Transferring 80 gigs of music from PC to HFS formatted external drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have 80+ gigs of music on my PC. My MacBook only has a 60 gig drive with around 12 gigs free, so I just bought an external drive (MyBook Pro II 1TB with triple interface) to move my music to.

The plan is, once I move the music to this drive, I shall buy my first ever portable music player, a 160 gig iPod Classic and load the songs onto it.

Thing is, since the MyBook came pre-formatted as HFS for the Mac, my PC cannot see the drive. So I shall have to go the convoluted way of connecting my MacBook to the PC, connecting the MyBook to the FW400 port of the MacBook and transfer the music from the PC directly to the MyBook.

Is this the only way to do this? I feel that this would take days to complete the transfer. Is there a better way?

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You could try MacDrive. It allows you to read and write to HFS volumes from Windows. They offer a 5-day trial. I don't know if there are any other limitations to that, but you can always give it a try.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks Teedoff. This looks like it could work!

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Why can't you just connect your external HD to Macbook and use Disk Utility to reformat it to FAT32?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lenny View Post

Why can't you just connect your external HD to Macbook and use Disk Utility to reformat it to FAT32?

I was under the impression that if my external were HFS, I would have journalling and also it would be a faster filesystem than FAT32, not to mention being safer. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Since I am going to be using this external exclusively on my MacBook and Mac Mini, I did not see any point in making the drive FAT 32. This iTunes transfer is a one-time exercise after which my PC would be retired for good.

Cheers