Leopard declared GM; Apple Stores offline ahead of official word

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week finally declared a build of Leopard Gold Master. Meanwhile, the company's online stores dropped offline early Tuesday morning ahead of expected announcements regarding the next-gen OS.

Leopard declared GM

Speaking to AppleInsider, a source familiar with the development of Leopard said the code to the software is now frozen with a Gold Master build having been declared earlier this week.

That build is said to be Mac OS X Leopard build 9A581 -- the previously reported GM candidate build released internally at Apple over the weekend. The code will now be released to manufacturing where it will be duplicated onto optical media and stuffed inside retail packaging.

Apple Stores offline

Meanwhile, Apple's online stores in various regions have dropped offline ahead of Leopard-related announcements expected as early as 8:30 a.m. today. As was reported on Monday, those announcements are likely provide official confirmation of Leopard's launch date and time, which have been reported to be Friday Oct. 26 at 6:00 p.m.

Apple's retail stores are expected to close several hours ahead of launch on the 26th and then re-open at 6:00 p.m. with Leopard in hand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    imavimav Posts: 15member
    Would they really have the Apple store down for this long just to announce a shipping date? Or do people think that Leopard will actually be shipping immediately?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMav View Post

Would they really have the Apple store down for this long just to announce a shipping date? Or do people think that Leopard will actually be shipping immediately?

Pre-order?

K
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Excellent.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Don't ask me what the heck their doing, but their online stores have been down worldwide for over 40 minutes now. Do they not plan these things before they go do them?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Does this story violate board rules since it's about the store being down?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Up in the US. Leopard on Oct 26
  • Reply 7 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Store online again.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Up here too in AU.

Time to pre-order...
  • Reply 9 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My Leopard family pack is ordered. Delivery with free shipping is October 26th
  • Reply 10 of 24
  • Reply 11 of 24
    UK Store is up - Leopard Family Pack and Wireless Keyboard ordered.

What? Who's a junkie? :-)

Martin.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My Leopard family pack is ordered. Delivery with free shipping is October 26th

ditto
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hypothetically speaking, if i buy the family pack for my macbook and mac pro - could i give away the other three licenses to friends?
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icedtea1996 View Post

hypothetically speaking, if i buy the family pack for my macbook and mac pro - could i give away the other three licenses to friends?

I think it's only one set of disks though.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    mmmmmm Posts: 1member
    @icedtea

yes, hypothetically you can. apple leaves it up to the conscience of the user. osx leopard is worth buying though.

Quote:

• Reply 16 of 24
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Lock and load.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure those licenses are only valid for computers within the same household.

So if your family members aren't living in the same house, the license you give to them is not valid. I could be wrong but I remember wanting to do just that with Tiger and was told it was not possible...I never double-checked because it seemed so logical. If it's true, then for sure you can't give licenses to your friends.

I still think Leopard was released too early...the last seeded build to developer was *not* ready, not by a long shot according to anyone who has done even a shred of testing. Will 21 builds in between make the difference? I hope so but I really doubt it.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    well ok, my brothers who live all across the country, not friends. family pack, right?

does anyone know if there is some sort of IP detection or whatever - maybe you have to all connect each other through ethernet or something for validation?

hard to believe, because surely the package is also for people who use their mac pro at work and their imac at home.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure those licenses are only valid for computers within the same household.

So if your family members aren't living in the same house, the license you give to them is not valid. I could be wrong but I remember wanting to do just that with Tiger and was told it was not possible...I never double-checked because it seemed so logical. If it's true, then for sure you can't give licenses to your friends.

I still think Leopard was released too early...the last seeded build to developer was *not* ready, not by a long shot according to anyone who has done even a shred of testing. Will 21 builds in between make the difference? I hope so but I really doubt it.

The only thing you can do is load it on a college student's computer who does not live at the same residence (dorm or off campus apartment for example), but they must be a member of the immediate family.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    well just because my bro doesnt go to uni as of this month and isnt at the family home that often, it doesnt exclude him from entering the family pack in my book.

on panther it didnt seem to be a problem:

http://www.chaosmint.com/macintosh/a...icensing.shtml

what about leopard, does anybody know? we all know those "lets be nicer than microsoft" rules arent as valid anymore lately.