Leopard launch info imminent; Nokia downgraded on iPhone worries

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple is just about ready to spread the buzz about Leopard. Meanwhile, Nokia has been dealt a serious blow at the hands of Apple and others, according to a new wealth management report out of UBS.

Leopard Roars

Apple as early as Tuesday is expected to make a Leopard-related announcement to both customers and members of the media, AppleInsider has learned.

After cutting it close near the tail-end of the software's development cycle, the stars appear to have finally fallen into alignment after a Gold Master candidate build surfaced internally this past weekend.

Obviously, an impending announcement would concern availability, as much else about Leopard has been out in the open for quite some time. AppleInsider had previously pinned Leopard's launch for 6:00 p.m. on Friday Oct. 26 -- a date and time which several publications, including our friends at ifoAppleStore, now appear to be confirming.

Nokia stock downgraded thanks to iPhone

Nokia's position in the market is overrated due in part to the iPhone, according to a new research note from UBS wealth management analyst Cesare Valeggia that recommended investors sell shares in the Finnish handset maker.

While the investment firm has previously advised buying Nokia stock, the climate of the market has changed, Valeggia said. With Apple entering the business and HP also making its return, the cellphone veteran would have to invest more money in research to keep up with or outperform its rivals.

Nokia would also have to reduce profit margins to make its 3G phones and smartphones more competitive and increase its marketshare in step with expectations, according to the report. Previous claims would have had the company's phone shipments climb by double-digit figures, which was "unrealistic" given the maturity of the cellphone market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I want Leopard really badly but I haven't upgraded to FCP6 yet, I'm still using 5.1 and I don't know if that will cause any problems. Is there anywhere to find that stuff out?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I want Leopard really badly but I haven't upgraded to FCP6 yet, I'm still using 5.1 and I don't know if that will cause any problems. Is there anywhere to find that stuff out?

I really don't see how that could cause any problems at all, I'm sure there are thousands of people in your position.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After cutting it close near the tail-end of the software's development cycle...

Very clever.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ok, so Leopard's coming out and I don't want to use Leopard until 2008, yet I want a new Mac. Looks like I may have to use it regardless. If I buy a new 24" iMac now, I just know it wont arrive without Leopard pre-installed, they'll delay it for a week or two, they are just that predictable.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    According to all the Mac forums, blogs, web sites, et al, the iPhone is an unmitigated disaster that works for no one, satisfies no one, can't do anything right, turns into a brick. Apple is being sued on a daily basis for billions of dollars. If that's correct then nobody is buying them so how does that hurt Nokia? Please, somebody, explain this to me. I must be misinterpreting all the negative comments, sites, blogs, rants, lawsuits or something. Help!
  • Reply 6 of 40
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Build 9A581 (or whatever ends up being the GM) had better be some major update. 9A559, the last known update, still had major stability issue when running Aperture, iMovie '07 (7.1), Photoshop CS3, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    A question for you apple veterans:

I'm new to mac, I have delayed getting a macbook pro until Leopard's release because I don't want to fork over the $130 for the upgrade. There is an apple store just a couple miles from me, and I'd like to buy my mbp there (as opposed to store.apple.com). According to history, when will Leopard be *installed* and ready to be bought on new macs in stores?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    I can say I knew (that is, had that feeling) that as soon as they took that Al Gore crap down today that something was going to hit tomorrow. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ok, so Leopard's coming out and I don't want to use Leopard until 2008, yet I want a new Mac. Looks like I may have to use it regardless. If I buy a new 24" iMac now, I just know it wont arrive without Leopard pre-installed, they'll delay it for a week or two, they are just that predictable.

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? You could call and reserve your new iMac the day before Leopard is launched, mosey on into the Apple Store to pick up your iMac the next day, and you will most likely find a Leopard Install disk inside that you can wait until 2008 to install once all the updates are out for which you are presumably waiting.

Apple Store employees use the day before a new OS is to launch to slip upgrade disks into the boxes of all current inventory. This way you could have your cake AND eat it in 2008 like you want (although I don't think I could wait that long for a juicy dessert like Leopard.

Eh?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamilio View Post

A question for you apple veterans:

I'm new to mac, I have delayed getting a macbook pro until Leopard's release because I don't want to fork over the $130 for the upgrade. There is an apple store just a couple miles from me, and I'd like to buy my mbp there (as opposed to store.apple.com). According to history, when will Leopard be *installed* and ready to be bought on new macs in stores?

See my reply to Ireland (Post #10). Happy Shopping!
  • Reply 11 of 40
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Stop pussy-footing around and just use Leopard if it comes installed when you buy, and if not, purchase the update when you feel the need to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

According to all the Mac forums, blogs, web sites, et al, the iPhone is an unmitigated disaster that works for no one, satisfies no one, can't do anything right, turns into a brick. Apple is being sued on a daily basis for billions of dollars. If that's correct then nobody is buying them so how does that hurt Nokia? Please, somebody, explain this to me. I must be misinterpreting all the negative comments, sites, blogs, rants, lawsuits or something. Help!

Speaking of a rant..., ahem. Even if hundreds of people are complaining, so what. If people can't understand how to use a device as it's intended then they should have been swallowed at conception. BTW, out of all the people I know with an iPhone, all are throughly impressed; plus when my contract is up I will be switching providers solely to own an iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just ignore these messages, like 95% of iPhone buyers do.

Only a small % of actual users have problems, but they are also the loudest ones.

I have 2 iPhones, know roughly 10 other people with iPhones, none of them have any problems whatsoever.

If you would base the quality of a product based on forums/blogs, you wouldn't buy any product. Ever checked car forums?

And the Lawsuites? ... laughable.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

I can say I knew (that is, had that feeling) that as soon as they took that Al Gore crap down today that something was going to hit tomorrow. We'll just have to wait and see.

I liked the 'Al Gore crap' personally... the guy won the Nobel Peace Prize and is on the Apple board of directors, for frigg's sake.

Yeah, the Rush and O'Reilly crowd probably didn't like it, but so what? Jobs' political leanings are pretty well-known. If it hasn't bothered them to this point, it shouldn't be bunching up their panties now.

In any case, on to Leopard (which I can't run on my iBook G4 800MHz)...

• Reply 14 of 40
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

"Al Gore crap"?

Man you guys are petty.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Hey, don't denegrate AlGore! After all he and Yasser Arafat are both recipients of the vaunt NPP! (As were the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs and the President of South Africa, Fredrik Willem De Klerk.) Fine folks and causes all!
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Yeah. That page made me sick. Apple promoting that pompous ass. Even if he is on the Apple board. ( Anti- liberal rant deleted)

John
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbaugh View Post

Yeah. That page made me sick. Apple promoting that pompous ass. Even if he is on the Apple board. ( Anti- liberal rant deleted)

John

Get used to it, 'cuz Gore isn't going away anytime soon. And if you hate Gore, then you hate Jobs too, 'cuz he believes pretty much the same things.

In fact, you might as well hate Apple too... I live only two towns over from Cupertino, and employees there that I've known confirm that it's a pretty liberal-leaning place, as corporations go.

Face it.... we... are... everywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

• Reply 18 of 40
  • Reply 19 of 40

And yes, I'll stop helping the right-wing crybabies be off-topic... I mean, they're gonna be despondent soon anyway, what with Hillary becoming President...

• Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Buy it at an Apple Store after Leopard is officially announced but before Leopard is shipping. You'll get Tiger installed on your Mac, and you'll get to purchase Leopard for around ten bucks. Then it's up to you when you want to actually install it.