Single User License; Multiple PCs?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Morality aside, would a Single User License of OS X install on all my Macs?

What distinguishes a Family License asides from aesthetic labels saying so?

In short, can I install Leopard on a Single User License, on all my Macs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Morality aside? hahahaha

What on earth is THAT supposed to mean?
  • Reply 2 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Morality aside? hahahaha

What on earth is THAT supposed to mean?

"principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior."
  • Reply 3 of 31
    And the answer is...
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmhtkmhtkmht View Post

And the answer is...

Yes, of course.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:

And the answer is...

Of course it will!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Why on earth would anyone pay for a "Family License" then?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

For "morality", of course (or karma as Steve would say it). And family pack entitles you to support for up to 5 Macs within a household.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

If you have two computers, one at work and one at home. I'd probably be to better to have to sets up disks handy.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I pre-ordered the Family pack, did the same with iWork '08. There's my 2 Macs and I hope to eventually get the wife one as well - and - it's the right thing to do .
  • Reply 10 of 31
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

Because we're not cheap bastards?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    Say I'm in 'cheap bastard' mode for a second......

If me and a mate are looking to purchase Leopard, will buying the Family one for £120 allow us to pass the CD to each other after installing? Therefore making it £60 each instead of the single user £85 price.....

Is this how it works or am I in dreamland?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    It will work, the only thing that would stop you would be your judgement. The family license is legally for people that are related and live in the same household.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

Support Contracts/Apple Care
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

The family license is legally for people that are related and live in the same household.

So no wives? Step parents? Adopted children?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    I was trying to change up the vocabulary in the sentence rather than say family 10 times.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    But if me and my mate both want leopard on Friday the 26th, instead of buying an individual copy each there's nothing different or stopping us from buying the 5 user pack and installing it one after the other?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I personally see no reason why not. It's not like a crack team of Apple lawyers will descend on you.

He's your "brother from another mother"
  • Reply 18 of 31
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSS View Post

But if me and my mate both want leopard on Friday the 26th, instead of buying an individual copy each there's nothing different or stopping us from buying the 5 user pack and installing it one after the other?

It's illegal but there's nothing to actually stop you.

Given that it's illegal why not go the whole hog and just buy the single license disc.

Come on, Apple is giving you a great product at a great price. At least have the decency to buy a disc each.

The more people act like you intend, the more chance Apple will go down the whole Serial Number mess route.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

It's illegal but there's nothing to actually stop you.

Given that it's illegal why not go the whole hog and just buy the single license disc.

Come on, Apple is giving you a great product at a great price. At least have the decency to buy a disc each.

The more people act like you intend, the more chance Apple will go down the whole Serial Number mess route.

I'm really surprised that Apple hasn't done the serial number thing already. I'm glad they didn't because I always misplace the serial. Then I have to search frantically for it when I need it. Not to mention the whole MS activation process sucks a lot. You change hard drives and you have to reactivate.

I agree that Apple offers OS X at a great price. Full version for upgrade price of Windows.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    The reason Apple hasn't done the whole serial number thing is that it's easy to get a serial for potential abusers... (heard of warez before?), and it's a pain in the ass for people who legitimately pay. There is not a single software package out there that cannot be pirated. Look at Windows XP... cracked the day it came out. Look at HDDVD... cracked before it even came out. Etc etc.

Food for thought.

Two guys *paying* for a *5-user license*, and only using *two* installs would only get the ire of Apple users. *sigh*