Apple issues ATI Radeon X1900 XT, Remote Desktop, Xsan updates

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has recently released software updates for ATI Radeon X1900 XT Firmware, Apple Remote Desktop, Xsan Filesystem and Admin, and Garage Band Jam Pack.

ATI Radeon X1900 XT Firmware Update

The ATI Radeon X1900 XT Firmware Update [668KB] will update the firmware on all of the ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics cards in the Mac Pro. The updater application will be installed in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 Client

Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 Client update [4.1MB] is recommended for all users and addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility.

More details are available in this document.

Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 Admin

Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 Admin update [34.6MB] is recommended for all users and addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility. It includes specific fixes for:

compatibility with Mac OS X Leopardgetting status and connecting to computers on slow networkstyping accented characters on European language keyboardsusing Open Application tasks on Intel-based Macsaccurately reporting operating system version numberscompatibility with third party VNC viewers and servers

More details are available in this document.

Xsan 1.4.2 Filesystem, Admin updates

The Xsan 1.4.2 Filesystem update [15.5MB] and Xsan 1.4.2 Admin update [9.1MB] addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility. They includes specific fixes for:

mounting Fibre Channel LUNs on Mac OS X Leopardmetadata controller failovers during power outages and network disconnectsmemory related errors that can result in slow system performance or hangsreducing fragmentation of large files and frame drops during ingestpreventing file system metadata corruptionhosting Xsan volumes on Intel-based metadata controllersdefragmenting files after a volume bandwidth expansioncompatibility with Apple and third party applications

Before installing, Apple advises that users review the Xsan Migration Guide. More detailed information on the update is available in this document.

Xsan 1.4.2 Uninstaller

Xsan 1.4.2 Uninstaller [224KB] will remove Xsan from your computer. It will also remove the Xsan Admin application and documentation files.

Before removing Xsan, Apple recommends that you back up all of your data and volumes.

Garage Band Jam Pack Voices 1.0.1

Garage Band Jam Pack Voices 1.0.1 [414KB] is an expansion pack including over 1500 royalty-free vocal loops and vocal instruments performed by professional singers and rappers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't understand why Apple won't say what some of these updates do. Under "What's in this update?" for the Radeon driver, the description basically boils down to "a new firmware". That's weaselly lameness.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Heh.... how about it..... "maybe this won't fry your 400 dollar graphics card like the earlier versions did". My friend had to send 2 x1900xt cards back to apple ... of course they replaced them. But maybe this will fix that stuff? ???
  • Reply 3 of 13
    No update can fix the horrible Voices Jam Pack. I had high hopes for that one...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Heh.... how about it..... "maybe this won't fry your 400 dollar graphics card like the earlier versions did". My friend had to send 2 x1900xt cards back to apple ... of course they replaced them. But maybe this will fix that stuff? ???

That didn't happen to me, although that would make it easier to return. Right now, mine has a faint chatter in the fan and that doesn't seem like enough to make it worth returning.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    1900XT update:

Best case scenario:

It fixes the issues.

Most likely scenario:

It under-clocks the card to stop it from over heating (in a similar fashion to what they've already done with the MacBook Pro chipsets in the past).

Worst case scenario:

It allows the stock 1900XT to work with the new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

1900XT update:

Best case scenario:

It fixes the issues.

Most likely scenario:

It under-clocks the card to stop it from over heating (in a similar fashion to what they've already done with the MacBook Pro chipsets in the past).

Worst case scenario:

It allows the stock 1900XT to work with the new Mac Pro.

How do you probe the GPU clock speed, is there a Mac app for that?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Jeff:

Ironically his name was Jeff... both of his cards started artifacting after some vigorous 3d modeling and game play. Basically they overheated. There is a rev1 and rev2... the first 2 were rev1... his new one hasn't artifacted yet... is a rev 2.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Jeff:

Ironically his name was Jeff... both of his cards started artifacting after some vigorous 3d modeling and game play. Basically they overheated. There is a rev1 and rev2... the first 2 were rev1... his new one hasn't artifacted yet... is a rev 2.

Were the artifacts something like a horizontal line that's mostly green? I am getting something like that, but mainly when playing HD video.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    His words:

"Geometry would extend forever, Knife effects, like someone was cutting into my monitor. The colors would be whatever was on the screen so if I was in a green area, then oddly placed green lines would be there"

PS: His suggestion... since you have a Mac Pro with the same card you should try and get a new one before your 1 year warranty is up... no matter what. Even if it isn't failing. Because they are prone to failure.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Thank you. I'll take a look. I installed the update and I'll try to stress it tonight and see if it still happens. If there is still a problem, then I'll complain about it.

I do have Applecare now.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I put an aftermarket cooler on my x1900 XT soon as i got my Mac Pro. No problems here. I run 2 monitors but don't play games. Unless Apple or somebody tells me what it does, I'm avoiding it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

I put an aftermarket cooler on my x1900 XT soon as i got my Mac Pro. No problems here. I run 2 monitors but don't play games. Unless Apple or somebody tells me what it does, I'm avoiding it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I thought I already asked this, but what cooler did you use, and why? Is the substitution easily reversible such that a person couldn't tell that it was replaced?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I know you can use Artic Cooling's GPU cooler. They are more quiet AND run cooler than the stock cooler. 4 screws hold it on.

Well I was going to paste you a link.. but it looks like they changed the design. Seems they still work though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186016

Here is the old design that people were using on their mac pros. I highly recommend this company when it comes to cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186002