A comprehensive list of Leopard features and surprises

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    Where are the surprises?
  • Reply 42 of 75
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    What interests me most in this thread are the number of new AI members. I hope it is an indication that the halo affect is snowballing and that 10.5 is attracting more attention from potential switchers.

Of all the new features, the one that actually made me rejoice out loud was that of splitting network mounts into separate threads. Will it end up being the most significant to me in the end? Probably not. But upon immediate perusal, it is the one improvement that really made me think "finally!".

I eagerly await release day. I'll go to the Shadyside store for entertaining mayhem and the defacto geek convention. Oh, and to pick myself up a copy pronto.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by age_leopard View Post

i totally agree with you!!!

why can't people get past the fact that

Personal Computers are meant for

'personal' use!!

thats why they invented computers that play games

separately like the PS3, Wii, XBOX, etc...

i get so angry and heated-up whenever people

say 'Macs suck because there arent any games for it'!

it's stupid and makes no sense whats so ever!

people need to grow up and buy themselves a game console if

they really want to play games!!!!

You can buy an iPod. Does that mean you shouldn't play music or videos on your computer? I don't think so.

The existence of specialty devices is no excuse for a general purpose computer to lack certain abilities. The value in a personal computer is it's ability to perform a wide range of tasks which will vary based on the needs and desires of individual users. Even if you don't want to play games on your computer, you can't trivialize the fact that other people do.

Instead of blindly defending Apple, everybody needs to realize that games do matter. A computer that can play games is more attractive to the average consumer than one which cannot. This does affect buying decisions. The sooner the fans can agree on this, the sooner we'll have a unified voice that Apple might actually take seriously.

Poor game support is the biggest item remaining on the "list of reasons to not buy a Mac." Let's agree that we want the issue resolved. It will strengthen the future of the platform.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    Does anyone know if they have updated the plugins in isync so that Leopard will be able to synch with Sony Ericsson UIQ3 phones like p990i or p1i?

Thank you.
  • Reply 45 of 75
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Any chance that Apple has improved the QuickTime Pro interface?

It desperately needs a rewrite to work like all the other graphic apps and allow straightforward editing and adding of material by simple selection, cropping, insertion and dragging.

I disagree that it "desperately needs a rewrite". You already can do all those things (selection: the in marker, out marker and play head can all be moved in single-frame steps using the keyboard; cropping: there is a "trim to selection" command, and the "cut" command; insertion: paste; dragging - to be honest not sure what you mean, a drag and drop from the QuickTime window will create a single-frame copy) so I suggest that you need to learn how to use it properly. As a streamlined, simple video editor it works extremely well and if you need more sophisticated editing there's iMovie 6, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What would be the point of having beta's in 10.4, and not allowing the final to run?

That would anger quite a few people.

Agreed, but I don't want to assume. I suppose we will find out soon enough.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am unpleasantly surprised by the new 3D dock floor. It just looks awkward when your screen is not on a 30 degree angle, especially when your screen is up straight. > http://www.apple.com/macosx/

My suggestion to Apple: why not dropping this fixed angle of the dock?! Every time you change the angle of your screen, the dock floor adapts itself to a pleasing angle in order to create this otherwise great 3D illusion.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am unpleasantly surprised by the new 3D dock floor. It just looks awkward when your screen is not on a 30 degree angle, especially when your screen is up straight. > http://www.apple.com/macosx/

My suggestion to Apple: why not dropping this fixed angle of the dock?! Every time you change the angle of your screen, the dock floor adapts itself to a pleasing angle in order to create this otherwise great 3D illusion.

Tis is a nice idea, but to work it would require special sensors calculating the angle and informing the OS about it.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bezbozny View Post

Does anyone know if they have updated the plugins in isync so that Leopard will be able to synch with Sony Ericsson UIQ3 phones like p990i or p1i?

Thank you.

Looks like you are out of luck...supported iSync devices.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    I really can't believe this..... After being in the market for 2 years they still don't support the UIQ3 devices.... I m frustrated!!!!
  • Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:

Agreed. I hope this is the first thing to go when they realize their mistake. At least give us the option to turn it off!
  • Reply 52 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That would be a bit much.

Perhaps someone will come out with some small bit of software that will allow you to adjust the angle. Sigh! Sometimes I wish I was still programming.

Come on all of you smart "developers" who are members here. Do something! Prove that you know as much as you say you do.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    I completely agree with you gastroboy. Some people are too blinded by their apple fandom to admit this. They have yet to revamp the Finder...which is in desperate need of a makeover (metadata...performance...etc). I mean Cover Flow? That'll just lower productivity and be pretty useless to me. The dock just got a facelift (and a tacky and ugly one at that...I have mine on the left and do not look forward to seeing its awkwardness with the new look) and stacks...wow. Stationary to mail? And notes/to-dos? Pretty useless...when I write a note, I pop open text edit and quickly jot down something, or use a sticky. The update to DVD Player is long overdue. I'm still on the fence about time machine...and how comprehensive its preferences are. The new "unified" icons bother me...sure they're unified in style but icons shouldn't be that similar...I now find it difficult (not to mention bland to look at) to quickly differentiate my movie folder from my documents folder (course changing icons is a cinch but by default...this new look/gui update was unnecessary, though I do agree to a more unified look as in the window themes (eliminating brush metal, etc).) Just a bunch of eye candy features (which imo make the system uglier...I like the GUI's look as it is...why need to change the traffic close, minimize... window buttons?). I'll still pick up the OS when it arrives but Jobs and co. have gotten lazier and less innovative/focused with the most important part of their mac computer consumer base. feel free to bash...

Quote:

I think you don't understand the word "most".

Like most Forum dwellers you read what you want to read and not what is written.

I agree that, unfortunately, most of Leopard's "new features' are just eye candy some of it quite regressive such as the icons sitting on top of the dock in 3D. The reason logos are largely graphical not photographic and rarely 3D is that they are much easier to read when simplified. Not just that but it makes relocating the Dock to the sides look positively ridiculous.

I can not say with certainty that the many bugs or GUI flaws I have picked up in OSX since it came out are still there, but I won't be surprised when they are. Apple has shown little interest in polishing OSX when it can stick another coat of paint on instead and sell it as "New".

Lets face it, Apple and Steve's attention have been elsewhere for the last few years and upgrades to OSX seem to have been on the backburner.

• Reply 54 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wquach View Post

I completely agree with you gastroboy. Some people are too blinded by their apple fandom to admit this.

Some people are also blinded by other motives.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    Quote:

I think you don't understand the word "most".

Like most Forum dwellers you read what you want to read and not what is written.

No, gastroboy, I read what's written, not what was supposedly intended. By the way, who are you to tell me what TerrinB meant? Beside the point.

From Dictionary.com (great site, you should try it some time)

--------------------------------------------------

most [mohst] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?adjective, superl. of much or many with more as compar.

1.\tin the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number: to win the most votes.

2.\tin the majority of instances: Most operations are successful.

3.\tgreatest, as in size or extent: the most talent.

---------------------------------------------------

Since you can only characterize a change in the OS as either "just eye-candy" or "not justs eye-candy" (one is the complementary set of the other), in order for one to be able to say "most features are just eye-candy", more than half of the 300 features listed on Apple's page have to be just eye-candy. So, why don't you list at least 151 of those "just eye-candies" for us. Oh, in case you don't know what eye-candy is, here's a definition:

------------

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

eye candy

n. Informal

Someone or something that is visually attractive or pleasing to look at.

------------

No, you don't have to prove to us that all 151 that you're going to list are "attractive" or "pleasing to look at". Just prove to us that they only have to do with "appearance" and have no substance behind them.

And no, I'm not holding my breath
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Oh, and you can count the new dock's appearance as eye-candy, and I'd agree, so make that 150.

But of course, you can't count the entire dock out because there's so much more to the new dock that is not eye-candy.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richard P. View Post

Great article.

There is a typo in the 'Font' category description: "When an application requests a fond that..."

It could be someone thinking old-school... FOND was the name of a font family resource in the classic MacOS.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yes, what about resolution independence?

At WWDC 06 they said that resolution independence would be coming in 2008.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    I would like to get an Airport Express and an external Tb hard drive to share on my wireless network between my macs and PC. Is this possible? i would like to use a file system that can be written and read by both without additional software. - on another note, how do macs join wondows networks and write to them if they dont support writing to NTFS? I am hoping Leopard will support this natively. Does anyone know? Cheers
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I disagree that it "desperately needs a rewrite". You already can do all those things (selection: the in marker, out marker and play head can all be moved in single-frame steps using the keyboard; cropping: there is a "trim to selection" command, and the "cut" command; insertion: paste; dragging - to be honest not sure what you mean, a drag and drop from the QuickTime window will create a single-frame copy) so I suggest that you need to learn how to use it properly. As a streamlined, simple video editor it works extremely well and if you need more sophisticated editing there's iMovie 6, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro.

QuickTime's positioning and cropping controls are amazingly non-Mac like. You can't simply click on objects, crop, alter frames or position items by dragging them to where they should be. Graphics distort to fit the movie dimensions, without much feedback as to what those are, even if this was a desirable behaviour.

Applying and positioning text is even more frustrating as is the arcane way masking is done.

You would think deleting or repositioning frames would be a matter of scanning or counting through a QT movie and selecting the ones you want, instead you get none of that and have to ginger your way into position with markers that are crudely placed particularly on physically small movies.

The same for objects which are held in a crude "properties" list which often bares little resemblance to what you see. Hasn't Apple heard of layers palettes or object oriented GUI?

A simple slideshow requires that you rename each image into a sequence. If you don't it doesn't even tell you why it fails, it just sits there and does nothing.

Is QT "Pro" in some kind of time warp or just the Apple engineers who created it and never bothered to read their own GUI guidelines?

After sweating through all the "interface" oddities you can spend the rest of your time trying to debug why it has simply failed to produce a working movie.

To cap it off the documentation, what there is of it, tells you almost nothing that would be actually useful.