other day I was almost asleep listening to relaxing music on my iPod until it got to that song. The song is some much louder that it scared the crap out of me.

So is there a way to manually adjust the volume?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Right or option click on the song. From the resulting pane, pick the "Options" tab. There is a volume slider there.

Also, you can tick the "Sound Check" box in general preferences under playback, which is supposed to make everything playback at roughly the same volume, but it works by analyzing the loudest point in any given song so the results are spotty, IME.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right or option click on the song. From the resulting pane, pick the "Options" tab. There is a volume slider there.

Ok, I right (and option) clicked the song but didn't see the sound check option. I get a bunch of other options like Rating, Get info, Convert to ringtone, etc..

Is this supposed to be done in the iTunes window? I tried it on the actual song file and no luck there either.

BTW, thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. It was where you said but I had to click on the get info option first.

Thanks again for your help!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Ok, I right (and option) clicked the song but didn't see the sound check option. I get a bunch of other options like Rating, Get info, Convert to ringtone, etc..

Is this supposed to be done in the iTunes window? I tried it on the actual song file and no luck there either.

BTW, thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. It was where you said but I had to click on the get info option first.

Thanks again for your help!

Oops, right, I meant Option-I for info. Glad you sorted it out.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so does this also affect the playback in an ipod??? i would like them all to play at the same volume level, and not constantly change volume, or is there an "import" setting ?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

so does this also affect the playback in an ipod??? i would like them all to play at the same volume level, and not constantly change volume, or is there an "import" setting ?

For the one song that I had that was too loud, I set the volume level to normal (it was a +100% for some reason) and now that song plays at a level comparable to the other songs I have in my iPod and on the computer.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

For the one song that I had that was too loud, I set the volume level to normal (it was a +100% for some reason) and now that song plays at a level comparable to the other songs I have in my iPod and on the computer.

Mark,

You may also try iVolume from VersionTracker which adjusts the volume of 1 or any large playlist automatically and quickly that you have on iTunes which in turn would be transfered over to your iPod. This program doesn't work with AAC protected iTunes songs though but any other format it will, for example, MP3s from CDs. I have used this program and it seems to work fine but there were a few songs with "No Tags". For those I ran them through Amadeus audio program and converted them over to MP3s where iVolume could work with them. For Apple AAC protected songs, the only way I know of is exactly what you did.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IdigIt View Post

Mark,

You may also try iVolume from VersionTracker which adjusts the volume of 1 or any large playlist automatically and quickly that you have on iTunes which in turn would be transfered over to your iPod. This program doesn't work with AAC protected iTunes songs though but any other format it will, for example, MP3s from CDs. I have used this program and it seems to work fine but there were a few songs with "No Tags". For those I ran them through Amadeus audio program and converted them over to MP3s where iVolume could work with them. For Apple AAC protected songs, the only way I know of is exactly what you did.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

On a related note, I wish there was an equalizer app for iTunes where I could adjust ALL of the equalizer settings to my preferences for each song and then have these settings permanent so that they transfer and play in my iPod.

Alternatively, I wish my iPod had an equalizer where you can adjust every slider to your own preference. I don't like those preset equalizer settings...