10.5 secret features?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
so after hearing steve talk about things 'we cant show you right now' does anyone think we will see something of a surprise? would be nice to have some new feature that will blow the socks off everything ..maybe they've been keeping something in the closet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I believe the only thing they were keeping in the closet was the ship date.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Don't fall for Steve's bullshit, he's a ruthless liar.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Most of the big stuff is in conjunction with MacOS X Server, or is for developers to use. A lot of it is small stuff that adds up together.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    One feature that was secret until today is AutoFS is coming to a Mac near you. By leveraging this next-gen file system mounter, and it's threaded code, no more Finder freezes when doing network mounting operations (FTP, iDisk, etc).

No word on iDisk/FTP speedups, though. Apple's iDisk is hands down the slowest implementation of WebDAV ever, at least in OS X < 10.5...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    we'll never know until Steve says, "and one more thing..."

• Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macfly View Post

so after hearing steve talk about things 'we cant show you right now' does anyone think we will see something of a surprise? would be nice to have some new feature that will blow the socks off everything ..maybe they've been keeping something in the closet?

The reference to "Top Secret Features" was at WWDC 2006!!!!!!!! At WWDC 2007, Apple unveiled said "Top Secret Features!"

ARG! This is literally the 923rd time this has been brought up.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    My source told me recently that the secret feature has yet to be revealed. They saw the new feature demoed two weeks ago and assured me that I would be impressed.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

The reference to "Top Secret Features" was at WWDC 2006!!!!!!!! At WWDC 2007, Apple unveiled said "Top Secret Features!"

ARG! This is literally the 923rd time this has been brought up.

I agree one hundred percent.

The surprise should be that we developed from single cell creatures and should be grateful that in such short period of the history of the Universe that we have an OS of any description to play with.

Then again maybe others aren't Darwinists like me and believe that Steve Jobs is some kind of God that can perform all sorts of OS miracles.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrouch View Post

The surprise should be that we developed from single cell creatures and should be grateful that in such short period of the history of the Universe that we have an OS of any description to play with.

And with the current trend of world affairs, we will soon be back to single cell creatures and OS 9!!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Given that Leopard is entirely under-whelming, anything actually NEW would be welcome...

This is Apple's first OS release which I could care less about and will likely install only once 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 will be released.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    They don't need any secret features at this point, they just need to ship a solid version of this software and have everyone buy and love it.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Well we did get a new Finder, and a new desktop.

Ordering my new 24" 2.8Ghz iMac tomorrow!

Kill blue Aqua, please Steve
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZO View Post

Given that Leopard is entirely under-whelming, anything actually NEW would be welcome...

This is Apple's first OS release which I could care less about and will likely install only once 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 will be released.

Which OS X version did you *really* care about and why? How did it make you feel?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    I personally cared for the Public Beta. Great times.

For 10.0, because it was the first "final" version (although it turned out incomplete and sluggish).

For 10.1 for speed and bugfixes.

For 10.2 for speed, bugfixes and Quartz Extreme.

For 10.3 for speed, bugfixes and not so much the Brushed Metal Finder.

After that it kinda toned down for me.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The soon-to-be-revealed secret feature is that every copy of OS X Leopard comes with a pony!!!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

The soon-to-be-revealed secret feature is that every copy of OS X Leopard comes with a pony!!!

Coincidentally your username is very close to a specific breed of pony.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post

One feature that was secret until today is AutoFS is coming to a Mac near you. By leveraging this next-gen file system mounter, and it's threaded code, no more Finder freezes when doing network mounting operations (FTP, iDisk, etc).

No word on iDisk/FTP speedups, though. Apple's iDisk is hands down the slowest implementation of WebDAV ever, at least in OS X < 10.5...

It's a new TCP/IP stack, new kernel with a different scheduler and SSH is current, WebDav is current.

AutoFS will make you less abrasive.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I can't figure out that post.

Was my post abrasive? If so, my apologies.

Having used many other WebDav implementations besides iDisk, I can say without hesitation that iDisk is brutally slow. So is FTP in the Finder.

These aren't related to TCP/IP stack, kernel, scheduler, etc. It's the WebDav implemetation, combined with a poorly threaded Finder. iDisk access is thus quite slow, AND locks up the Finder whilst loading a folder's contents. Same for FTP. If your mileage varies, do tell.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macfly View Post

He showed off what he wasn't showing on the first demo in the second demo. The features were mostly revealed, but the real secrets are in the details at Apples site. Everything you didn't know you can now find out.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Which OS X version did you *really* care about and why? How did it make you feel?

PB was having me bouncing off the walls... I yearned MacOS X so much I was ecstatic for a week.

10.0 was like a late beta... it was so damn slow

10.1 I loved and was extremely excited about since it was significantly better

I'd say 10.3 was the last version that I told myself I HAVE to have this and have to have it NOW and was lovin' it for a long time.

10.4 doesn't have anything truly extraordinary... and 10.5 is really nothing new.

I wish they'd resolve ETERNAL problems like Finder FTP kernel panics, make the green button on every window actually do something LOGICAL and streamlined (I've lost count of how many times I have to explain to anyone that the green button is... well.. useless), one-click Folder/Directory sharing (like Windows has had since... 10 years?), or how about having the "Applications" shortcut and "Documents" folder already on the Dock (again, how many people do you know that didnt even know there were other applications other than the ones on the Dock? Or use the Desktop as the Documents folder?). Heck, why not have a Right Click and Move function like Windows too?

Bah...