Pisser ? Creative Suite 3 K-12 School Site Licensing: Windows Only?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For those Appleinsider readers who work, as I do, at least part of their time in an educational setting, you may already know that Adobe apparently has restricted its academic K-12 School Site license (for up to 500 machines) to Windows—and Windows alone.

Adobe claims that the company still supports the school-wide site license for Mac in the sense that Macs can run the Windows versions of CS3 apps in Boot Camp, but of course many a Mac user would prefer to run those applications natively in OS X (and not have to purchase an XP or Vista license in the first place).

What reason could Adobe POSSIBLY have for not allowing Mac users to load a Mac version of CS3 on machines covered under the license? This state of affairs is particularly galling for those of us who work in a mixed platform setting.

If I am wrong about the exclusivity of Windows in this regard, please let me know. But as far as I can tell (after scouring academic software sites) — and as far as Adobe indicates on its own web pages — the Mac platform is once again being pissed upon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    That sounds stupid as hell. There's no reason for that.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Exactly. It's mystifying.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Perhaps it's time for Apple to buy Adobe...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

Adobe don't really like Apple that much and by doing this, they are discouraging consumers in a strong sector for Apple from buying Macs. Less Mac users means less Final Cut studio and Shake users and more Windows-based Premiere and AE users, which is what they like. Then the less people who are educated with Macs in these lines, the less people who go on to use them professionally.

I doubt this will affect students much though who usually get their software free but it should affect the way classrooms are setup.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I stand corrected. I have found an academic reseller that appears to license the CS3 suite for both Windows and Mac. This is a tremendous relief. Our organization wants to be able to run these apps on both platforms and it appears (cross fingers) that we will be able to do so.

Sorry for the false alarm. Hopefully Adobe will update their website to make this perfectly clear.