A comprehensive list of Leopard features and surprises

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    They don't mention Resoultion Independence?
  • Reply 22 of 75
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Is Safari 3 going to be leopard-only, or will (the final, non-beta version) run on Tiger?
  • Reply 23 of 75
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

We've got X-serves at my work, and Spotlight is garbage on that too. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't work at all. Whenever we need to find something on the netwrok, we go over to an OS 9 machine and use Sherlock.

Spotlight on Tiger doesn't search across the network, which is probably why it's "garbage" on your xserves.

you can still do regular finder searches on 10.4 that will match things like filename; these are returned speedily. (local network, about 5 mounted shares, 100,000+ files.) I've certainly never wanted to go to an OS 9 machine.

I doubt searching linux or windows file shares will be radically improved, as they of course don't support Spotlight.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

PLEASE NOTE: This product will ship October 26.

i too noticed that now, it may be loooong weekend wait to get leopard, i have less than 9GB, good time to spend clean up and get macbook leopard ready.

if I do clean install, my vista will be erased rite?
  • Reply 25 of 75
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    yes, what about resolution independence?

and most of all, what about Quicktime? it needs a big refresher, first, to handle all the common types of video and other media files it can't now without shareware help, and, two to seamlessly incorporate the AVCBrowser now buried in the Firewire SDK. and there are other details ... it's badly out of date.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtx View Post

Is Safari 3 going to be leopard-only, or will (the final, non-beta version) run on Tiger?

What would be the point of having beta's in 10.4, and not allowing the final to run?

That would anger quite a few people.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

and most of all, what about Quicktime? it needs a big refresher, first, to handle all the common types of video and other media files it can't now without shareware help, and, two to seamlessly incorporate the AVCBrowser now buried in the Firewire SDK. and there are other details ... it's badly out of date.

It's frustrating, as that was one feature I wanted the most.

So do many others here.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:

Enhanced VPN Client Compatibility

Connect to a broader range of VPN clients. Leopard supports Cisco Group Filtering as well as DHCP over PPP, which allows you to dynamically acquire additional configuration options such as static routes and search domains.

Does this mean a subsequent update to the iPhone/Touch will allow them to work on those Cisco networks as well? This is huge for me and a lot of college students who are forced to use Cisco VPN to connect to the net via their campus' wireless network.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Resolution independence is there...whether there are system controls for it is another thing entirely.

http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/

Resolution Independence

The old assumption that displays are 72dpi has been rendered obsolete by advances in display technology. Macs now ship with displays that sport native resolutions of 100dpi or better. Furthermore, the number of pixels per inch will continue to increase dramatically over the next few years. This will make displays crisper and smoother, but it also means that interfaces that are pixel-based will shrink to the point of being unusable. The solution is to remove the 72dpi assumption that has been the norm. In Leopard, the system, including the Carbon and Cocoa frameworks, will be able to draw user interface elements using a scale factor. This will let the user interface maintain the same physical size while gaining resolution and crispness from high dpi displays.

The introduction of resolution independence may mean that there is work that you?ll need to do in order to make your application look as good as possible. For modern Cocoa and Carbon applications, most of the work will center around raster-based resources. For older applications that use QuickDraw, more work will be required to replace QuickDraw-based calls with Quartz ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's frustrating, as that was one feature I wanted the most.

So do many others here.

• Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Resolution independence is there...whether there are system controls for it is another thing entirely.

Quote:

Resolution independence was one of the features that fell off the Web pages post WWDC 2007. If you looked at the Leopard Web pages before WWDC 2007 and after you'll see several things advertised in 2006 that were silently dropped. Others that are gone are anti-phishing and Carbon 64-bit (which is more of a political decision apparently, but still missing).

Resolution independence will be supported in the same capacity as it is in Tiger: changeable via the Developer Tools only and not officially supported. At WWDC 2007 they announced that resolution independence is still buggy in Leopard and only a "handful" of built-in applications in Leopard will support it. Absent from the list was Safari. They are encouraging 3rd party developers to test their own applications with it so they can enable it in 10.x (not 10.5.x necessarily).

Finally worth noting: no applications in the last couple builds of Leopard were 64-bit except for Chess.app and Xcode.app. The system frameworks are 64-bit as advertised, but Apple never promised (and is not delivering) their own applications as 64-bit. It makes sense because 64 bit provides little but I've seen 64-bit tossed around on the Internet as some sort of panacea.

And since Leopard is now officially GM I don't feel bad in the least about spilling any of that. Woo hoo first post!
  • Reply 31 of 75
    thanks, s.metcalf, for that informative link. further down the same page:

QuickTime Improvements

Working with video using QuickTime has long been a strength of Mac OS X. Now, it?s as easy to build video capture into your application as it is to work with pre-recorded video. By using the QTKit Capture API, you can capture video from an iSight, USB (VDC) and FireWire (IIDC) devices, and DV cameras. The API even lets you output to multiple outputs.

QuickTime?s plumbing is receiving significant upgrades in Leopard. There have been significant enhancements in handling the H.264 encoding. Also, transparent alpha layers, an optional part of the H.264 specification, are now supported in H.264-based QuickTime movies. And finally, QuickTime supports 64-bit. However, the functionality for 64-bit QuickTime is only provided via the QTKit framework. The current C-based QuickTime API will only be supported in 32-bit mode.

so ... will they now include firewire video capture into QuickTime Pro? be nice ... well, wait and see.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rawhead View Post

You're kidding me. Did you even read the list of changes in this article (let alone the 300 list on Apple's website)?? Improvements in Spotlight, Spaces, and Time Machine are "eye-candy"?

You are absolutely insane, or, you just don't know what the word eye-candy means.\

I think you don't understand the word "most".

Like most Forum dwellers you read what you want to read and not what is written.

I agree that, unfortunately, most of Leopard's "new features' are just eye candy some of it quite regressive such as the icons sitting on top of the dock in 3D. The reason logos are largely graphical not photographic and rarely 3D is that they are much easier to read when simplified. Not just that but it makes relocating the Dock to the sides look positively ridiculous.

I can not say with certainty that the many bugs or GUI flaws I have picked up in OSX since it came out are still there, but I won't be surprised when they are. Apple has shown little interest in polishing OSX when it can stick another coat of paint on instead and sell it as "New".

Lets face it, Apple and Steve's attention have been elsewhere for the last few years and upgrades to OSX seem to have been on the backburner.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:

thanks, s.metcalf, for that informative link. further down the same page:

QuickTime Improvements

Working with video using QuickTime has long been a strength of Mac OS X. Now, it?s as easy to build video capture into your application as it is to work with pre-recorded video. By using the QTKit Capture API, you can capture video from an iSight, USB (VDC) and FireWire (IIDC) devices, and DV cameras. The API even lets you output to multiple outputs.

QuickTime?s plumbing is receiving significant upgrades in Leopard. There have been significant enhancements in handling the H.264 encoding. Also, transparent alpha layers, an optional part of the H.264 specification, are now supported in H.264-based QuickTime movies. And finally, QuickTime supports 64-bit. However, the functionality for 64-bit QuickTime is only provided via the QTKit framework. The current C-based QuickTime API will only be supported in 32-bit mode.

so ... will they now include firewire video capture into QuickTime Pro? be nice ... well, wait and see.

Any chance that Apple has improved the QuickTime Pro interface?

It desperately needs a rewrite to work like all the other graphic apps and allow straightforward editing and adding of material by simple selection, cropping, insertion and dragging.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

I think you don't understand the word "most".

Like most Forum dwellers you read what you want to read and not what is written.

I agree that, unfortunately, most of Leopard's "new features' are just eye candy .

well, what the heck do you mean by "most" the two times you just used the word? one reason people often mis-read is because the statement is unclear to start with.

sure, a good number of Leopards new features on the 300+ list can be called "eye candy."

and even more can be called "bells and whistles" added to current programs, like all that fancy iChat stuff, that most people will never actually use. although there are some neat new tricks on that list, and we'll all find a couple we do like (WebClip i can see myself using a lot). you could call them "new," just not "important" or "significant."

but then many on the list are clearly significant functional improvements/enhancements that many will find very useful, like Spaces and the improved Spotlight, Safari 3 graduating from Beta, QuickLook, Network Preferences, Guest Log-In, maybe Stacks, etc, and some meaningful details in various programs.

as to both "really new" and "big," there aren't many in number from the non-tech user standpoint, it is true. Time Machine. Certainly Boot Camp graduating from Beta. i think that is what is disappointing to some.

(As to all the tech programs like Automator, XCode, Terminal, Security, Dashcode, etc, others who are qualified need to let us know about their significance, i've no idea.)

but when you add it all up, and throw in iWork 08 and iLife 08 which, though separate strictly speaking, really are part of the total Mac new 2007 software package - then you have a heck of a package! plus a few new useful pieces of hardware like Airport Extreme and those phone/pod things that extend the OS's reach into broader realms.

so, still not good enough to earn even some praise? ok, go ahead, put your entire system back to what is was on December 31, 2006, and say bah humbug. but "most" Mac users will not be opting for that.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by age_leopard View Post

i totally agree with you!!!

why can't people get past the fact that

Personal Computers are meant for

'personal' use!!

Whose special case always was, and it is more today with the increasing power of the computers, entertainment and in particular gaming.

Quote:

thats why they invented computers that play games

separately like the PS3, Wii, XBOX, etc...

The one does not exclude the other. Some people like to casually play a light game while awaiting a processing job to finish, while others prefer to devote time exclusively to games, either on computer or console.

Quote:

i get so angry and heated-up whenever people

say 'Macs suck because there arent any games for it'!

it's stupid and makes no sense whats so ever!

people need to grow up and buy themselves a game console if

they really want to play games!!!!

Chill down or you risk to bust this little vein in your head. Computers, game consoles etc. are just that. There are much more important values in this life and there is certainly no need to get angry.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The DVD player is substantially improved.

- ffwding now stops immediately (on Tiger there is a several second delay)

- there are more controls in full screen mode

- if there is a scratched area on the disk it will happily skip it and display a message that it is doing so. In Tiger it would just die.

- No more skipping when minimizing to the Dock

- New scrub control on main window (like Quicktime has), but hidden until you mouseover

Definitely more than just a point release.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Tiger was a miniscule improvement (especially compared to the hype), and I see nothing that indicates that Leopard is any different.

I agree with the sentiment that Tiger was an unexciting update, and a very, very buggy one at that.

Leopard is a different beast. Sure, not 300 innovations. But there are a lot of medium level enhancements which make this a very solid upgrade. And there are quite a few big enhancement in there too. I bet once people use Leopard for a few weeks they will look at Tiger as if it were release 20 years ago.

Of course, the big mystery with Leopard is quality. Apple, of late, has had horrific quality in basically everything they have released. (I'm sitting here trying to think of an exception, but can't. Not good.)

Anyway, will Leopard have the quality of the "New Apple" or of the "Old Apple?"

Given this OS will be on 1/2 the computers in my office by the end of the launch weekend, I hope Apple doesn't screw this up like the new OS in the iPods, the iMac video driver train wreck, Safari for Windows, iPod touch screens, MacBook heat, MacBook Pro yellow displays, unfixed sparkle issues in the cinema displays, etc., etc.,

(See what I mean. Every product of late is train wreck quality.)

But to be positive, I am really looking forward to Leopard. I just hope Apple didn't cut corners.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    No info about Java 1.6 makes me stuck with Windows. Sadly Leopard looks great, but sum cross-platform compatibility would be great. At least saying "we won't support Java" would help too, as it could initiate others to develop Apple independent JVM. However Apple doesn't communicate with developers well. It's pitty that the best OS is developed by one of the most arrogant company.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    I looked in my Tiger AddressBook and it has options for synchronizing with Exchange (Outlook Web Access), Yahoo! and LDAP servers. So, not a new feature.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Quote:

i totally agree with you!!!

why can't people get past the fact that

Personal Computers are meant for

'personal' use!!

thats why they invented computers that play games

separately like the PS3, Wii, XBOX, etc...

i get so angry and heated-up whenever people

say 'Macs suck because there arent any games for it'!

it's stupid and makes no sense whats so ever!

people need to grow up and buy themselves a game console if

they really want to play games!!!!

It's a "personal" computer which means that people want to use their computer for whatever bloody purpose they see fit, which might include playing games. Perhaps if you understood what personal meant...

Stupid comments like PC's (including those of the Mac variety) aren't for games make me angry.

Yes, people do need to grow up and realize that people make different uses of their "personal" computers...