Steve Jobs confirms native iPhone SDK by February

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a new posting to Apple.com's Hot News webpage, chief executive Steve Jobs has confirmed plans to release a software developer's kit (SDK) for iPhone by February that will allow developers to write native applications for the touch-screen handset as well as the iPod touch.

Here's an unedited copy of Jobs' note from the Apple Hot News page:

Third Party Applications on the iPhone

Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    Woohoo!

• Reply 2 of 143
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    If this turns out, then my last objection to the platform may well be moot, but we'll have to see how it's set up. I think it would have been nice to have this known up front rather than be speculation for months.

Per the article, from what I've seen on their site, Nokia allows self-signing. I think it takes an extra step to have it operate on the device though, but that makes some sense.
  • Reply 3 of 143
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Yay!

February is not that far away in the grand scheme of things.

Lets just hope Apple doesn't try to rip off developers charging them for certification, as that will immediately prevent any freeware apps. We'll see - I expect we'll hear more at MacWorld. I also expect we're about to see a new iPhone firmware that will totally screw anyone's ability to put custom apps on it...
  • Reply 4 of 143
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Sadly, any attempts by Apple to provide a stable and secure dev environment will be greeted as not enough by the 'we want it all NOW crowd'. Face it... hacking is WAY more fun.

BTW, anyone thinking that such an environment could have been provided within the first few months of release are delusional, so spare us the 'whoo hoo... we forced Apple's hand' victory chants.

But overall... YEA!

Apps for my Touch I'll be able to trust!
  • Reply 5 of 143
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I knew this would happen. I've been saying so for months!

Jobs said quite a while ago that Apple would have a solution for creating apps for the phone that would satisfy everyone. He said that it was a lot of work to do, and that they hoped that it would be out by the end of the year.

Considering how software projects go, February isn't too late.

This will make a huge difference. I wonder if they will have a beta for Macworld. It's interesting that they are confirming it now. It's almost a random date. Unless it has something to do with one of the lawsuits.

At any rate this covers one of my needs. Now, if they can have a 3G model before too long, I'll plunk my money down.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    This is very good news. Not sure whether it was planned all along, but who cares? In the long term, mobile OS X now has a very good chance of burying mobile Windows.

An interesting thing to note is that the iPhone is a very visible, large target for malware writers. Since iPhone runs OS X, Apple have a lot to lose in viruses appearing for the iPhone, as said viruses could (depending on how they work) spread to Apple's computers, and that would be
  • Reply 7 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

An interesting thing to note is that the iPhone is a very visible, large target for malware writers. Since iPhone runs OS X, Apple have a lot to lose in viruses appearing for the iPhone, as said viruses could (depending on how they work) spread to Apple's computers, and that would be

Everyone who's been calling for a little rationality on this subject has said all along that the reason that an SDK was not released out of the box was precisely for this reason. You don't release a brand new platform built on a powerful operating system and immediately open it up to uncontrolled, anonymous development.

My concern is that Apple may be reacting too much to the pressure and releasing the keys to the kingdom too early.

I want them to lock this baby down like a drum before they start letting every malware author take their crack.
  • Reply 8 of 143

Great news!

- removes one of the main objections for iPhone adoption (at least in the corporate world anyway)

And February gives them enough time to do a great job, and cater for any new devices that may be announced in the intervening months!

• Reply 9 of 143
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The part that sucks about it is that all that shit we were using for free will probably cost us an arm and leg now.
  • Reply 10 of 143
    Hope it rolls w/ a 3rd party Quicken widget like I had on my Treo. Stuffing receipts in my wallet was not enough to keep me from an iPhone, but I sure miss that convenience.
  • Reply 11 of 143
    Jobs said to be patient. Maybe the children will stop throwing their hissy fits for a little while.
  • Reply 12 of 143
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Excellent.

A very welcome move. There's a small amount of FUD (I know the Nokia signing restriction he mentions, and it's a user selectable option that defaults at the secure setting but can be changed) but otherwise this is a very welcome move.

That's really thrown me. I was about ready to buy a Nokia E90, and now I'm all indecisive again!

Amorya
  • Reply 13 of 143
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by <2cents View Post

Jobs said to be patient. Maybe the children will stop throwing their hissy fits for a little while.

Yes, definitely. If he'd only have said this at the beginning there would have been very little bitching.

It was the "write a web app if you want to develop" line that everyone was up in arms about. I could easily have handled "We'll have an SDK next year; they're hard to write and will take time".

Amorya
  • Reply 14 of 143
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Awesome. Now, the real revolution countdown has just started. A million thanks to Apple and Steve. This is a great early Christmas gift for all of us!
  • Reply 15 of 143
    OMG!

apple.com HackED!!!!

His Steveness would never.....

On a more serious note, does this mean the 'newton' is again mothballed? - If it existed, and was imminent, as AI pointed out, wouldn't AAPL want devs to program for it instead of iPhone/touch? Or possibly it is all a ruse for Feb. release of the newnewton™
  • Reply 16 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The part that sucks about it is that all that shit we were using for free will probably cost us an arm and leg now.

Ah... the new whining meme arrives right one cue.
  • Reply 17 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My concern is that Apple may be reacting too much to the pressure and releasing the keys to the kingdom too early. I want them to lock this baby down like a drum before they start letting every malware author take their crack.

Applications are digitally signed in Leopard (optional for 3rd parties), and some run in a sandbox.

I imagine that's what will happen on the iPhone. Or rather that all applications will require a digital signature and all (non-Apple?) applications will run in a sandbox.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I want them to lock this baby down like a drum before they start letting every malware author take their crack.

You mean how all those malware authors have infested Mac OS X? What's so special about the phone version that's supposedly so easily threatened? The only thing I can think of is abandoning secure coding practice in order to get a less secure product out the door sooner, and then trying to mop it up afterwards. I think most people with good coding experience would suggest that's really the worst way to do it, it's short term gain for long term pain.
  • Reply 19 of 143
    Reasons why SDK wasn't announced before:
    1. Need to shake out the bugs.

2. iPod Touch is mentioned and Apple did not want to "show their hand".

3. Some features are dependent on Leopard (Xcode 3.0/Obj-C 2.0) so it couldn't be released until Leopard was released.

4. Steve wanted to surprise us at MWSF.

Reasons why SDK was announced now:
    1. Whiners.

2. Ambulance chasing lawyers.

• Reply 20 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I knew this would happen. I've been saying so for months!

Jobs said quite a while ago that Apple would have a solution for creating apps for the phone that would satisfy everyone. He said that it was a lot of work to do, and that they hoped that it would be out by the end of the year.

Considering how software projects go, February isn't too late.

This will make a huge difference. I wonder if they will have a beta for Macworld. It's interesting that they are confirming it now. It's almost a random date. Unless it has something to do with one of the lawsuits.

At any rate this covers one of my needs. Now, if they can have a 3G model before too long, I'll plunk my money down.

This news hasn't hurt the stock... it's at it's highest ever.